Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I applied for the PGCE secondary course in English for Exeter and they invited me for interview at the end of this month. However, I asked them to postpone until February because of family issues, but that's another story anyways :P I would like to know if you are a PGCE student in Exeter, what accomodation did you live in and at which area? This is because when I received my information pack, it stated this:

"The schools in which Exeter University teacher trainees work are situated throughout the SW region, from Penzance in the far west to Poole and Bournemouth in the east and across Devon and Somerset. It is therefore essential that you do not enter into an annual accommodation contract if you are moving into the Exeter area to start the PGCE course. If you already live in the area, and especially if you have family commitments such as children at school, we will do our best to arrange school placements for you that are as convenient as possible. However, our flexibility in this respect is very limited. We cannot guarantee that your school placements will be close to where you live."

As I live around 2 hours away from Exeter and I've never been there before in my life (I chose the area because it has a very good reputation for English and I would like to go somewhere further and somewhere I've never been before) I am intending to rent a place near St. Luke's campus or live in postgrad halls for a year. However, it is stated in my letter that they do not recommend this as I might have to travel to Penzance or Bournemouth to go to school? I admit I panicked when I saw this as I thought I would be placed in a school solely in the Exeter area and nowhere else. The other thing is I don't drive, would that encourage the PGCE people to get me a place nearer? If anyone is currently doing this course what do you reccomend in terms of accomodation? Anyone please reply ASAP as I'm really panicking!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Please help. I'm panicking!!

ReputationRep:
    Follow the advice. Do not enter into a one-year contract. There are plenty of landlords locally who rent on a monthly basis. Search gumtree or buy a copy of the local paper for advertisements. The uni may be able to offer advice - especially the Students' Guild (the union).

No idea about driving - it might be worth mentioning. But there's no reason why not being able to drive would lead to you being placed in Exeter. Any town/city with a bus/train connection to your placement would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xLivingXDeadXDolliex)
    Anyone? Please help. I'm panicking!!
    So glad I've found someone else on here that has an interview at exeter!!
    Have you been told to prepare a presentation about a non-fiction text?

I'm really unsure about whether we are expected to do it as though it would be aimed at secondary school age or whether it is to show how much we know about non-fiction and language!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwill)
    So glad I've found someone else on here that has an interview at exeter!!
    Have you been told to prepare a presentation about a non-fiction text?

I'm really unsure about whether we are expected to do it as though it would be aimed at secondary school age or whether it is to show how much we know about non-fiction and language!?
    Omg hello! I only just got this message today haha sorry this is a late reply! I wasn't too sure myself as I thought the description was really vague. Tomorrow I'm just going to talk about an extract from a GCSE revision guide. I got the feeling it's going to be really simple compared with other people who may discuss deep political theory stuff! What will you be doing? Is your interview tomorrow or will you be having it another time? x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.