Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your mates don't think the guy/girl you like is attractive, are you put off? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think guys are more influenced by their friend's opinions on someone's attractiveness than girls are.
    What do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I care what I think in the end, not my friends.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I'd hate to be in this situation. And they're not really your friends if they're going to keep bring up the fact that they don't think the person you like is attractive. I'd do my utmost best to ignore them, because I'd be happy and that's what matters.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think any of my friends boyfriends are attractive but i dont judge them one bit. Also if i liked the guy i wouldnt care what they think

ReputationRep:
    I had that with a girl I liked in sixth form, didn't change my opinion tbh

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    They have their preferences, I have mine.

ReputationRep:
    No. It's not them who's going out with the girl so it doesn't matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I be influenced by their opinion I don't want to sound cliche but attractiveness is just one aspect (usually in the beginning) of a relationship, personality is also a factor. I'm not sure that I would also want to hang out with shallow friends who judge the person I'm dating based on their looks.

ReputationRep:
    Im not put off, I mean it wouldnt stop me from seeing the guy but it would bother me a bit. I would just tell them to keep their opinions to themselves.

It has happened before, I have a friend who is really bad for this, she will never exactly call someone ugly but she will make sly comments about the guy im seeing saying how there are fitter people out there or telling me that she has looked through his pictues and he didnt look good in a lot of them or something and its so annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There are girls that they like who I dont find attractive. We have different preferences.

ReputationRep:
    conversely, I would feel weird if they find my guy/girl attractive..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't stop me seeing them, but let's be honest - it would be a bit off-putting, I think I'd start to have second thoughts and judge them again. At the end of the day, if I still really liked them I'd tell my friends to keep their opinions to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no. None of my friends understood why I fancied the last guy I liked. My favourite response was "Are you trying to tick some kind of sexual box?" Um, no. :lol: Doesn't put me off

ReputationRep:
    I'm put off my mates for their obvious bad taste in women. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fetish)
    I think guys are more influenced by their friend's opinions on someone's attractiveness than girls are.
    What do you reckon?
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    To be completely honest, I actually quite like it in a way. In the past mates have said 'you can do better' and it made me think twice I'm in honest, but I've always come to the conclusion that even if she's not objectively stunning, that I personally did find her attractive, which kinda makes it more special, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Girls are the worst culprits for this. Girls always go for the guys that are 'wanted' and deemed 'acceptable' to date - attractive or not. Why do you think girls most of the time go for the guys that are already in relationships and are put off by guys who are never in relationships?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I think I am a pretty good judge of what I find attractive and what not.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Actually quite a few of the guys I've liked/dated have been considered unattractive by my friends and it never bothered me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.