Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, i am a civil engineering student in my first year, and was wondering how i can transfer over to an american university in my second year or third to carry on my degree. I want to move over to America, and preferable get into a good university. Was wondering if anyone knows how to go about this? or if anyone has undergone this process before?

    The reason why i am moving is because my whole family, who i live with, are relocating to the states, and as i live at home, i wanted to go with them.

    Kind Regards.

    Yes, it's definitely possible to transfer It sounds like you're not too specific about things yet except knowing that you want to continue in civil engineering, so start researching what unis are in your family's area--that is, if you want to be near them. Or look at unis that are in the next state or not too far away. If you're not too picky about location as long as it's in the U.S., take a look at schools that have really good civil engineering programs.

    Most of your classes will likely transfer... it's just a matter of contacting the university and asking them what their entry requirements for you are after you explain where you're from and what you've completed. If the UK works similar to here, they may send a transcript to schools you're applying to in the US and take care of that for you.

    Oh, and when you're looking at "unis" in the US, look at BOTH colleges and universities. I know there's a difference between each but a college is EXACTLY the same as a university here in the U.S.--same quality of education, the only real difference is that colleges here tend to have fewer departments and specialise in things--so some colleges have almost all math and science stuff while others are all liberal arts. Some have absolutely everything. Just depends. That and there's no graduate schools on campus... so colleges are all ungrads that are getting their associates or bachelor's degree.

    Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.