Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my first year in civil engineering at the university of Birmingham. I actually love the degree in general, and the opportunity it gives for me to travel in the future, but i have recently been getting doubts.

After months of searching online, i have not been able to find out what the salary is roughly for an engineer. Some say it will be around £50K after some experience, others say £30K. what is the average salary of a civil engineer. And is it worth the time and effort if you leave university with a £36K+ (4 years of £9K each) debt?

And i have recently found out degrees in economics or finance tend to be more rewarding salary wise, if this is the case, is it worth me carrying on in my degree? Would it be wise for me to change to chemical engineering or mechanical?

ReputationRep:
    Don't change to try and get a salary bump, it may well backfire. You mention chemical engineering, but do you really think you'll do well enough to end up in a good job if you don't have a genuine interest in it?
    If civil is what you like/what your instinct told you to do, stick with it, you wont have money worries in any of the engineering disciplines really!

That being said, if you don't like civil that much, no it's not worth carrying on with your degree.
    Hope you come to a decision soon man

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.