Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited to a first round interview for the business consultant role. Is there anybody who has also been invited to interview? Or anybody who has any previous experience with IBM interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year. The first assessment centre involved no interviews. It was two group exercises and a retest of the IPAT exam. They filled out the day with a few interviews etc (which are useful if you want to learn info to use in the second assessment centre which does involve an interview).

The group exercises can be quite tough as they are very time pressured. Just remember, they don't care about the end result really, they care about how you interact with the other members of the team and how you approach the task. As for the tests, they're easier than the online versions, just to check you didn't cheat (that's what they told us on the day lol).

Oh and a final heads up, if you do get through both assessment centres you go through to something called matching. You're like 95%+ sure you're going to get a job at that stage, it's just where they match you to a role and then put you into a final interview with someone from that area. If you don't get an offer following a matching interview, they simply put you in for another one, so not too pressurised! However be careful not to get pushed into something you don't want. You can always decline an interview if you don't think the role is right for you, they'll advise against it but it'll work. They tried to put me into the software consulting group and I declined, within 2 days they gave me an interview for the area I requested, so definitely worth standing your ground at the end of the process.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! Just two more questions.

Is there anything that you wish you had known before the 1st assessment day?
    Is there anything that you can do to prepare for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frenchstudies)
    Thanks for your help! Just two more questions.

Is there anything that you wish you had known before the 1st assessment day?
    Is there anything that you can do to prepare for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, the first assessment centre is just about proving you're a good team player. Don't be a silent member of the group, but similarly don't talk over other people aggressively. It's amazing how many people literally shout over others during assessment centres, they just don't seem to understand that is about the worst thing you can do!

As for the exercises themselves, you'll be given all the info on the day. It's time pressured, keep an eye on the clock. Nothing much you can do to prepare to be honest, just make sure you're well rested as it can be a long day!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help! It's very much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.