Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, do you think a relationship would last longer if you was straight with guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed over the years that relationships seem to last a lot longer when the girls is straight with a guy.
    By this I mean when a girl says 'fine' and she means 'p'd off', or when she says 'nothing' and means 'something you need to worried about'.

To me it seems unnecessary and I have found a lot of relationships have ended due to this. And not because i don't realise what she mean but because i don't like test

ReputationRep:
    excuse the poor grammer n spelling i've got a broken hand.

ReputationRep:
    In one sentence: Relationships last longer when communication is better.

Ultimately it depends on personality compatibility, life goals, age, relationship maturity etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    In one sentence: Relationships last longer when communication is better.

Ultimately it depends on personality compatibility, life goals, age, relationship maturity etc.
    I've no doubt that is true but from what i can say about my friends who have had the longest relationships there girlfriends always say 'you're pissing me off' when they guy annoys them etc.

Of course they have a lot in common etc.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it would help if the guys were straight with us too?

Communication works both ways
    • TSR Support Team

Honesty, communication and effort those are the ways that a relationship will last longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Maybe it would help if the guys were straight with us too?

Communication works both ways
    No doubt but generally guys don't do what I mentioned in the OP (remember I'm generalising here)

ReputationRep:
    I knew girls wouldn't really have an answer for this..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    No doubt but generally guys don't do what I mentioned in the OP (remember I'm generalising here)
    haha yes they do! Maybe not as much but they do! Ill agree that girls do it more though

ReputationRep:
    I always tell the girl to be straight with me. Tell me the truth or don't bother at all.
    No place for secrets and games in relationships. I shouldn't have to guess why your upset and you certainly shouldn't hide it from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    I always tell the girl to be straight with me. Tell me the truth or don't bother at all.
    No place for secrets and games in relationships. I shouldn't have to guess why your upset and you certainly shouldn't hide it from me.
    Here here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    See I'm the same. I can't be dealing with it.. result is im single! haha

ReputationRep:
    I always find that a lot of men are afraid of making their feelings known so things work out better when you're direct with them in order to get them talking. A lot of guys aren't straight with girls and this is partly because some of the time they don't even know what they want or they're biding their. That's why I see it as my responsibility as a woman to ask the right questions, or else find myself in a difficult situation. Some guys will tell you anything if you ask them the right way.

And as for your original post, that kind of stuff is just emotionally manipulative and immature. I expect guys to take what I say at face value so that's what I try to do. Or if I don't want to talk about I just say so, and then we talk about it later. None of this 'nothing' stuff.

EDIT: I don't think you can be too full-on with a guy though. You have to strike a balance.

ReputationRep:
    Because if a girl were to act like you're suggesting she should then you would be complaining about her whining and nagging.

ReputationRep:
    I think on the whole, there has to be a balance. Communication is essential, but to a point... if you're having in depth conversations about feelings every five seconds, it'll probably feel too serious and too much. However, communicating how you feel is something both people in a relationship need to do, as I think that strengthens relationships and improves all areas, really. Thinking back to relationships I've had in the past, if I'd known what the guy in question was thinking/if he'd been honest with me, it would have been so much easier for me! Honesty is the best policy, I think, but playing it by ear is important, as I'm sure it varies in each circumstance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucia.)
    I always find that a lot of men are afraid of making their feelings known so things work out better when you're direct with them in order to get them talking. A lot of guys aren't straight with girls and this is partly because some of the time they don't even know what they want or they're biding their. That's why I see it as my responsibility as a woman to ask the right questions, or else find myself in a difficult situation. Some guys will tell you anything if you ask them the right way.

And as for your original post, that kind of stuff is just emotionally manipulative and immature. I expect guys to take what I say at face value so that's what I try to do. Or if I don't want to talk about I just say so, and then we talk about it later. None of this 'nothing' stuff.

EDIT: I don't think you can be too full-on with a guy though. You have to strike a balance.
    If you're every at the complete opposite end of the UK, fancy a drink?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.