Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello can anyone tell me difference between resolution and clarity I need to compare light and electron microscopes

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Google for values, obviously electron magnifies many times greater than visible, I think transmission electron has better resolution than scanning electron, however transmission is in black and white

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Light:
    Lower resolution as wavelength of light is long[er than that of electrons]
    Colour
    3D

Electron:
    Higher resolution as wavelength of electrons is smaller
    May have artefacts
    Need to be cut thin
    Coated in gold
    Vacuum required
    2D Black and White.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Neon-Soldier32;40814771]Light:

Thanks for the reply I have a lot of them I just cant distinguish between clarity and resolution

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NatashaB505;40817494]
    (Original post by Neon-Soldier32)
    Light:

Thanks for the reply I have a lot of them I just cant distinguish between clarity and resolution
    Clarity refers to how 'clear' an organelle is. Therefore, when looking at small organelles, or something else, a higher resolution allows you to see that organellse in much for detail.

For example, looking at the microvilli brush boarder, using a light microscope, which has a lower resolution, the brush border would look like one solid object as the light microscope's resolution isn't high enough to distinguish the brush border as seperate objects i.e. individual microvilli and thus the object doesn't have much clarity.

Whereas, looking at the brush border through an electron microscope, which has a higher resolution, you can see the brush border as individual microvilli and therefore the image has higher clarity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.