The Student Room Group

Microscopes

Hello can anyone tell me difference between resolution and clarity I need to compare light and electron microscopes

thanks
Reply 1
Google for values, obviously electron magnifies many times greater than visible, I think transmission electron has better resolution than scanning electron, however transmission is in black and white

Posted from TSR Mobile
Light:
Lower resolution as wavelength of light is long[er than that of electrons]
Colour
3D

Electron:
Higher resolution as wavelength of electrons is smaller
May have artefacts
Need to be cut thin
Coated in gold
Vacuum required
2D Black and White.
Reply 3
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Light:

Thanks for the reply I have a lot of them I just cant distinguish between clarity and resolution
[QUOTE="NatashaB505;40817494"]
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Light:

Thanks for the reply I have a lot of them I just cant distinguish between clarity and resolution

Clarity refers to how 'clear' an organelle is. Therefore, when looking at small organelles, or something else, a higher resolution allows you to see that organellse in much for detail.

For example, looking at the microvilli brush boarder, using a light microscope, which has a lower resolution, the brush border would look like one solid object as the light microscope's resolution isn't high enough to distinguish the brush border as seperate objects i.e. individual microvilli and thus the object doesn't have much clarity.

Whereas, looking at the brush border through an electron microscope, which has a higher resolution, you can see the brush border as individual microvilli and therefore the image has higher clarity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending