Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To what extent are we supposed to know cancer risk factors. I find it very general and non-specific. Some risk factors are old-age, alcohol intake etc. But how do you explain that old-age increase risk of cancer - or are we supposed to know it in this much detail? I know in the past papers AQA have concentrated on CHD risk factors rather than cancer but it's still in the spec.

ReputationRep:
    Cancer is to do with things such as smoking, genetic pre disposition and exposure to certain substances e.g. asbestos which causes lung cancer.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You should check the AQA specification to see how much detail/knowledge of cancer is required. I doubt you'll be asked directly to explain why older aged people are more susceptible to cancer, but just in case, it's to do with older aged people having weaker immune systems.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have an understanding of the basic principles of what causes cancer, you should be able to relate anything back to it, the daily mail does it all the time! :P

Old-age for example, you could say something along the lines of "Due to having such a long life, elderly people have had longer to potentially be exposed to carcinogens, which puts them at a higher risk than those that have lived shorter lives."

Although, I don't think they want cancer in that much detail, There's only about half a page on it in each of my books. The gist of what you need to know is that a carcinogen is something that causes cancer, e.g, cigarette smoke, asbestos, U.V light, and that cancer is a malignant tumor (it spreads throughout the body) which is caused by a genetic mutation in the DNA of a cell, which causes it to mass-clone.
    Don't panic about it too much, I haven't seen even a slight hint of a question about cancer in any of the past papers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.