Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost 1 and a half stone. Still not happy - help please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. So basically since June 2012 I've gone from 11st 8lbs (nearing 12st at my heaviest, to be honest) to 10st. I'm 5'9'' and at the time 10st was actually my aim. However, on reaching it, I'm still pretty disgusted with my body.

I've been so reluctant to make this post but I think to really get my point across I need to include pictures. This is cringey as hell for me but it's gotta be done. Apologies for the poor quality and the terrible old boxers I'm wearing today - probably should've worn briefs but it's done now!

EXERCISE
    I usually run 1-2 times a week and then 4-5 times a week (sometimes the same day as runs) I'd do one of these 2 routines I got from some random website which is probably rubbish, but did lose me one and a half stone. I would do each exercise for 45s with 15s rest in between and repeat the set 3 times with 1 min rest in between each set (amounting to a measly 17 mins altogether including rests):

Routine 1:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Moutain climber
    Flutter kicks
    Bicycle crunches

Routine 2:
    Bicep curls with books in bags for life (it was supposed to be chin-ups but I don't have access to a bar of any sort so replaced it with this)
    Push-ups
    Chair dips
    Twist crunches
    Wall sit

So yeah, I realise this isn't exactly a lot but after the 17 mins I would be shattered - I couldn't do another set so I stuck with that. I got a lot better at all the exercises and can run a lot further and generally feel fitter now, but as you can tell from the pictures I'm still not in shape at all.

DIET
    Here's an average day for me:

Breakfast: bowl of cereal
    Snack: piece of fruit
    Lunch: wholemeal wrap with salad, tuna and a bit of cheese
    Snack: couple pieces of fruit
    Dinner: varies a lot but e.g. wholemeal pasta with sauce and salad, Bolognese with wholemeal spaghetti etc.

I don't weigh out my servings, but I promise you they're average servings. I might have something unhealthy (e.g. a chocolate bar or a meal out) once a fortnight.

CAN YOU HELP?
    So can you help me? I don't have a gym membership and although I'd prefer not to have to pay for one, I am willing if it's the only realistic option.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Your diet isn't very good. Where is your protein? Youre not getting much. Where's the fat? It's carbs and more carbs.

You also need to up the intensity of your resistance training. It sounds like you're only doing cardi (which is what circuit training is). You need some muscle in order to get muscle tone. Lift heavier, eat a lot better. See the stickies for guidance, but as a general rule a meal is protein base (eggs, meat, fish etc) + salad/veg/fruit + some carbs (rice, potato, bread etc). It's simple really.
    The stickies show examples of good routines and the nutrition sticky will help with that. Joining a gym will be very beneficial although if you can't there are plenty of bodyweight exercises you can do, not just your typical pushups and pullups.

You're the same height as me, have been training the same length of time and weigh 1.5 stone LESS than me but you're in worse shape due to your program and nutrition (not boasting, just saying)-- you need to put weight ON, the right type of weight. You've basically done the silly thing most people do and that's just concentrating on weight loss rather than fat loss/muscle building. Losing weight alone doesn't mean you'll have a great physique. You just get skinny fat.

ReputationRep:
    Your diet is really bad. Eating that much fruit or even one piece of fruit a day will inhibit weight loss... plus so many carbs wow....

It looks like you're skinny fat, i.e. you are fairly thin but you lack muscle so it just looks soggy, you need to work far more on your muscles otherwise you will never have a great body, even when you're thin. Especially your pecs, they seem really neglected.

If you're REALLY not up for a gym, then go to a playground and try calisthenics. Remember it's all about time under tension, not doing a certain amount of reps...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. Yeah I guess I was focussing so much on the number on the scales and not enough on what will actually help me. I've read the stickies and will work out a routine that will help me. I think for a couple of months I will try not joining the gym, but if I'm still seeing a lack of progress I will have to join - I'm reluctant to pay but I guess the investment will be worth it!

(Original post by cyfer)
    Eating that much fruit or even one piece of fruit a day will inhibit weight loss...
    Wow okay this surprised me. Should I avoid snacking on fruit altogether then? With my lifestyle I find it hard to have more than 3 meals a day so is there anything else you would advise for snacking or should I just make sure I'm full enough from the meals themselves to not need anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Wow okay this surprised me. Should I avoid snacking on fruit altogether then? With my lifestyle I find it hard to have more than 3 meals a day so is there anything else you would advise for snacking or should I just make sure I'm full enough from the meals themselves to not need anything else?
    Don't snack at all. 3 meals is more than enough to satiate a person for the whole of a day.

There are 3 reasons why people snack:
    1) They have a psychological disorder and snacking becomes a form of OCD procrastination/something to fill the time.
    2) They're hungry
    3) They have cravings

The first is simply a mental issue you need to solve.
    The second and third are solved by ensuring you're eating nutrient dense food. For example, a snickers bar and several hundred celery have the same calorific values, but the celery will fill you up and not leave you hungry far faster. Why? Because it is far more nutrient dense.

Just remember to eat meat, carbs (beans preferrably, but if not go for BROWN carbs like brown rice, brown bread) and mixed veg (not things like sweet pepper or sweet corn. I'm talking about broccoli, asparagus, spinach)

Snacking isn't necessary, it's just a gap created by modern nutrient lacking diets due to all the processed foods found today.

Edit:
    Just feeling 'full' from a meal is not enough. You can eat a plate of just chicken or duck and you will still be hungry an hour later because you haven't consumed adequete nutrients in the form of fats/carbs (beans) and vitamins/minerals (veg)
    So don't eat something just until you feel full. Make sure it contains everything you need and THEN eat until you're full.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Don't snack at all. 3 meals is more than enough to satiate a person for the whole of a day.

1) They have a psychological disorder and snacking becomes a form of OCD procrastination/something to fill the time.
    2) They're hungry
    3) They have cravings

The first is simply a mental issue you need to solve.
    The second and third are solved by ensuring you're eating nutrient dense food. For example, a snickers bar and several hundred celery have the same calorific values, but the celery will fill you up and not leave you hungry far faster. Why? Because it is far more nutrient dense.

Just remember to eat meat, carbs (beans preferrably, but if not go for BROWN carbs like brown rice, brown bread) and mixed veg (not things like sweet pepper or sweet corn. I'm talking about broccoli, asparagus, spinach)

Snacking isn't necessary, it's just a gap created by modern nutrient lacking diets due to all the processed foods found today.

Edit:
    Just feeling 'full' from a meal is not enough. You can eat a plate of just chicken or duck and you will still be hungry an hour later because you haven't consumed adequete nutrients in the form of fats/carbs (beans) and vitamins/minerals (veg)
    So don't eat something just until you feel full. Make sure it contains everything you need and THEN eat until you're full.
    Thank you, this has made it so much clearer for me! Really appreciate the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Thank you, this has made it so much clearer for me! Really appreciate the help
    As an example I just had my lunch:
    Chicken (thai style - chili, cilantro, ginger and scallions)
    Pinto beans - microwaved
    Boiled broccoli
    Water

Simple, but it was delicious, especially the weird thai mix. It also left me completely full without feeling bloated at all, because I had eaten very nutrient dense food, and didn't need to eat a lot of it to feel satiated.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, well done your doing well keep it up.

You need some more proteins and Carbs, and instead of joining a gym do some bodyweight exercise and keep to them, it will tone you up nicely. Invest in some dumbells, and stick to it. I don't really know a lot about weight lose, but surely there should be some books you can pick up.

Just keep at it man, it will pay off soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)

2) They're hungry
    3) They have cravings

2.5) People eat foods high in simple carbs (Sugar) and with a high GI rating, sending their blood sugar high for a few hours before it comes right down and they feel the need to eat again.

Complex carbs = win. Fuller for longer, also fiber.

You might also find eating slower helps you realise more easily when you are full.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.