Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently doing Higher English this year in Scotland and was just wondering if anyone has any good discursive essay ideas that are not cliches; that are possibly questions that take a different prospective of stuff that has been done a billion times and over. I have thought about doing the American Dream and how it is a delusion for the working class or that if it is still achievable but I dont know either way how to go about doing them - like what should I put into it content-wise and etc. Help would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I got some ideas on what your discursive essay can be on. Are you a christian or are you very fond of Christmas? Well, Im a christian and today in our society, 21st century, most of us forget the real reason why christams happened. Non-Christians celebrate it because it is a season or maybe a tradition- but they need to know the real reason why Christmas is so important to christians, etc? You can research the real reason or ask me if you want;']

Another one I think is really good is about the Fashion Industry.... Why do they always portray skinny, anorexic models? They make other people in bigger sizes feel bad and maybe they can ..... You get the jisst;'] It really impacts the society and divides it too... My sister did that for her discursive essay and got 19/20..... It is really good...

Hope this helpsxxx

Ty

CD

ReputationRep:
    Woow thats good getting 19/20! What level was that at? Mines will be out of 25 and marked with only odd numbers so i cant get like 18 or anything like that. There pretty good topics and good prospectives; the model industry one may be done quite a bit though so im a bit worried about that, xmas for christians seems good though I'll probs ask my friends is well for ideas and hints and if not I can ask my teacher Thank you though! x

ReputationRep:
    Oh your welcome;']

CD
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MC1723)
    ]discursive essay ideas that are not cliches;
    I have thought about doing the American Dream and how it is a delusion for the working class

I would say best to avoid that, it's extremely cliché.

I think with any essay though, you have to spend so much time on it that it's best to pick something you actually care alot about, so that you stay focused on it. If you know alot about The American Dream, go for it

Is there any specific remit for the assignment? i.e. Has to discuss plays etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I would say best to avoid that, it's extremely cliché.

I think with any essay though, you have to spend so much time on it that it's best to pick something you actually care alot about, so that you stay focused on it. If you know alot about The American Dream, go for it

Is there any specific remit for the assignment? i.e. Has to discuss plays etc.
    Nah it just has to be a discursive essay; can be one-sided, persuasive and etc. Do you by any chance have any ideas? My teacher says you could always take something that has been done already but just take a different prospective from it
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MC1723)
    Nah it just has to be a discursive essay; can be one-sided, persuasive and etc. Do you by any chance have any ideas? My teacher says you could always take something that has been done already but just take a different prospective from it

Hard to say really. Like I said above, make it something you're interested in and half the battle is won already.

Could use TSR latest threads box maybe :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    maybe.. haha thanks anyways

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.