Turn on thread page Beta

i am a christian but i dont like going to chruch watch

I know that the title kinda contradicts itself but i just feel like i have no motivation or interest in going to church anymore. i FEEL like such a hypocrite calling myself a "christian" when i don't even enjoy church activities. i am lazy and when it comes to Sundays i hate the idea of waking up early and i would just prefer a lay in.
    My parents are like very religious and would dismiss any sort of things that goes against the bible like homosexuals and sex outside marriage. The problem is that i don't find stuff like sex without getting marriage or homosexuals offensive and i feel like my views are pretty liberal and not stereotypical for a christian.

I want to be a christian yet in some way i feel ashamed because i seriously have no desire or longing to read the bible or learn God's preaching.

i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that the title kinda contradicts itself but i just feel like i have no motivation or interest in going to church anymore. i FEEL like such a hypocrite calling myself a "christian" when i don't even enjoy church activities. i am lazy and when it comes to Sundays i hate the idea of waking up early and i would just prefer a lay in.
    My parents are like very religious and would dismiss any sort of things that goes against the bible like homosexuals and sex outside marriage. The problem is that i don't find stuff like sex without getting marriage or homosexuals offensive and i feel like my views are pretty liberal and not stereotypical for a christian.

I want to be a christian yet in some way i feel ashamed because i seriously have no desire or longing to read the bible or learn God's preaching.

i
    I can empathise with this somewhat. The main difference is that my parents are secularist and agnostic.

I 'became a Christian' at university after attending a nearby Evangelical church. I would agree with you about the issues on homosexuality and sex outside marriage; I don't think either are immoral at all. Long story short, I have left the church now and realised I was never a Christian in the first place. I never felt any 'relationship with God' and most people have said I never changed; still drink, masturbate, swear and 'worship idols'.

You say:

"I want to be a christian yet in some way i feel ashamed because i seriously have no desire or longing to read the bible or learn God's preaching."

Why do you want to be a Christian? Pressure from family? Because to me, if you don't want to read the Bible or learn about God, then that means you're not really interested in Christianity.

(Btw, I have requested for a thread move to 'religion' as 'relationships' is unlikely to be the correct forum for this)

ReputationRep:
    Hilariously ironic that you've spelt 'church' wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think what people forget VERY often is that believing in a God or a deity, does not have to be defined by a religion. Is that the case here, OP?
    Likewise, believing in a God does not mean you have to conform to any religious tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    I can empathise with this somewhat. The main difference is that my parents are secularist and agnostic.

I 'became a Christian' at university after attending a nearby Evangelical church. I would agree with you about the issues on homosexuality and sex outside marriage; I don't think either are immoral at all. Long story short, I have left the church now and realised I was never a Christian in the first place. I never felt any 'relationship with God' and most people have said I never changed; still drink, masturbate, swear and 'worship idols'.

You say:

"I want to be a christian yet in some way i feel ashamed because i seriously have no desire or longing to read the bible or learn God's preaching."

Why do you want to be a Christian? Pressure from family? Because to me, if you don't want to read the Bible or learn about God, then that means you're not really interested in Christianity.

(Btw, I have requested for a thread move to 'religion' as 'relationships' is unlikely to be the correct forum for this)
    Can you still post anonymously on religion though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyfl)
    Can you still post anonymously on religion though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ng_and_Posting

It doesn't appear to be possible.

It would depend on whether OP knows other people on the website (e.g. if people from their church or family are on here) as to whether they wish to post.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    That is the thing with following a religion, there are times when you can be up and down (such is life). If you have been feeling like this for a while, ask yourself what is at the root of the problem.
    I was going to a church since I was very young up until I was 16. I never yearned to attend service and I was not growing in the faith. I found a completely different church after my GCSEs and my walk with Christ has changed so much!
    If you no longer believed in God you would have said so, but you mentioned that your main problem was the zeal to attend church and you were questioning some Christian values. I would advice you to visit a few more churches or give your church another go. Question you leaders about your views and see if their answers help with your understanding.

You have come so far, keep up the good walk!

ReputationRep:
    Try some different denominations and remember Christianity is Jewish and there is no Sin that God cannot forgive you for if you ask and diligently repent (change your ways) apart from Blasphemy against The Holy Spirit

ReputationRep:
    Totally. Agree.

I know it sounds bad, but I just find it dull... I end up going once every other week for five minutes to light a candle, say a prayer and then go. It works for me! And that's what I think is I portent about faith, different things work for different people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand a single bit why anyone would want to become something that they don't believe in and are bored of. If your feelings are the way they are because of social pressure from your parents then you should want to have the strength to be your own person, not to simply comply with what they'd wish you to be.

Frankly, your parents need to join the real world and stop with their nonsense religious beliefs. They are clearly wrong, wake up and see the stars.

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, I can see why you are bored of going to church. In my younger days I used to work for the Church of Scotland and although they were generally very nice people, they were hopelessly out of touch with reality and led boring lives. Church is simply an extension of the people that run them and the system which created them. Boring, boring, boring.

ReputationRep:
    antichrist

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you don't want to be a Christian but instead you just wish to follow your belief of God in your own way, which is fine.

Easy solution; speak to your parents about it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

i
    I don't think not going to church or not being against sex outside of marriage is automatically problematic. I rarely go to church and find it very difficult when I do manage to go. I also don't have an issue with homosexual sex. That doesn't mean I'm not a Catholic, or that I shouldn't be one.
    The problem for you is, as has been pointed out, is that you "have no desire or longing... to learn God's preaching". You need to figure out what your reasons for wanting to be a Christian are and whether you believe in the key teachings or not. You also need to figure out whether you want to belong to a particular denomination, whether you want to be a non-denomination Christian, or whether you simply want to be "spiritual". Nothing wrong with any of those options :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself, why are you even a Christian? No one needs religion. It is illogical and immoral.

Have some of the Hitch.

ReputationRep:

i
    you dont have to go to church to be a "proper" christian or to be even "christian" in the first place..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.