Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young lad blacks up to look like football idol. Typical overreaction as usual. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sick and tired of the faux outrage over the race issue in this country.
    This young white lad blacked up like his idol el hadji Diouf and even had a photo with him.
    Everyone found it funny including diouf but that didnt stop the PC moral police putting a downer on the fun.

People need to grow up. This is NOT racism. It's just creating divisions when none exist.

Lots of photos in the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256190/El-Hadji-Diouf-Father-apologises-son-engulfed-Twitter-race-storm-blacking-face-resemble-player.html

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that people apologize, apologizing means something you did was wrong and you accept that, the kid did nothing wrong and him making his face darker is exactly like him dying his hair white, it was nothing to do with racism it was an attempt to look like a man he idolizes. If people had more conviction the PC Nazis wouldn't get very far, the average person is not a politician and you don't have to pander to morons. If someone is offended by something you never intended to be offensive that is their problem not yours.

ReputationRep:
    More people should go against the outrage. It's sitting back that encourages the continuation.

Also, reference to The Book Thief, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    So what about those black people lightening their skin? Oh wait, I forgot, only white people can be racist.

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is this player has spat at fans on numerous occasions yet he's idolised

Even his current manager called him a sewer rat in a post match interview before he signed him

ReputationRep:
    The only crime I can see is someone idolising El Hadji Diouf.

All the dad should be apologising for is letting his son dress up as that prick. Good to see the wee guy having a great time in those pictures though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I like how the kid posed with Police officers as well. That's pretty ballsy.

ReputationRep:
      Imagine he was dressed up as Barton, he'd get accused for indecent exposure

ReputationRep:
      Now, i'm saying this as a black person. The tables have turned on caucasians- people are now so sensitive to racism (the racism where the white person must be the oppressor) it's becoming cringeworthy. It's almost a taboo to suggest that white people are often prejudiced against too, so much to the point that it is almost unheard of. I just can't help but think that white people now feel alienated. I cannot reason out how this can be seen as controversial.

ReputationRep:
      Great crack from the lad, just a shame his idolization is so misguided. You might as well epitomize Ballotelli as Diouf! I just wish he'd dressed up as someone a bit more respectable. Can't quite believe that people are calling a 10 year old racist though, it's appalling.

ReputationRep:
      This is ridiculous. What about people who tan? Are they trying to emulate darker-skinned people as well? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      The Daily Mail usually blows this sort of thing massively out of proportion. A DM 'race row' is usually something like 12 losers with nothing else to do than be offended on someone elses behalf on the internet.

It's ridiculous for anyone to be offended by this and it shouldn't even be a story.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thunder_chunky)
      I like how the kid posed with Police officers as well. That's pretty ballsy.
      Yeah I was confused at that. If it's illegal then why did they bother posing with him?

ReputationRep:
      This is becoming cringeworthy now, I mean, SERIOUSLY??!!??

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Algorithm69)
      Who said it was illegal?
      I'm not saying it is, nor would I agree that it is, but judging from the nature of this country I'm going to assume it is by government standards.

ReputationRep:
      This is exactly why the Zwarte Piet will never be accepted in British society.

It is kind of sad that people would be offended by the boy doing this.

ReputationRep:
      The only issue here should be...why does a 10 year old have a twitter account?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Algorithm69)
      Apologising is the worst thing he could have done.

This reminded me of something Hitchens once said in a debate on free speech/expression. In the past the great fear was that oppressive governments would infringe on your inalienable rights. Now, however, with the proliferation of social media the great oppressor is an overly-emotional, under-educated, and constantly-outraged society making sure our freedoms are being limited year after year. A worrying trend.
      Which Hitchens, out of curiosity?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      He's ten, I don't think he will even fully understand what racism is.

Complete non story.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.