Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to leave for uni and live there for the full year. I don't want to return home, I'm 22 and want to be independent. Can I get a student loan for a 50 week contract, even on an undergraduate course? Or will they only pay for the normal contract?
    Anyone who knows about this sort of stuff, please help me.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't completely clear what you're asking here but....

If you're asking about repayments...
    You apply for a student loan, and it lasts one year. You then have to re-apply for the next year, and the year after. So if you only want a student loan for your first year, you can get one just for your first year.

You can repay your student loan at any time, you don't have to wait till you meet the income threshold etc, just log on to studentloanrepayment.co.uk

If you're asking about living costs for rent etc...
    As I said when you get a student loan it lasts for one year only. The Maintenance Loan and, if eligible, Maintenance Grant are paid directly to YOU. So you do what you want with them. You can live in halls for the standard 40 week contract, or 50 week (some places do 52 weeks) or you can even private rent as I am - it makes no difference. The money is given to you, and then you pay for your accommodation yourself.

As you're only 22, if you haven't supported yourself fully in the last 3 years then the amount of loans you're entitled to will be based on your parents income.

I hope this has helped in anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.