The Student Room Group

Why is my stomach so out of proportion with the rest of me? (Picture attached)

I'm a 22 year old female with a larger cup size, smaller legs and all my weight around my middle. I was in the past larger due to a very bad diet but I have since about 2 months ago changed things. I now eat well and train 4-5 times a week for around an hour. I do weights probably 60% of the time (most of what I have learned I got from my friend who is a personal trainer) and the other 40% cardio. I should mention I was previously size 8, when I was in 1st and 2nd year of uni but things changed when I started working full time and not getting off my backside.

My problem is this, whilst my weight has gone up and down over the years, (right now I am only 10 pounds away from my ideal weight), I still have never been able to get rid of what I can only describe as a beer belly. I don't know what else I can do. Even when I was my smallest weight and my friends even described me as maybe a bit too thin I still had a bulge on my tummy and hips. What is wrong? I am bloated? Too many carbs??

I'll give you a quick idea of what I eat in a day now (and what I ate when I was my slimmest)

Breakfast - couple of eggs around 8am after the gym
Lunch - Usually soup or a whole meal ham sandwich
Snacks - Apple & packet of snack a jacks
Dinner - Brown pasta/Brown rice with vegetables and ether chicken breast or extra lean beef

I don't generally drink fizzy drinks and will have a booze night one night a week probably on a friday. I think thats it, feel free to critique away.

All advise is appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is your ideal weight? Do you know what your BMI is? I don't actually think you're out of proportion as much as you think you are.

Do you do any core exercises that focus on your abdominal muscles?

Also, eggs every day isn't the best. Add some variety in there, you could start with a bowl of oats for example. Eggs are a good source of a lot of things, esp protein but eating them too offen is bad. I know it's an exmple, just saying.
It's just fat, and the only way to get rid of fat (naturally) is to burn the fat. Unfortunately due to genetics perhaps your stomach is the last place to lose fat. The only way you are going to get rid of it without surgery is to continue burning fat until it's gone. Weights will help you from becoming skinny fat where you are skinny but at the same time the mass you have is made up of fat, but weights will only work if you are lifting properly and if you have a sufficient diet to lift, exercise and recover and at the same time just enough calories to allow your body to burn fat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm no dietician but you have to eat carbs but if you do, only eat brown rice/pasta/bread and have a reasonably high protein diet.

Try working the stomach muscles more than everything else. I personally managed to loose a lot of fat in my chest but I still have a lot of fat around the stomach area because I never work the core muscles :tongue:

I would just like to add at this point, the number on the scales means nothing. It's simply how much force is being applied to keep you on the ground, muscle weighs more than fat anyhow. Really rather than working to fit your ideal weight you should look at your body fat percentage. There's a couple videos on youtube on how to calculate it. The healthiest is between 15-25% body fat. For men it's around 10-20% :tongue:

There's also this book I read a couple years back when I was like, 12 (very young age to look into all this I know) called 'The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Wolcott and Trish Fahey' I would suggest getting this book and having a read as well. It talks about the concept of 'one mans food is another mans poison.' It also has a questionnaire in it which helps you determine your metabolic type and will give you a basic meal plan/guideline. I'd strongly suggest reading it.

Oh yeah and follow the 80/20 rule. Do what you have to do 80% of the time, and do what you want to do 20% of the time.

Anyway I hope that some of what I've said helped or will help you!

And hey it's only advice! Do whatever you want to do :tongue:
Original post by MissaCwosby
I'm no dietician but you have to eat carbs but if you do, only eat brown rice/pasta/bread and have a reasonably high protein diet.

Try working the stomach muscles more than everything else. I personally managed to loose a lot of fat in my chest but I still have a lot of fat around the stomach area because I never work the core muscles :tongue:

I would just like to add at this point, the number on the scales means nothing. It's simply how much force is being applied to keep you on the ground, muscle weighs more than fat anyhow. Really rather than working to fit your ideal weight you should look at your body fat percentage. There's a couple videos on youtube on how to calculate it. The healthiest is between 15-25% body fat. For men it's around 10-20% :tongue:

There's also this book I read a couple years back when I was like, 12 (very young age to look into all this I know) called 'The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Wolcott and Trish Fahey' I would suggest getting this book and having a read as well. It talks about the concept of 'one mans food is another mans poison.' It also has a questionnaire in it which helps you determine your metabolic type and will give you a basic meal plan/guideline. I'd strongly suggest reading it.

Oh yeah and follow the 80/20 rule. Do what you have to do 80% of the time, and do what you want to do 20% of the time.

Anyway I hope that some of what I've said helped or will help you!

And hey it's only advice! Do whatever you want to do :tongue:

You can't spot reduce fat. She can do as many crunches sit ups and core work as she wants it will not make a difference to where the fat is burned first.
Reply 5
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
You can't spot reduce fat. She can do as many crunches sit ups and core work as she wants it will not make a difference to where the fat is burned first.

You're right you can't. The first place it goes from is your face. But building muscle helps reduce the bodyfat percentage as it boosts metabolism. I also heard somewhere that for every pound of muscle you gain you can burn a pound of fat.

Sorry for posting based on personal experience.
Reply 6
TSR = the only place women will willingly post photos of themselves non-anon in underwear without thinking somebody might get off over them.
It's just dependant on genetics where you store your fat.
Some people just get unlucky with it.
Lose another 10lbs and you should look a lot better.
Reply 8
Very nice :wink: any chance of a number
Reply 9
It's excess fat. From your description you sound like you're an apple shape so you'll probably lose weight from your stomach area last. Lose another 20 lbs and the appearance of it should improve.

*10 lbs, worrying typo.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't say that your belly is 'so out of proportion'. It's really not.
That last little belly pooch is something that a lot of girls struggle with. I'd probably start trying to build muscle as well as doing cardio.

I've also seen this article before. I have no idea how true this is, as there doesn't seem to be any scientific evidence behind it xD http://k8torade.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/does-this-uterus-make-me-look-fat.html?m=1
Can't find anything online either.
Reply 11
Original post by hayles101
I'm a 22 year old female with a larger cup size, smaller legs and all my weight around my middle. I was in the past larger due to a very bad diet but I have since about 2 months ago changed things. I now eat well and train 4-5 times a week for around an hour. I do weights probably 60% of the time (most of what I have learned I got from my friend who is a personal trainer) and the other 40% cardio. I should mention I was previously size 8, when I was in 1st and 2nd year of uni but things changed when I started working full time and not getting off my backside.

My problem is this, whilst my weight has gone up and down over the years, (right now I am only 10 pounds away from my ideal weight), I still have never been able to get rid of what I can only describe as a beer belly. I don't know what else I can do. Even when I was my smallest weight and my friends even described me as maybe a bit too thin I still had a bulge on my tummy and hips. What is wrong? I am bloated? Too many carbs??

I'll give you a quick idea of what I eat in a day now (and what I ate when I was my slimmest)

Dinner - Brown pasta/Brown rice with vegetables and ether chicken breast or extra lean beef

I don't generally drink fizzy drinks and will have a booze night one night a week probably on a friday. I think thats it, feel free to critique away.

Attachment not found

You are unlucky and most of your fat is stored in your stomach. Meaning it will also be the last place where you lose it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Do squats ...

this is a serious reply.
Reply 13
It's not that out of prorportion but...

Original post by cid
Do squats ...

this is a serious reply.

will make make your lower body better proportioned to your stomach.

You might be bloated as well, check your salt and fibre intake.
Original post by katehlouise
I wouldn't say that your belly is 'so out of proportion'. It's really not.
That last little belly pooch is something that a lot of girls struggle with. I'd probably start trying to build muscle as well as doing cardio.

I've also seen this article before. I have no idea how true this is, as there doesn't seem to be any scientific evidence behind it xD http://k8torade.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/does-this-uterus-make-me-look-fat.html?m=1
Can't find anything online either.

Thanks for this! I have been training hard even since I originally made this thread (with the exception of the past 4 days as I've sadly had tonsillitis) and have seen an improvement.

I think everyone is right, it may take 3 months, 6 months, a year..but I think I have to keep smashing it at the gym and eating well and hopefully I will finally get those flats abs I dream of! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by hayles101

Attachment not found

Hi I just wanted to say that I have a similar body shape to you. My stomach/hip area is the last place to loose weight so I completely understand your frustration. I am yet to find an exercise that helps this area, so I will be watching this thread.

Sometimes I think we have to just face the fact all humans are different shapes and sizes, probably due to genetics. There is no "ideal" - this has been created only by the media.
Original post by smm123
Hi I just wanted to say that I have a similar body shape to you. My stomach/hip area is the last place to loose weight so I completely understand your frustration. I am yet to find an exercise that helps this area, so I will be watching this thread.

Sometimes I think we have to just face the fact all humans are different shapes and sizes, probably due to genetics. There is no "ideal" - this has been created only by the media.

I still believe I can get flat abs and a nice toned stomach, what I have accepted though is it will take a lot longer than someone else of a different body type who doesn't naturally hold as much fat on their tummy.

I am going to update this thread in 4 weeks from now and 12 weeks from now so hopefully you will see a difference!
Just cut out carbs and sugar, have a high protein diet, and do lots of cardio whilst eating a lot of healthy food. That will burn your fat right off.

Original post by smm123

So many things wrong with that reply. Firstly, everyone can look athletic and get a 6 pack if they eat and exercise correctly. Secondly, there is a "ideal" body, nature decided this, not the media so stop looking for excuses to not try. Fat burning takes huge commitment so I think this will be the area you fall down on rather than blaming your genetics.
Reply 18
OP your legs have no development...you have no glutes, it looks like a baby wearing a nappy and is learning to take its first steps and hasn't developed any muscle.

Start eating healthier and do squats, deadlifts, lunges and sprints for god sake. just plodding around at 2mph and barely ever bending your knees has got you in this mess.
Are you wearing a nappy?

Quick Reply

Latest