Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am very content with my life- I achieved better than I was expecting at AS last year and enjoy sixth form and all the people around me. I have a job and I am happy.

But I am genuinely plagued by a deep self-hatred with surfaced when I was 14 and has returned at the age of 17. People like me in general..but I often feel like I need to do bad things so people hate me as equally as I feel I hate myself. I lack in empathy and people don't seem to 'Get' me. I have multiple personas and I am honestly not sure which one is me. I'm currently trying to target these problems before they become self-destructive traits but easier said than done.

Has anyone got any advice to help me? Even if a little, I would appreciate it. :confused:

Not sureif this will help but I guess the advice I’d have for you is to try andidentify the cause of your self-hatred. Try and think rationally andobjectively, maybe from an outsider’s perspective. For example, I often hatemyself for being lazy. However when I view the facts (my exam results, my schoolreports, the average number of hours I spend doing homework) from an objectiveview point I’m not as lazy as I think. Then I try and figure out why I accusemyself of that in the first place. Often the problem doesn’t originate withinyourself but comes from some outside source. Look at it from a psychologist’spoint of view. That way you won’t be making emotionally charged judgments ofyourself that worsen the “symptoms”.
    In relationto the multiple personas all I can say is that you sound like someone who appreciatesthe complexity of life. The process of identity formation is a trulychallenging one. Are we merely the sum total of the roles placed on us bysociety? How much, if any, of our personality is original? Consciousness of thisdefinitely doesn’t make it easier. Perhaps there aren’t any answers (although Iknow that’s not exactly comforting). Once again an academic approach (philosophy,sociology, psychology) may help. I can genuinely empathise with you and hopeyou find satisfying answers.
    Hope thishelps at least a bit...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Not sureif this will help but I guess the advice I’d have for you is to try andidentify the cause of your self-hatred. Try and think rationally andobjectively, maybe from an outsider’s perspective. For example, I often hatemyself for being lazy. However when I view the facts (my exam results, my schoolreports, the average number of hours I spend doing homework) from an objectiveview point I’m not as lazy as I think. Then I try and figure out why I accusemyself of that in the first place. Often the problem doesn’t originate withinyourself but comes from some outside source. Look at it from a psychologist’spoint of view. That way you won’t be making emotionally charged judgments ofyourself that worsen the “symptoms”.
    In relationto the multiple personas all I can say is that you sound like someone who appreciatesthe complexity of life. The process of identity formation is a trulychallenging one. Are we merely the sum total of the roles placed on us bysociety? How much, if any, of our personality is original? Consciousness of thisdefinitely doesn’t make it easier. Perhaps there aren’t any answers (although Iknow that’s not exactly comforting). Once again an academic approach (philosophy,sociology, psychology) may help. I can genuinely empathise with you and hopeyou find satisfying answers.
    Hope thishelps at least a bit...

That sounds very helpful, thanks. I was hoping at least one person would get back to me and I'm very happy you did. I will try that advice and target my problem

ReputationRep:
    can you explain in more detail?

I'll give you a couple of reasons:

I know I'm just a normal person, but I have incredible difficulty fitting into social groups. I tend to make friends on an individual basis and those friends find it 'awkward' that we only click and that others don't get on with me as well.

Everything I do is automatic..I often have to do things without thinking because if I do my nerves can build up to the point where I feel like I'm being sick. Especially when it comes to trying something new.

I've had issues with my weight since I was 13. Upon losing almost three stone, I am getting comfortable with everything-until someone comments upon my weight and I feel like the wall I've built up has been destroyed again. I barely eat, as people seem to like picking out every single eating habit I have.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.