The Student Room Group

Who's better men or women at driving?

I was at my cousins house the other day and we had a whole debate about women being very bad drivers. What do y'all think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I think that it doesn't matter what gender you are when it comes to driving , no gender is better than the other when it comes to driving its just matter of experience and training
Also men are just as bad as women when driving
Reply 3
Well we all know there's good drivers and bad drivers of either gender; however, I think one thing is for sure, men can be very aggressive drivers. In my experience, nine times out of ten, the person up your backside (when you're already doing 10 over the limit) is a man. Or that crazy person on the highway in the souped up Civic weaving in and out of traffic without signalling (at rush hour). Also probably a guy. This is why men pay higher insurance rates.
You would first need to define what is being judged.
Reply 5
You forgot to add Aliens ..... not many UFOs have crash landed

In all seriousness, the statistics seem to say Women are the better drivers, to be fair they probably are apart from the ones doing their make up, nails or on the phone whilst driving, they are the women who will kill themselves or somebody else eventually.
Well i think that the statistics say that women are less likely to have car accidents and thus can be said to be the "safer" drivers. This could be because male drivers tend to be more aggressive when driving. Also from my experience a lot of males tend to be car enthusiasts (more so than females) and so have a better interest in cars and racing which might suggest that they have more skill/confidence in car control. For example, take a look at motorsport such as formula one where the world's best racing drivers are all male...

However, it is difficult to say who is the "better" driver as what do you exactly mean by better? Safety or outright speed and car handling/driver skill?
In my opinion, women tend to be the more safer better drivers, whereas men tend to be the more aggressive racey drivers (who sometimes don't know their own limit of skill).

The bottom line is that both genders have good and bad drivers, so conclusively just because someone is male/female does not make them a "better" driver than the opposite gender.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Women are generally safer

Men are generally better at handling the vehicle
Reply 8
I think this thread isn't going to end well...
Men are more relaxed with the wheel and usually have one hand on the wheel. Statistics show that females drive with two hands on the wheel and are more cautious

But men are overall better, YouTube women can't drive videos!

💷Certified 💷
Reply 10
I think men are generally better at driving (this is only an average) but at my age (late teens-early 20's) if I were to be driven by someone my age I would much rather it be a woman than a man as they seems less likely to sow off and do something retarded.
in italy we say:

"Woman driving, peril thriving"
Reply 12
Until recently women were given cheaper car insurance than men under the same circumstances because they are statistically less likely to crash.

Plus I've never seen any 'girl-racers' driving at 60mph in a 30mph zone blasting radgey tunes.
Original post by Tahooper
Plus I've never seen any 'girl-racers' driving at 60mph in a 30mph zone blasting radgey tunes.

I have to agree unfortunately. On the other hand, the 'best' drivers in the world, referring to racing drivers, are surely men.

Neither is better than the other, but there seem to be more tits on our side. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
It's difficult to say but maybe men are more skilled drivers while women are more cautious and maybe safer?
There is some evidence that men have higher spatial intelligence on average so if this was true then men could be better drivers on average?
Difficult question.
Blokes definitely lol, never have I heard a woman complain about her partner scratching the crap out of the wing mirrors, accidentally bumping into a column, or take too damn long whilst parking. With the exception of my mates dad lol. In fact, i dont know any man who crashed or damaged a car because of complete lack of skill or knowledge, its been a couple deers or showing off! They just seem to pay less attention, get lost in thoughts or god knows what, this is all in my experience anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by ROG.
Women are generally safer

Men are generally better at handling the vehicle

This basically. I have driven with many women and while they are the most safest drivers on the planet you can tell that they are not masters of the vehicle. However when driving with men You can tell that they feel the soul of that car and are virtually telepathically attuned to every cog and axle. Unfortunately because of this they tend to drive really aggressively and unsafely. So my answer is that it depends on the situation. If it was off-road or some high speed Autobahn driving then men are the better drivers. But in the city trundling along on a 30 mph road women win.
Reply 17
A poll would have been interesting
Reply 18
Men are better at road driving, rally, formula 1 etc etc...unless they are South/ S. East Asian then they suck!

Neg all you like, the truth hurts!
(edited 11 years ago)
I've generally found that women are safer drivers...but every time I've seen a car damaged it's involved a woman trying (and failing) to park their car. Make of that what you will.

Quick Reply

Latest