Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCAS reference as an international student in university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm currently finishing up my BA in Political Science at McGill in Montreal, Canada. I've decided to apply to UK law schools and am currently filling out the application/deciding which schools I want to choose in my 5. I'm a bit confused as to the reference. For a high school student it seems quite simple to get a reference as your teachers know who you are as a person and student for the most part. For me, in a big university like McGill, the student/professor interaction isn't really there. I have talked to a few profs, but none of them know me as well as it sounds they should in the UCAS application. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue, or can refer me to somewhere where I can find people who had similar issues?
    Thanks a bunch in advance, looking forward to studying in the UK next year.

-Filippo

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Just ask a professor who you like and likes you, or whose class you did well in, to write you one. Obviously ask politely. And then sit down with them for a brief chat to answer any q's they have/give them an overview of yourself. They might also like to see your personal statement for more info and may also ask for a copy of your grades so far depending on your uni's system (they may be able to access it anyway).

Lots of people here have the same issue applying for postgrad, as long as you offer them enough info on yourself it should be fine. Mostly the unis here will just want to see that you turn up for stuff, submit work on time, participate in group sessions etc.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    As kpwxx suggests, you just need to find a professor who you think would be willing to do it and ask them (very very politely!). Have a chat with them about your goals, ambitions, etc. Tell them about some extra-curricular interests, especially volunteer work. Give them a big "thanks so much" and then hope for best. That's what I did. However, I waited until the final week of school before Christmas break when I knew he would be in a good mood

BTW, if this is for 2013 you better get on it fast. The UCAS deadline for your application is January 15th.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to ask several professors to write a short paragraph about you, and for one of them to combine it into your UCAS reference. You can only submit one reference but it's fine for several people to contribute to it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful knowing other people have had similar issues. I ended up emailing a professor in a class that I aced. Waiting on a reply, but I think she will say yes. This is for 2013. I don't think it will take more than a week to get done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanuckTO)
    Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful knowing other people have had similar issues. I ended up emailing a professor in a class that I aced. Waiting on a reply, but I think she will say yes. This is for 2013. I don't think it will take more than a week to get done.
    Make sure she knows when the deadline is, in my experience professors often delay this kind of stuff (though mine was great, friends have had issues).

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot it's in the process of happening now and will be ready by next tuesday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.