Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been friends with this girl for nearly 3 years now and I only invite her round when my brother is out or away because he has a disability and a week ago we went to the cinema and he was there and I told my friend about him but she didn't have none of it and when we went to the cinema he was playing up because he had not seen my friend before and came other and pushed us (not very hard) to the door because he wanted to go at this point my friend was getting some popcorn but she had 2 leave it because of him and she didn't like that at all and went home and now she won't answer the phone when I text and call and I messaged her on Facebook but she won't reply but she has updated her status 3 times in an hour so she must be able to answer what should I do cause I can't help that my brother has a disability should I be annoyed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're friend is not mature enough.
    If she's a good friend, she will come back and apologize about it. Just let her some time to realize she was wrong acting this way. She probably didn't expect it and didn't know how to react either.
    You don't know what she's thinking right now. Try not to set up crazy stories in your mind while she hasn't told you anything yet. Perhaps she is mad at you because you didn't think she was a good friend enough to handle it. Who knows? Let her some times, then come back and ask her. If she's still annoyed about that, she's not the friend she pretended to be.

ReputationRep:
    She may be embarrassed how she is acting and be putting off talking to you as she doesn't know what to say or what you're going to say. I mean you must be going to see her at school soon so I would just wait it out or if you won't see her at school then just chill for a couple of days. Maybe you should send her a text saying something like "Are you annoyed with me?" because then if she thinks you're annoyed with her she'll be relieved and talk.

Also maybe she might just be immature - but whether this is worth throwing away three years of friendship over is more something you need to decide - how good of a friend is she to you?

Finally, I would just say if you avoided inviting her over because your brother has a disability then you shouldn't have. He's your brother and I think you shouldn't care what others think, do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in situations like this, ignorance can make people act in the wrong way. I'm not saying your friend isn't a good person, but perhaps if she hadn't encountered a person with your brother's disability before, the situation made her feel awkward. She was probably unsure how to act around him, it probably scared her, and the easiest thing for her to do was to run away. Now she won't answer your calls because she's embarrassed.

I don't think you have anything to apologise for, though. Maybe just ask whether she's okay after what happened, and then perhaps explain a bit about how you're used to dealing with your brother. Once she knows 'what she's dealing with', so to speak, she should feel a bit more at ease, and even more so once she knows you aren't judging her.

I'd say give her another chance, but if she continually acts like that even when she becomes more familiar with him, then perhaps she needs some time to grow up before you resume your friendship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.