Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my mother is considering doing a masters in english. Problem is we live on a small island and while it's not too difficult to get to the UK it's not practical for her to go regularly for lessons. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any universities in the UK which offer a masters in english course based purely or at least mostly online? A few trips a year wouldn't be too much of a problem but regular ones would be. They'd also need to accept a 2:2 BA in english. We've already looked at the open University but it's course doesn't start until september so any other suggestions would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Hey, my mother is considering doing a masters in english. Problem is we live on a small island and while it's not too difficult to get to the UK it's not practical for her to go regularly for lessons. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any universities in the UK which offer a masters in english course based purely or at least mostly online? A few trips a year wouldn't be too much of a problem but regular ones would be. They'd also need to accept a 2:2 BA in english. We've already looked at the open University but it's course doesn't start until september so any other suggestions would be great.
    Lots of universities offer some form of distance learning. I used this website to narrow down your mother's criteria and it came out with 20 results (e.g. Bath Spa, Birmingham, Birmingham City, Kingston, Lancaster etc.). I imagine most, if not all, will have prescribed starting points though. You cannot get round the problem of academics having to actually provide content and mark essays etc., etc..

ReputationRep:
    Most UK Masters courses start in Sept/Oct, whether online or 'normal' route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Lots of universities offer some form of distance learning. I used this website to narrow down your mother's criteria and it came out with 20 results (e.g. Bath Spa, Birmingham, Birmingham City, Kingston, Lancaster etc.). I imagine most, if not all, will have prescribed starting points though. You cannot get round the problem of academics having to actually provide content and mark essays etc., etc..
    Thanks for the website, looks really useful. Yeah most of them do but I have seen one or two where you can start whenever, just have to keep looking I guess.
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Most UK Masters courses start in Sept/Oct, whether online or 'normal' route.
    True but a few don't. Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The Open University

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The most popular and used by international students are:
    Open U
    London University (external candidates)

ReputationRep:
    Open University is designed for this and is very good at it. They'd accept her with a 2.2.

ReputationRep:
    Courses are started in Sep/Oct month but London university is best option for you...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.