Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Education Overrated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    -"Be a good boy and go to school"

-"Your friends are doing better than you in class, i want you to quit football so you can concentrate more on your GCSE's"

-"You'll end up earning minimum wage for the rest of your life if you don't go to college"

-"Your grades are useless to employers unless you get a 1st class at a Russel group university"

-"Well since you already have student debt now, you might aswell spend a few more grands to get masters since your subject is extremely competitive."

I thought i did pretty well with a few A's B's and C's at GCSE and was happy with my results, but then signed up to this forum and saw that there are many people on here that did really well with A*'s but are disappointed with their grades, or did extremely well but got rejected. This for example..

(Original post by Philippamalko)
    GCSEs - 6A*s 6As
    Predicted A2 - A*A*A*A*
    Rejection from -Oxford - medicine - GCSEs too low
    Obviously knowledge is power therefore reading books and getting educated is important (not just doing it with the intentions of only getting a qualification from.) But a lot of people take it to the extreme in sacrificing their social lives and thinking that their grades are the most important things in the world + also look down on people that don't get into a certain group of university.

These people are setting themselves up to be disappointment later in life when they don't break into a high requirement job like investment banking or whichever career their aiming for, so personally i think education is over-rated, and would like to get other people's opinions

ReputationRep:
    yea man nerds on TSR who are unsuccessful with girls and get bullied on school can come online and suddenly become someone. I think education is really important and essential in terms of building a well-versed society but having education does not necessary = a good life

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with grafting for your 'dream' job?

ReputationRep:
    If you think life is about getting the most money possible then waste your youth on doing the best you can in education . It all depends what you want in life.

Id rather live a less stressful life with less money than a top earning career than be in a top earning career and have to neglect other aspects of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Whats wrong with grafting for your 'dream' job?
    Nothing, but you should'nt make that your Number 1 mission in life and then feel **** when you have an AAA, 1st class & masters

ReputationRep:
    Overrated by some people. /Thread.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same. I've kinda lost some interest in education in the past few years, mainly due to a few disappointments. But also, I started to question why I was stressing myself over all this crap that I don't even really care much about. Society tells us we have to care about it for some reason. But I genuinely don't. Well, not at the moment anyway. I only care about working whatever vaguely interesting job I can find so I can fund my hobbies and leisure.

I'm sure many of us smart enough realise that having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job these days, nor does leaving school with only GCSEs mean you'll end up on the dole your whole life. So I feel like it's whatever, you could be screwed or lucky whichever way you go. Just do what makes you happy.

I'm not saying education is bad or not important in some situations, and maybe I am slightly speaking out of bitterness, but I also feel like there's a lot more to life.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to a private school, I did two hours in the morning, then a half hour break, two more hours, lunch, two more hours. It was 9 to 5. Then in my state school it was three hours in the morning starting at 8, break, two more hours, lunch, two more hours.

I might be unique in thinking that spending so much time in school is a waste of childhood.

In essence: yes, I agree with your post.

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for education middle-upwards class teenagers who have so far never experienced genuine failure in their life would go well into their adulthood thinking that life is fair and they will get everything they want and even if they work really hard sometimes life kick them in the nards.

Basically Lottie and Julian need to be shot down by Oxford so their perspective and expectations are a teeny bit more realistic.

If only we had a organized official annual ritual to shoot down the aspirations of fame-obsessed working-downwards class kids. Like every year they are entered into some government department run X-factor auditions and all but the genuinely talented and best are discarded, with only Butlin Holiday stage shows or a re-assessment of their goals to resort to.

(Real talk: Jokes aside yes education is important, mostly for those pursuing a professional career that requires academic qualifications. It makes sense that people on TSR are grade obsessed seeing as they're students, students who are so into their grade ambitions they're contributing to this website before they've even got to uni, compared to those of us who stumbled across this place when we got there.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    having education does not necessary = a good life
    this

ReputationRep:
    OP I really agree with some of the points you made, however I generally don't think the quotes mean anything.
    Of course your parents are going to push you; they want you to do the best you possibly can. Even still, I'm at uni in my final year and I'm aiming for a 1st, but a 2:1 would be grand. My dad basically scoffed at the idea that I would be happy getting a 2:1 saying that nobody will employ me because that's what EVERYONE gets, apparently.

Your education is what you make it. Children going to school isn't just about learning facts. It's about developing as a person, making friends, etc. I think it's a shame that some people feel going to school was a waste. Although I suppose that if you were in a private school or something and there wasn't much focus on the social aspect, I can understand where they are coming from.

My parents put me in a school where they basically said they want their students to be happy, regardless of their intelligence. But when my parents discovered I actually had an IQ, they have been pushing me since day one. I'm frantically applying for jobs seeing as I am about to finish, and have had no luck so far. And yes I'm really quite worried what I'm going to do with my life. But I don't for a second regret anything I did at school, college, or uni (Except taking an extra class in Finance at uni, that was SOLID) and know that eventually it will get me where I want to be.

Having an education does not necessarily mean you will have a good life, of course not.
    But not having an education... where on earth would that leave you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linnerzx)
    OP I really agree with some of the points you made, however I generally don't think the quotes mean anything.
    Of course your parents are going to push you; they want you to do the best you possibly can. Even still, I'm at uni in my final year and I'm aiming for a 1st, but a 2:1 would be grand. My dad basically scoffed at the idea that I would be happy getting a 2:1 saying that nobody will employ me because that's what EVERYONE gets, apparently.

Your education is what you make it. Children going to school isn't just about learning facts. It's about developing as a person, making friends, etc. I think it's a shame that some people feel going to school was a waste. Although I suppose that if you were in a private school or something and there wasn't much focus on the social aspect, I can understand where they are coming from.

My parents put me in a school where they basically said they want their students to be happy, regardless of their intelligence. But when my parents discovered I actually had an IQ, they have been pushing me since day one. I'm frantically applying for jobs seeing as I am about to finish, and have had no luck so far. And yes I'm really quite worried what I'm going to do with my life. But I don't for a second regret anything I did at school, college, or uni (Except taking an extra class in Finance at uni, that was SOLID) and know that eventually it will get me where I want to be.

Having an education does not necessarily mean you will have a good life, of course not.
    But not having an education... where on earth would that leave you?
    Like Cheryl Cole, who apparently has no GCSEs, and she's done OK for herself

Though, I personally wouldn't recommend anyone skip doing GCSEs if they can help it. They're generally a good foundation to have, so at least get them out the way while you're in compulsory education, then do whatever you want afterwards as long as it gets you to where you want to be :yep:

I agree with most of your points, but on the other hand school has its downsides if you're unlucky enough to endure bullying, whcih can really lasting effects on a person's well-being many years later. But I guess that's less to do with actual education and more to do being in an institution with stupid little immature kids who don't know any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Like Cheryl Cole, who apparently has no GCSEs, and she's done OK for herself

Though, I personally wouldn't recommend anyone skip doing GCSEs if they can help it. They're generally a good foundation to have, so at least get them out the way while you're in compulsory education, then do whatever you want afterwards as long as it gets you to where you want to be :yep:

I agree with most of your points, but on the other hand school has its downsides if you're unlucky enough to endure bullying, whcih can really lasting effects on a person's well-being many years later. But I guess that's less to do with actual education and more to do being in an institution with stupid little immature kids who don't know any better.
    Yeah, Cheryl Cole, what a great role model she is! :P I think she was very lucky, considering the background she came from.
    Yeah, bullying is a huge downside, but as you said less of an education problem.

I just think cause now it is around exam time and things for A Levels/Uni people are doubting the hard work they put in sometimes, but for the most part it really does pay off! It has done for me so far! Fingers crossed I'll pass my degree and everything... :|

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.