The Student Room Group

Who's better men or women at driving?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Motorbiker
Actually it's clearly not the truth and it's stereotypical. You have asian drivers in the top lines of most motosport including some in f1 as recently as the last two years with Chandhok and Karthikeyan.

Maybe they're not as good as Vettel/Alonso but being the 20th best driver in the world is still very impressive...

OK, take away the very few Asian drivers in racing and you are left with the majority on the public roads who are the worst.
98% of middle lane motorway drivers are either 60+ or women. True story. I regularly point it out to people who don't believe this and soon they can't disprove it. Middle lane driving is ridiculous when you aren't overtaking. The epitome of awful and dangerous driving. From my experience with friends my male friends are better and more careful drivers. On the whole it's likely to be pretty even though i would imagine.
Actually women being better or even safer drivers is incorrect. While it's true that women get involved in less crashes than men (hence they used to have cheaper insurance) women actually get involved in more crashes per mile than men, but since men on average drive more than women the absolute number of crashes is higher.
Reply 43
Original post by Lawstudent321
I was at my cousins house the other day and we had a whole debate about women being very bad drivers. What do y'all think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think either are significantly better or worse to be honest. We both have hands, feet, eyes, brains that work sufficiently well.

However if you were going to generalise I would probably suggest that perhaps if males are better at manoeuvring and 'assertive driving', women are 'safer' drivers. But I think it's probably a pretty weak rule as it varies so much.
Reply 44
Original post by S.R
This basically. I have driven with many women and while they are the most safest drivers on the planet you can tell that they are not masters of the vehicle. However when driving with men You can tell that they feel the soul of that car and are virtually telepathically attuned to every cog and axle. Unfortunately because of this they tend to drive really aggressively and unsafely. So my answer is that it depends on the situation. If it was off-road or some high speed Autobahn driving then men are the better drivers. But in the city trundling along on a 30 mph road women win.

Even then, I'm not sure I entirely agree.

Admittedly, men are more aggressive than women on average; but if you think about the number of minor accidents as a result of carelessness (e.g. while 'trundling along on a 30mph road), the culprit is a woman nine times out of ten. Also, if you remove chavs from the equation, men are confident but at the same time know what they're doing, and so usually remain safe.

I think what it comes down to is that while men are generally (sometimes overly) confident, women are often careless.
I'd be interested to see a straw poll from four groups of people: men who drive, women who drive, men who don't drive and women who don't drive.

Just a hypothesis here, but I could see the men who drive group being bigger than the women who drive group and the women who don't drive being bigger than the men who don't drive group (at least as a proportion of the female total). Furthermore, I could conceive that more women who don't drive would vote for male drivers than non-driving males would vote for women. I think that's more of a commentary on the lack of male willingness to be seen to play second fiddle to women and the persistence of gender roles when it comes to driving.
Reply 46
Original post by mc1000
Even then, I'm not sure I entirely agree.

Admittedly, men are more aggressive than women on average; but if you think about the number of minor accidents as a result of carelessness (e.g. while 'trundling along on a 30mph road), the culprit is a woman nine times out of ten. Also, if you remove chavs from the equation, men are confident but at the same time know what they're doing, and so usually remain safe.

I think what it comes down to is that while men are generally (sometimes overly) confident, women are often careless.

You're right you know. I cycle and from an analysis of all run ins, everyone who deliberately runs me off the road - male, everybody who accidentally runs me off the road - female.
Reply 47
Original post by Ice Constricter
Yes, if better solely meant how safe you are then you'd be right. But unfortunately for your argument "better" can also be defined by how much driver skill you possess. So deciding which gender is "better" isn't as simple as you're trying to make out.

But the main skill in driving IS to be safe. Everything you learn is about safety! Checking mirrors, not going over the speed limit, checking constantly for potential hazards which could compromise your own or other peoples' safety. So surely, if you're trying to determine how good a driver someone is, the very first thing you would look at is: are they a SAFE driver?

:dontknow:
Original post by emilie18
But the main skill in driving IS to be safe. Everything you learn is about safety! Checking mirrors, not going over the speed limit, checking constantly for potential hazards which could compromise your own or other peoples' safety. So surely, if you're trying to determine how good a driver someone is, the very first thing you would look at is: are they a SAFE driver?

:dontknow:

Yes, women are mostly safer, but you are only looking at one aspect of driving. If we're going to use the word "better", driving competency has to be looked at in equal measure. Would you say an experienced female driver of over 20 years is "better" than the average formula one driver? If so or not, how are you defining better? It becomes really complicated because in reality you can't compare them like for like. They are both good drivers in their own ways.
Reply 49
Yes, women are mostly safer, but you are only looking at one aspect of driving. If we're going to use the word "better", driving competency has to be looked at in equal measure. Would you say an experienced female driver of over 20 years is "better" than the average formula one driver? If so or not, how are you defining better? It becomes really complicated because in reality you can't compare them like for like. They are both good drivers in their own ways.

I'm talking about day-to-day driving, you can't really compare that to F1 driving since only a handful of people actually do that :rolleyes: Anyway, it's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it :redface:
I'm talking about day-to-day driving, you can't really compare that to F1 driving since only a handful of people actually do that :rolleyes: Anyway, it's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it :redface:

I know only a handful of drivers are in formula one, I was just using it as an example to show the different interpretations of the word "better". So the amount of people actually in F1 doesn't negate my point. Would you like it if I said "race drivers" instead?

And even if we're solely talking about day to day driving my point will still stand. Are you telling me driving competency plays no part in that? But anyway, lets go over a few facts:

- Men drive more miles than women on average
- Men drive more types of vehicle
- Men get into more serious accidents
- Women get into far more scrapes and bumps but less serious accidents
- Women are on average less confident behind the wheel

Interpret that as you will, but it now becomes safety vs competency. The gender that is on average better at both (safety & competency) is the ones that should be labelled the "better" drivers. Because quite clearly women are safer and men are more competent if we're going to generalise here.

And yes, its your opinion, but if you don't want it challenged don't post it on a forum.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
This study i found said that women are better drivers:
http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-shows-women-are-better-drivers-than-men

All that study showed is that women are safer drivers which we've known for what, a decade now? :rolleyes:
Reply 53
Sexist much
Good drivers are better at driving.
Reply 55
I agree that women are safer drivers in some ways. They adhere to the laws a lot more than men, but they're also not nearly as confident behind a wheel.

Hasn't it been proven that men can judge hazards and distances a lot better than women? Sure I read that somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I know only a handful of drivers are in formula one, I was just using it as an example to show the different interpretations of the word "better". So the amount of people actually in F1 doesn't negate my point. Would you like it if I said "race drivers" instead?

And even if we're solely talking about day to day driving my point will still stand. Are you telling me driving competency plays no part in that? But anyway, lets go over a few facts:

- Men drive more miles than women on average
- Men drive more types of vehicle
- Men get into more serious accidents
- Women get into far more scrapes and bumps but less serious accidents

- Women are on average less confident behind the wheel

Interpret that as you will, but it now becomes safety vs competency. The gender that is on average better at both (safety & competency) is the ones that should be labelled the "better" drivers. Because quite clearly women are safer and men are more competent if we're going to generalise here.

And yes, its your opinion, but if you don't want it challenged don't post it on a forum.

There are a million different ways to look at the issue and define all the different parts of the argument, but it always boils down to the same thing, the same stats, that women cause fewer crashes, are therefore safer, and some people including me sees this as meaning that they are better drivers - which explains why until recently we had much lower insurance costs.

/
There are a million different ways to look at the issue and define all the different parts of the argument, but it always boils down to the same thing, the same stats, that women cause fewer crashes, are therefore safer, and some people including me sees this as meaning that they are better drivers - which explains why until recently we had much lower insurance costs.

/

Thanks for the neg

Only thing stats show are that women are safer not necessarily better drivers.

/Thread
Reply 58

/

I don't think it's true that women cause fewer crashes. I've seen plenty of car accidents in my time, and the vast, vast majority of the culprits have been women.

How many people on average die on the roads every day? Somewhere in the region of 5, most of these accidents caused by men. How many accidents are there every day in total? Many, many more than 5, most of these caused by women.

The statistics used for insurance have been misinterpreted. Men cause far more serious accidents than women, and so this is what made insurance so much more expensive for men. Factor chavs out of the equation, and the number of serious accidents is far lower, and so even *fewer* men than the statistics suggest, it is fair to say, cause accidents.

However, women cause the vast majority of small accidents from what I have seen, and although this costs insurance companies far less and is nowhere near as big of a deal as a fatal accident (which by itself would cost many times more than many minor accidents put together), it still strongly implies that women are generally more careless drivers than men.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by jco19
Well we all know there's good drivers and bad drivers of either gender; however, I think one thing is for sure, men can be very aggressive drivers. In my experience, nine times out of ten, the person up your backside (when you're already doing 10 over the limit) is a man. Or that crazy person on the highway in the souped up Civic weaving in and out of traffic without signalling (at rush hour). Also probably a guy. This is why men pay higher insurance rates.

Haven't you followed the news? Insurance is the same regardless of gender now.

And like others have said, men are generally better at handling the vehicles and more confident whilst women are usually more safer. However, I've seen dangerous women driving at 100 in 60 zone as much as I've seen men driving like old lady's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending