Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is really really stressing me out. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My college course finishes in a few months and I need something to do after it. I don't want to do another college course as in my book that's not going any where (It's not stepping up the education level).

I've done diplomas in Engineering and Business.

I don't want to:
    - Do manual labour
    - Work in a non-progressing job (Jobs that are easy to reach the highest level in)
    - Work in retail

I don't mind going to Uni but I don't want to do a degree for the sake of doing a degree- I would want to do one in something i'd enjoy.

I have no hobbies and no key interests.

Ideally I'd like to start my own little business but I don't know what in yet
    Spoiler:
    Show

Every time I tell people that I want to start a business they ask me why my idea is. I tell them I don't know yet. They then question me whether I should be starting a business. The fact is I like to create things- As a kid I used to make things, I used to run competitions with my family and little things like 'Adopt a teddy bear' with my brother where I gave him pictures/ notes from the teddy bear. I'd love to create a business and eventually get someone to run it so I can focus on growing it and starting other businesses. People just don't understand this though

I've been thinking about accountancy things in London but you've gotta be good at maths for that. In all honesty i'm ok at maths but i'm no wizz.

I honestly don't know what to do- the careers advisor is fully booked for a few months so I can't talk to her any time soon (What use is that? I'll be finishing in a few months :| )

Anyone else in the same position? What are you going to do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Random thought: a friend of mine works as a "freelance inventor". Basically he's an self-employed electrical engineer and people who have an idea for something they want to make will ring him up, talk him through what needs doing and he'll implement it. For example, last year he worked on self-weighing luggage, i.e. a suitcase that you pack and will tell you whether you can get on a plane without incurring a surcharge for overweight luggage. Basically, a chap rang him up and said "this is what I want to do, can you make me a prototype", my friend made him one, sent it over and got paid for it. Another project he worked on was making equipment for a team competing in a round-the-world yacht race. They needed high-spec versions of fairly standard kit, e.g. GPSs, video cameras, etc. that would survive at sea in a yacht. So he built kit that works and keeps working in an environment with highly variable temperatures, when there's lots of seawater sloshing about, working off solar charged batteries which sometimes kick out 13volt and sometime 75 depending on how much charge they've got, etc. etc.

His degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm not sure where he went from there, but maybe a thought... All of my friends who work in engineering seem to have similarly exciting jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ansolon)
    Random thought: a friend of mine works as a "freelance inventor". Basically he's an self-employed electrical engineer and people who have an idea for something they want to make will ring him up, talk him through what needs doing and he'll implement it. For example, last year he worked on self-weighing luggage, i.e. a suitcase that you pack and will tell you whether you can get on a plane without incurring a surcharge for overweight luggage. Basically, a chap rang him up and said "this is what I want to do, can you make me a prototype", my friend made him one, sent it over and got paid for it. Another project he worked on was making equipment for a team competing in a round-the-world yacht race. They needed high-spec versions of fairly standard kit, e.g. GPSs, video cameras, etc. that would survive at sea in a yacht. So he built kit that works and keeps working in an environment with highly variable temperatures, when there's lots of seawater sloshing about, working off solar charged batteries which sometimes kick out 13volt and sometime 75 depending on how much charge they've got, etc. etc.

His degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm not sure where he went from there, but maybe a thought... All of my friends who work in engineering seem to have similarly exciting jobs.
    Sounds good. I didn't think that was possible lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    My college course finishes in a few months and I need something to do after it. I don't want to do another college course as in my book that's not going any where (It's not stepping up the education level).

I don't want to:
    - Do manual labour
    - Work in a non-progressing job (Jobs that are easy to reach the highest level in)
    - Work in retail

I don't mind going to Uni but I don't want to do a degree for the sake of doing a degree- I would want to do one in something i'd enjoy.

Spoiler:
    Show

Every time I tell people that I want to start a business they ask me why my idea is. I tell them I don't know yet. They then question me whether I should be starting a business. The fact is I like to create things- As a kid I used to make things, I used to run competitions with my family and little things like 'Adopt a teddy bear' with my brother where I gave him pictures/ notes from the teddy bear. I'd love to create a business and eventually get someone to run it so I can focus on growing it and starting other businesses. People just don't understand this though

I've been thinking about accountancy things in London but you've gotta be good at maths for that. In all honesty i'm ok at maths but i'm no wizz.

I honestly don't know what to do- the careers advisor is fully booked for a few months so I can't talk to her any time soon (What use is that? I'll be finishing in a few months :| )

as far as uni goes i totally understand your point about not wanting to go for the sake of it but do look at the courses as unis offer a range of buisness courses including applied buisness and international buisness as well as ordinary buisness and of course other buisness. this would give you a chance to advance your buisness skills, possibly make contacts.

ReputationRep:

I don't want to:
    - Do manual labour
    - Work in retail

Spoiler:
    Show

sorry cant edit my last post so i'll add another. excuse my bad spelling of business. As far as uni goes although the deadline for equal consideration for 2013 is fast approaching you can definitley make an application and apply through extra.

Or consider an apprenticeship, i believe there are some buisness ones available although the pay isn't that great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    sorry cant edit my last post so i'll add another. excuse my bad spelling of business. As far as uni goes although the deadline for equal consideration for 2013 is fast approaching you can definitley make an application and apply through extra.

Or consider an apprenticeship, i believe there are some buisness ones available although the pay isn't that great.
    Thanks. I'm going to apply for Uni anyway just in case I don't find anything.

I can't find the buzzword for my college though, and no one i've asked can remember it :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm going to apply for Uni anyway just in case I don't find anything.

I can't find the buzzword for my college though, and no one i've asked can remember it :/
    yeah most 6th forms keep their buzzword secret, they wont put it anywhere online. if no-one can remember it then you'll need to ask your tutor. you can still get on with a draft of your personal statement in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    yeah most 6th forms keep their buzzword secret, they wont put it anywhere online. if no-one can remember it then you'll need to ask your tutor. you can still get on with a draft of your personal statement in the meantime.
    I can't find it out until next tuesday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.