Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys im thinking of applying as an external candidate to do AS Maths at a different college than mine as I did not have Add maths at GCSE so i couldnt do as maths. At gcse i got a low A in maths.

I study 3 sciences and no other subjects as I dropped my 4th subject (business). So i really want to get another AS Level and I would like maths. I would even be happy with a grade B in it. It would also help with the mechanics physics modules we are doing. I have about 2 1hour study periods a day in school as well.

Is this possible with 1/2 hours a day and 4/5 hours at the weekend? Many thanks. Also, what modules should I take on CCEA? I would like to do mechanics module not statistics. What modules are best to take if you are self teaching?

ReputationRep:
    It's more than possible! I don't really think it would matter which applied modules you chose. I do AQA maths, but I doubt there's too much of a difference. I'd probably do M1 as you will have already encountered some of the content in physics I'm guessing! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    This person will be your friend throughout your studies:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/maths247

So will this person:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ExamSolutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)

So will this person:
    This. I'm effectively self teaching myself the whole AS further maths with these 2, they are so helpful.

ReputationRep:
    wtf :lolwut: your college didn't let you do AS maths because you didn't have add maths? :lolwut:

If you do 1/2 hours and 4/5 hours on the weekend consistently for 5 months, that's easily enough to learn the full a-level and get an a*

if you just want AS then go for c1-2 m1 but honestly, if you'd be willing to put in that much time, there's no reason you can't do the full a-level

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

You don't really need to worry about what modules to take, because you don't get an awful lot of choice. If you want to do Mechanics (the right choice in my opinion, M1 is mostly covered in Physics. This doesn't mean you don't need to learn it though!) you would have to do C1, C2 and M1.

C1 is easy, it's really just higher A* level GCSE stuff. You should be fine as long as you put the work in. C2 is a bit more advanced, but I can't really speak for it as we haven't done much.

Khan Academy and Exam Solutions are both amazing for Maths. The first can also be used for your sciences.

I'd recommend you buy the textbook and work through it, using the above sites to complement your learning. The questions in the textbook will be of most use to you.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)

So will this person:
    Haha! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    wtf :lolwut: your college didn't let you do AS maths because you didn't have add maths? :lolwut:

If you do 1/2 hours and 4/5 hours on the weekend consistently for 5 months, that's easily enough to learn the full a-level and get an a*

if you just want AS then go for c1-2 m1 but honestly, if you'd be willing to put in that much time, there's no reason you can't do the full a-level
    I would be more than willing. I just feel 3 AS Levels isn't enough And yep, thats right. ahaha. Ok, so I need 2 core modules and 1 applied? so C1,C2 and M1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethery)
    Absolutely.

You don't really need to worry about what modules to take, because you don't get an awful lot of choice. If you want to do Mechanics (the right choice in my opinion, M1 is mostly covered in Physics. This doesn't mean you don't need to learn it though!) you would have to do C1, C2 and M1.

C1 is easy, it's really just higher A* level GCSE stuff. You should be fine as long as you put the work in. C2 is a bit more advanced, but I can't really speak for it as we haven't done much.

Khan Academy and Exam Solutions are both amazing for Maths. The first can also be used for your sciences.

I'd recommend you buy the textbook and work through it, using the above sites to complement your learning. The questions in the textbook will be of most use to you.

Good luck.
    oK thanks I think after my AS exams in chemistry and physics end (17th) jan. I will start revising for maths and get my mum to ring the college and ask them to enter me. So you honestly do think it is possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    I would be more than willing. I just feel 3 AS Levels isn't enough And yep, thats right. ahaha. Ok, so I need 2 core modules and 1 applied? so C1,C2 and M1?
    for AS yeah, u need C1-2 and an applied. i'd say go for M1, cause you're engineering, but yeah.

honestly, if you put in that many hours consistently for 5/6 months, you could easily do the full A-level (which is C3-4 + another applied from M2 or S1)

ReputationRep:
    oK thanks I think after my AS exams in chemistry and physics end (17th) jan. I will start revising for maths and get my mum to ring the college and ask them to enter me. So you honestly do think it is possible?
    Definitely possible. However, just a bit of other advice... I honestly suggest you go and speak to them yourself. You're a bit too old to be getting your mum to ring up, really, and they will take you much more seriously if you do. If they say no, then possibly it's the time to get her to ring if you think she might be able to convince them, but I think you should approach yourself first.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible. However, just a bit of other advice... I honestly suggest you go and speak to them yourself. You're a bit too old to be getting your mum to ring up, really, and they will take you much more seriously if you do. If they say no, then possibly it's the time to get her to ring if you think she might be able to convince them, but I think you should approach yourself first.
    http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...ooklet_v16.pdf ... they will definitely let me But thanks for your advice :P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...ooklet_v16.pdf ... they will definitely let me But thanks for your advice :P
    Ah, fair enough! I'm in a similar position myself, so I was just sharing how I was going to go about it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough! I'm in a similar position myself, so I was just sharing how I was going to go about it :lol:
    Oh you are doing it too?

ReputationRep:
    Your input has been taken seriously people. I just emailed the college to ask if I would be able to be entered for C1, C2 and M1. haha, thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you are doing it too?
    I'm hoping to do Further Maths AS, but over two years. Going to speak to the head of department about being entered for the first unit in summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.