Very Important Poster
    (Original post by dj1015)
    £71 is far to much

£28 pw for food
    £8 pw for energy and water
    £7 pw for phone
    £5 pw travel

leaving £23.

Thats my weekly budget, I am sure the dole lovers can manage it as well.
    Some people have to pay excess rent. Then there's a phone line, internet, (how else can you search and apply for jobs) they may need money for clothes for interview, travel for interviews, etc.

That might be your budget; but it's not going to be the same for everyone else.

When I was at uni, I happily lived on £30 a week. Doesn't mean everyone else can. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Some people have to pay excess rent. Then there's a phone line, internet, (how else can you search and apply for jobs) they may need money for clothes for interview, travel for interviews, etc.

That might be your budget; but it's not going to be the same for everyone else.

When I was at uni, I happily lived on £30 a week. Doesn't mean everyone else can. :rolleyes:

why not?

if you live at the expense of the tax payer, then you should be living to the most basic standards

i.e tesco value etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    why not?

if you live at the expense of the tax payer, then you should be living to the most basic standards

i.e tesco value etc etc.
    When you are a student you live cheap knowing that with your degree you will earn more in the future and you can live better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    When you are a student you live cheap knowing that with your degree you will earn more in the future and you can live better.
    your point is?

ReputationRep:
    your point is?
    The prospect of living of Tescue value the rest of your life must be rather depressing.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it is hard for people to get a job, but claiming 'job-seekers' should mean they are genuinely seeking a job, i know many people who can easily con the system into believing they are looking for work and are not having any luck when in fact they are just too lazy. Ofcourse there are people who genuinely cant find work but there are also an increasing population just being lazy and seeing at as 'cool' (i dont but i have heard people throw it around like a label)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Just because something is legal does not make it just.
    True, but in the case of tax it entirely removes any obligation upon you. Anything further is charity, and I'd happily argue there are a lot more worthy charities out there than Her Majesty's Government.

ReputationRep:
    £71 is far to much

£28 pw for food
    £8 pw for energy and water
    £7 pw for phone
    £5 pw travel

leaving £23.

Thats my weekly budget, I am sure the dole lovers can manage it as well.
    The fact that you think energy and water cost only £8pw and weekly travel is £5 nullifies anything you've said, you clearly have no clue of the real world.
    On top of that depending on the area you may have to pay extra.

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    oh really? why should the poorest and most vulnerable in our society be punished to satisfy the dail fail reading frothing at the mouth right wingers?
    You're a bloody idiot.

No-one is being punished. Nor indeed are the "lazy" - by which I assume you are implying out-of-work benefit recipients - having their benefits cut. In fact, they're going up in line with average wage increases. Are you going to alter your rhetoric to them being 'rewarded'? Because that's equally stupid.

In fact, what you're going to end up defending is no doubt the right to be given benefits for people who can't work due to disability when you can, the right to sit in social housing with two spare bedrooms whilst thousands upon thousands wait in overcrowded accommodation and the right to not accept reasonable job offers whilst on the dole.

Well, do you know what, I'm sick of people like you being pandered to. Your views are harming the poor and the vulnerable, sucking them into poverty and keeping them there, making it more and more difficult for those out of work go get back into a job. You may think that's entirely benign, but there are few things which are more injurious to a person's health, self-esteem, social interaction and ability to raise well-brought-up children than long-term worklessness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Give yourself over man. Yes, the poor should be supported, but the benefit scrounging thieves in the North should be deported. Same goes for those that live off benefits because their overweight. Why should they be entitled?
    stop reading the mail, pointless stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomberlon)
    The fact that you think energy and water cost only £8pw nullifies anything you've said, you clearly have no clue of the real world.
    On top of that depending on the area you may have to pay extra.

Posted from TSR Mobilek
    I do live in the real world.

I live in 5 bed house. Our monthly energy bill is 98 and our yearly water bill is 141

98*12+141=1317 total energy and water bill for one year

1317/52(weeks in a year) = 25.32

25.32/5(number of people) = £5.06 per person per week

All I do, along with my house mates is watch how we conduct our selfs and look around for the best deal.

I do accept prices are different in some areas, but not so much that it justifies such a massive payment in dole.

ReputationRep:
    If we lived in a society where there were surplus jobs in every sector and people could get back into education with ease, and the disabled were exempt from these cuts then I'd agree. But we don't. Plenty of highly skilled people who want to work but can't find jobs, don't punish them for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You're a bloody idiot.

No-one is being punished. Nor indeed are the "lazy" - by which I assume you are implying out-of-work benefit recipients - having their benefits cut. In fact, they're going up in line with average wage increases. Are you going to alter your rhetoric to them being 'rewarded'? Because that's equally stupid.

In fact, what you're going to end up defending is no doubt the right to be given benefits for people who can't work due to disability when you can, the right to sit in social housing with two spare bedrooms whilst thousands upon thousands wait in overcrowded accommodation and the right to not accept reasonable job offers whilst on the dole.

Well, do you know what, I'm sick of people like you being pandered to. Your views are harming the poor and the vulnerable, sucking them into poverty and keeping them there, making it more and more difficult for those out of work go get back into a job. You may think that's entirely benign, but there are few things which are more injurious to a person's health, self-esteem, social interaction and ability to raise well-brought-up children than long-term worklessness.
    yawn, drivel and opinion. benefits going up with wages/inflation is not a reward, it is keeping the value in line with increasing cost of living.

your entire second paragraph is putting words in my mouth so im going to ignore it no where have i advocated pretending to be disabled, or not accepting job offers nor will i, remember that the majority of benefits go to WORKING families.

do you know what? im sick of right wing rich kids like you who grew up with everything constantly saying lets screw over those who arent as well off as we are/were. YOUR views would lead to MORE people stuck in an endless cycle of poverty and deprivation, even for those in work when you remove the protections you will inevitably argue against. im sick of self righteous right wingers whos sole aim is to screw the normal worker to help the rich earn even more, you make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    they may need money for clothes for interview, travel for interviews, etc.
    Doesn't the job centre cover these costs?

ReputationRep:
    I do live in the real world.

I live in 5 bed house. Our monthly energy bill is 98 and our yearly water bill is 141

98*12+141=1317 total energy and water bill for one year

1317/52(weeks in a year) = 25.32

25.32/5(number of people) = £5.06 per person per week

All I do, along with my house mates is watch how was conduct our selfs and look around for the best deal.

I do accept prices are different in some areas, but not so much that it justifies such a massive payment in dole.
    Either you've gotten really lucky or our out and out liar.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16801585
    For water you pay for size of property so even in the most deprived areas in the UK you'd pay more than £141 pa.
    you might be able to find a really good price but water is a fixed thing, but then if course after uni you're going to walk into a £30,000 a year starting wage job aren't you
    JSA isn't for student accommodation where you all pitch in.

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    yawn, drivel and opinion. benefits going up with wages/inflation is not a reward, it is keeping the value in line with increasing cost of living.
    I agree. And the benefits bill being reduced where it can to address our mammoth budget deficit is not a "punishment".

your entire second paragraph is putting words in my mouth so im going to ignore it no where have i advocated pretending to be disabled, or not accepting job offers nor will i, remember that the majority of benefits go to WORKING families.
    Again, you've been going on about people who apparently are being called "lazy". Do you now think we evil people who are not left-wing believe people in work on low incomes are lazy too? Because I assumed you were only suggesting we branded the unemployed that way.

do you know what? im sick of right wing rich kids like you who grew up with everything constantly saying lets screw over those who arent as well off as we are/were. YOUR views would lead to MORE people stuck in an endless cycle of poverty and deprivation, even for those in work when you remove the protections you will inevitably argue against. im sick of self righteous right wingers whos sole aim is to screw the normal worker to help the rich earn even more, you make me sick.
    You have no idea what my circumstances are. I have no wish to screw any worker, or indeed to make rich people earn any more unless they deserve it. It's a ridiculous caricature you've invented in your head.

I genuinely want to see the worst off in our society in jobs and participating as functioning members of society. Why wouldn't I? I want to see their children get a good education and be taught the value of hard-work and helping their community. Again, why wouldn't I? The better off they are, the better off our country as a whole is and, indeed, the better off I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Doesn't the job centre cover these costs?
    As I understand it, only under very limited circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomberlon)
    Either you've gotten really lucky or our out and out liar.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16801585
    For water you pay for size of property so even in the most deprived areas in the UK you'd pay more than £141 pa.
    you might be able to find a really good price but water is a fixed thing, but then if course after uni you're going to walk into a £30,000 a year starting wage job aren't you
    JSA isn't for student accommodation where you all pitch in.

Posted from TSR Mobilek

Like I said. If you are in recipt of JSA (tax payers money) you should lead the most basic of lifes.

I don't understand why people should live in luxury at the expense of others....

And if I do "walk" into 30k per year I would be very grateful for it. Which is more than I can say for some people.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said. If you are in recipt of JSA (tax payers money) you should lead the most basic of lifes.

I don't understand why people should live in luxury at the expense of others....

And if I do "walk" into 30k per year I would be very grateful for it. Which is more than I can say for some people.
    Believe me it's no life of luxury at all. I spent over 10 years paying taxes so I have no problem claiming JSA when I did. The fact of the matter is somehow you seem to think that everyone who claims has never worked a day in their life and therefor needs to be taken away. What about those that have worked most their life and then lose a job by no fault of their own, is it thanks for all the tax you've paid but hard luck. Maybe you'd be better off move to the US where they really don't give a crap about the down and out.

ReputationRep:
    "Labour have created an society full of people dependent on the state"

Couldn't disagree more, have you seen the current economic climate and how hard it is to obtain even a basic job?

Wouldn't mind the cuts as much if we really were all in this together... same old tory party.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.