Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'm in year 11 and am pretty set on doing medicine...for now.
    I'm going to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level. Economics As.
    But I was wondering what kind of extra curriculum stuff I needed to do medicine. Yh, I'm starting my work experience soon but is there anything else? I just don't want to let it get too late! Also I play the keyboard grade 4, just for fun though!
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)
    Hey
    But I was wondering what kind of extra curriculum stuff I needed to do medicine. Yh, I'm starting my work experience soon but is there anything else? I just don't want to let it get too late! Also I play the keyboard grade 4, just for fun though!
    Thanks!!
    read around the subject if you are applying to Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Like warfarin said, you should be reading around your subject, not just for Oxbridge, but for your overall application. Perhaps you could subscribe to a medical journal like the Student BMJ and pick out articles that interest you? Other than that, volunteer work would be really good to have. Medical schools like the long-term committment to a volunteer work placement. A couple of friends of mine have done placements in care homes, and I did a year long placement with a mental health charity Other than that, you could get involved in activities that show leadership or good teamworking abilities, but just make sure you don't take up so much that you start to slip on your grades. Best of luck with your future application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)
    Hey
    Thanks!!
    Volunteering is extremely important. Contact local elderly homes and go there for, say, every Saturday morning. Some medical schools don't really consider you unless you have completed some volunteering work.

The keyboard's great- universities want to know that there's more to you than just academics. Keep going with that!

There's no must-have list of things for medicine. Perhaps do Duke of Edinburgh and pick up a sport, but otherwise you seem set to go! A levels are a challenge, but if you try your best, you'll get the grades you need.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of activities that involve helping people and dedicating to society such as work in charity shops or old people homes

Also lots of clever and intresting personal hobbies and interests

GOOD LUCK IN MEDICNE !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.