Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im currently at college doing my HE in health, ive applied to uni but ive also recently applied for a job as a maternity support worker.

Im just looking for opinions on which is better to go down the midwifery route, carry on with college and uni, or complete college and get a job in thw hope that the hospital put me through uni?

Advice? Opinions? Experience?

All is useful!
    DanielleRia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleRia)
    Im currently at college doing my HE in health, ive applied to uni but ive also recently applied for a job as a maternity support worker.

Im just looking for opinions on which is better to go down the midwifery route, carry on with college and uni, or complete college and get a job in thw hope that the hospital put me through uni?

Advice? Opinions? Experience?

All is useful!
    DanielleRia
    The NHS already funds midwifery courses, so they aren't going to put you through uni unless you apply like everyone else. It's not the kind of job you can get through 'climbing the ladder', so it would be quicker for you to apply to university straight after college, or take a gap year to get experience in the field.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i see, so say if i got the job i applied for would it be better to go part time and finish college, then id have atleast 6 months experience on a ward??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleRia)
    Ahh i see, so say if i got the job i applied for would it be better to go part time and finish college, then id have atleast 6 months experience on a ward??
    There are only two ways to become a midwife: undergraduate degree or a master's conversation course, which has massive stipulations based upon what degree you did.

As far as I can see, getting relevant experience for midwifery is difficult so if you manage to get six months paid experience then that will make you stand out when it comes to applying for the undergraduate course. Most people usually have generic care experience and have to show how it is relevant.

You are going to have to finish college in some form to meet the academic entrance requirements of the course, but work experience is probably far more beneficial for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.