Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need help revising for English Language and Literature Edexcel Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the 9th and 10th of January I will be doing my English Language and English Literature exams. My English Language exam is about Of Mice And Men and my English Literature exam Section A is Animal Farm and Section B is Of mice and men. I would appreciate if anyone had any revision tips, revision sites or revision videos that could help me with both of these exams.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    I have the English language one on Of Mice and Men I would suggest just reading the book as many times as you can, getting a revision guide and doing lots of past papers and learning about the background history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could try reading the mark scheme of past papers. You then can understand what they are looking for and what to include...

ReputationRep:
    Same I've got the lit exam on the 9th, i did the language exam last year though.

For the Language one u really need to write about Steinbeck's intentions, and comment on the language. So revision for this should include practicing how the writer presents certain ideas of the novella; as well as past papers.

Whereas for the lit one it's more story base-the significance of certain themes and characters- make sure you include historical, social and cultural context in the lit exam for the OMM section. For example the dream George and Lennie share is their version of the American dream; Candy tries to be a part of their dream because he knows his position in 1930s American society (the vulnerable and elderly were to be taken advantage over when they became no more of use) Revision tips for the lit exam, find a bit about the time period in which the book has been set in, try to analyse the themes and characters; their significance, why are they important. AND obviously past papers so you can get use to the exam style questions as well as practicing how long you will spend on each question.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the tips

ReputationRep:
    I did Of Mice and Men last year. Main thing for me was to learn about the themes and then doing a lot of revision on each character (key quotes for each), and maybe some about the scene locations (e.g. bunkhouse) in the book and what they represent. To be honest, the context of the book didn't go much further for me than "Survival of the fittest, prejudice against elderly/crippled/women/racism, and the American Dream". A brief mention of the context in your answer is all you really need.

I got an A!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.