Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All

I'm currently on a gap year and have applied to Queen Mary to study History and Politics. My A-level results are (For both AS/A2)

History- A
    Communication and Culture-B
    Sociology- B

Are these decent enough grades to get an offer?

As for the course itself I would be extremely grateful if you could tell me what it's like studying the course itself. Or if you study either History or Politics as separate entities feel free to let me know what you think of the course/university as a whole. Also what are the social aspects of Queen Mary?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate

I sincerely hope I get in I wrote in my PS about my passion for History and how Communication and Culture/Sociology helped me express and understand political discourse. I also have excellent references from my college tutors.

How long does it take for them to make an offer? I sent my application in late November.

With regards to my choice of A-levels? How come Sociology and Communication and culture are considered "weak"? They were pretty tough subjects with alot of abstract thinking required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I'm a His/Pol graduate

Might be a bit of a toughie considering you did two 'weaker' A-Levels instead of another strong subject alongside History and with the uni joining the RG and trying to push up their grade boundaries they might be less willing to accept weaker subjects. Although if you impress with your PS and interview (can't remember if they still interview) then you might be able to get in.

As for the course structure itself. You spend the first year splitting it exactly in half between the two subjects but half of your modules are compulsory anyway. For 2nd and 3rd year you have much more flexibility and can go 2/2 or 3/1 split. There's a massive choice of modules although more on the History side than Politics side, we had a bit of a moan about the lack of Pol options in Y3 in my last year. Last year you can choose a History or Politics dissertation. The History one is pretty awesome, 15k, worth half of your final year grade. Other than that I can't really tell you much more unless you ask specific questions about the course, then I'd be more than willing to help.

As for social life, although I'm biased I'd say it's probably the best of the London unis for it because of the campus environment. The accommodation in 1st year is also top class, although it's getting bloody pricey these days even compared to when I lived on campus not so long ago. After I left campus, I lived with friends from Kings and UCL and their social environment is pretty poor compared to QMUL...lovely view of the Thames from King's SU mind.
    Sociology is on a par with politics in terms of it's 'perceived' difficulty.

I have taught both of them at some point btw.

I would agree that History is 'harder' to pass with a good grade but this is because of content and not concepts, which are more difficult on politics and sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help! Still no word of an offer yet. (I've had offers from Brunel and Greenwich so far). Last year when I applied for Politics at QM it took them till the 30th of April to get back to me! But I declined it in favor of Greenwich! (Worst decision ever). Finger crossed though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I think you certainly have at least a chance (although what do I know, I'm not an admissions officer). From my experience ABB wasn't rare amongst students, AAB was more common amongst people I knew but most people had AAA-ABB. If your references, PS etc are strong and you impress it could well be enough.

They can be pretty quick in regards to their replies. I applied in September and had an offer in late October but I wasn't still at sixth form, so I came at it from a different angle to you. Some people waited much longer.

They're just considered weaker subjects, have been for a while, I think it's because they're less traditionally academic. Communications is definitely the much weaker, Sociology is more respected but isn't quite a History/Economics/Maths/whatever traditional subject. I'm surprised your school didn't warn you about this but then again neither did mine. It just makes it a bit harder when you're coming up against a student with say History/Economics/Physics or something similar but if you other stuff (PS, references etc) are better than you still have a good chance.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

That's Cambridge but it's a useful example of what unis think of the various subjects. I never said A-Level Politics is particularly well regarded, indeed it's quite basic and most people I knew on the Politics side of my degree didn't even take it at A-Level, I certainly didn't.

QMUL is obviously more lenient than Cambridge but the fact remains that two of the subjects the OP has done are considered as Trinity College calls them 'A-levels of More Limited Suitability' if the candidate is up against other candidates with traditional academic subjects.

I got an Interview!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.