Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's better men or women at driving? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What a load of crap! How did you manage to come to that conclusion??

So I take it you've been to S.E Asia and experienced it all first-hand that all men are bad drivers and "suck" at driving. There's no substance to what you just said. It all sounds as if your just trying to have a go at SE Asian men in general.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on their attitude towards driving. When my aunt's driving, she (literally) takes a 'hands off' approach and it's pretty scary haha. Having said that, my mum's a great driver and my dad often says that when he gets in the car with other people, he realises just how good she is (although she used to be an ambulance woman and drive ambulances so she may have an advantage haha)

When I'm in the passenger seat of my friends who've just passed their test, no contest. The girls are so much more careful with their driving, the guys tend to like taking it fast and driving with one hand on the wheel.

Meh, it depends
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Statistically women at a younger age are better drivers which is why we get cheeper car insurance, when I say better drivers I just mean less likely to have an accident and hence need to claim on the insurance. I think by the time we're older its probably pretty much even between men and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture~Perfect)
    Statistically women at a younger age are better drivers which is why we get cheeper car insurance, when I say better drivers I just mean less likely to have an accident and hence need to claim on the insurance. I think by the time we're older its probably pretty much even between men and women.
    i don't think your definition of good driver is acceptable nor common.

ReputationRep:
    Back in Soviet Russia we used to say "If a woman drives a car, you kill that woman."

ReputationRep:
    Statistically women at a younger age are better drivers which is why we get cheeper car insurance
    Didn't that just change so that you pay the same as us anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden_Boy786)
    What a load of crap! How did you manage to come to that conclusion??

So I take it you've been to S.E Asia and experienced it all first-hand that all men are bad drivers and "suck" at driving. There's no substance to what you just said. It all sounds as if your just trying to have a go at SE Asian men in general.
    It's a fact they (mainly Pakistani) are amongst the worlds worst if not the worst drivers. You should see them around Greater London driving like they are still at home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    Well we all know there's good drivers and bad drivers of either gender; however, I think one thing is for sure, men can be very aggressive drivers. In my experience, nine times out of ten, the person up your backside (when you're already doing 10 over the limit) is a man. Or that crazy person on the highway in the souped up Civic weaving in and out of traffic without signalling (at rush hour). Also probably a guy. This is why men pay higher insurance rates.
    Men no longer pay higher insurance quotes, thankfully.

I know a couple of good women drivers, I know of more good men drivers though. I just don't believe women have the mentality to be better than men at driving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moritzplatz)
    i don't think your definition of good driver is acceptable nor common.
    It's not my definition, I was simply stating that car insurance companies gave cheaper insurance to women due to statistical figures.

(Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Didn't that just change so that you pay the same as us anyway?
    Yes, it has been changed, it's not completely in affect yet, well by that I mean I haven't noticed any change but I suspect my insurance will go up when it's due.

ReputationRep:
    The reason this debate never ends is because the OP never defines what they mean by better. Does it mean safer or better car control? Cause we already know which genders fits into the latter and former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Men are better at road driving, rally, formula 1 etc etc...unless they are South/ S. East Asian then they suck!

Neg all you like, the truth hurts!
    Actually it's clearly not the truth and it's stereotypical. You have asian drivers in the top lines of most motosport including some in f1 as recently as the last two years with Chandhok and Karthikeyan.

Maybe they're not as good as Vettel/Alonso but being the 20th best driver in the world is still very impressive...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how people can argue with the statistics: men crash more than women. That is the bottom line - on average, women are safer drivers, since they cause fewer accidents. Surely that's fairly obvious :dontknow:

Obviously, there are good and bad drivers across both genders (I know some absolutely terrible female drivers and some really great male drivers), but statistically, on average, men drive less safely, therefore are the worse drivers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ± Dan ±)
    You forgot to add Aliens ..... not many UFOs have crash landed

In all seriousness, the statistics seem to say Women are the better drivers, to be fair they probably are apart from the ones doing their make up, nails or on the phone whilst driving, they are the women who will kill themselves or somebody else eventually.
    No, they say they're safer drivers.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my definition, I was simply stating that car insurance companies gave cheaper insurance to women due to statistical figures.
    yes but this doesn't make women better drivers.

the fact is that being safe and being good are different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flubadiblam)
    never have I heard a woman complain about her partner scratching the crap out of the wing mirrors, accidentally bumping into a column, or take too damn long whilst parking.
    You should meet my parents :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    I don't know how people can argue with the statistics: men crash more than women. That is the bottom line - on average, women are safer drivers, since they cause fewer accidents. Surely that's fairly obvious :dontknow:

Obviously, there are good and bad drivers across both genders (I know some absolutely terrible female drivers and some really great male drivers), but statistically, on average, men drive less safely, therefore are the worse drivers...
    Yes, if better solely meant how safe you are then you'd be right. But unfortunately for your argument "better" can also be defined by how much driver skill you possess. So deciding which gender is "better" isn't as simple as you're trying to make out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
    You should meet my parents :P
    Haha bit forward, how about a drink first, see where it goes from there

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can generalise with such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flubadiblam)
    Haha bit forward, how about a drink first, see where it goes from there
    Hahahaha, I totally didn't think about how that sounded XD Nicely done :P

ReputationRep:
    Motorsport - all men

Men win.
    We are PROVEN better drivers...simple as that.

We can re-assess this in the next 20-50 years when nobody can say women havn't had the opportunity's yadayada...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.