Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been asked to do a table like this

Column headings are -Organelle Function How the structure of the organelle is linked to its function

organelles- Nucleus Lysosome Chromatin etc

How do I go about filling it out i have a rough idea on the structure and function but i cant seem to link it

Thank you all help given rep

ReputationRep:
    For example:

Nucleus
    Structure - Nuclear envelope is a phospholipid bilayer
    Function - Seperates the contents (DNA and related transcription and duplication enzymes) from the cell cytoplasm and prevents other macromolecules from freely diffusing.

Structure - Nuclear pores
    Function - Provide aqueous channels and allow smaller molecules to freely diffuse and also structures such as mRNA

And so on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaB5051)
    Hello,

I have been asked to do a table like this

Column headings are -Organelle Function How the structure of the organelle is linked to its function

organelles- Nucleus Lysosome Chromatin etc

How do I go about filling it out i have a rough idea on the structure and function but i cant seem to link it

Thank you all help given rep
    Organelle Name, Function, Description, How structure links

Ribosome - Protein Synthesis - In eukaryotic 80S (larger), in prokaryotic 70S (smaller.) Made up of 2 sub units - High in abundance

Mitochondria - Aerobic Respiration - Site of aerobic respiration where ATP is produced - Cristae has large SA for respiration to occur

SER - Synthesis and store of carbohydrates and lipids. - NA

RER - (Glyco)protein synthesis - Can be continuous with nucleus and has ribosomes on its outside - NA

Golgi Body - Secretory System - Packages proteins into vesicles (lysosomes) - NA

Lysosomes - Autolysis, exocytosis, breaking down worn out organelles / cells - Contain hydrolytic enzymes which break down substances by hydrolysis into smaller, soluble molecules. - NA

Nucleus:

Nucleolus - Synthesises ribosomes - NA - NA

Chromatin - genetic material - Uncondensed DNA wrapped around a histone protein. - NA

Nucleoplasm - NA - Jelly-like matrix making up the bulk of the nucleus and has proteins dissolved in it. - NA

Nuclear pores - lets substances out of the nucleus - NA -NA

Nuclear membrane - 'Chooses' what enters / exits cell - NA - NA

How its structure is related to it's function isn't always as obvious and easy to describe as it is with, say, the mitochondria.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.