Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PHYA4 Forces Question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I had an attempt at PHYA4 June 2011, Got 56/75 which I think was just about an A* but I did incredibly poorly on Q1 scoring 1/7.

I was wondering if you could please help me understand how to derive the formula and for part 1a)ii and how to correctly answer the question for 1b) as a mark scheme can only go so far.

page1
    page2

thanks a lot.

For 1aii the principle is that there needs to be a resultant centripetal force mv2/r on the object in the van if it is to move in a circle. This force will be downwards when the van is at the top of the bridge.
      There are two actual forces acting on the parcel, its weight mg downwards (positive) and the reaction force R upwards (negative).
      The sum of these two must be equal to the centripetal force.
      So mg - R = mv2/r

Rearrange for R

b.
      This formula tells you what happens to R as v gets larger.

The question is referring to what happens when R=0
      This happens when mg = mv2/r
      At this point the parcel just starts to leave the shelf as R becomes zero.
      Plug the numbers in to see what happens when v=15m/s

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.