Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice - failed to progress to Assessment Day at PwC - General Career advice... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Bit of background first - I graduated back in July with a First Class Hons in Sports and Exercise Science.

During my placement year I worked at a N.I based management consultancy firm to the Third Sector and more recently smaller Private Sector Companies.

During my placement I was promoted to a Junior Consultant (rather than a placement student) due to my hard work and excellent results. I was also given the responsibility of managing a Large Internal Market Research Project, as well as being the project lead on a number of projects contracted with local Government (who were particularly impressed with my work).

I continued working there through final year, delivering on projects while maintaining a 78% average in the classroom, ultimately achieving my First Class Hons.

All in all, I've had over two and half years experience as a management consultant (started out placement > Junior > Full Consultant).

So - I've decided to look for a new consultant job as I feel the opportunities are limited in the current company I work for. There is also some issues within the company that makes it undoubtedly more difficult for a female to progress in any role (Out of a team of 18, I'm the only female who is a consultant). Furthermore, the salary is extremely low relative to the hours that I do (considering consultants can charge high hourly rates, I'm basically getting done over) and is not on par with less experienced and lesser qualified male colleagues. Basically, despite enjoying the actual job and the people, the company as a whole is terrible to work for and hasn't got much in the way of career development or progression (other than gaining experience on a large variety of projects)

I seen the PwC consultancy graduate roles open for a March intake in my City. I applied through the Inspired Talent Route (First Class Hons). I completed the online tests and was average/above average (compared to banking, economics etc student groups).

I was invited to complete the application questions. I spent a great deal of time on these to ensure they were just right .. I even managed to get my essays proofed by 2 management consultants who have over 15 years experience in the industry (one of which previously worked for PwC). Their feedback was very positive so I was confident with my questions.

I got an email on CHRISTMAS EVE (:eek:) from PwC to say I was unsuccessful. I know there is a great amount of graduates applying for jobs and competition was always going to be fierce, but given I have over 2.5 years experience as a management consultant, I'm pretty miffed as to why I couldn't make it to the next stage. I'm going to contact them for feedback next week.

I'm wondering what advice you guys might have as to other firms I could apply for?

One problem I have is that I don't have a min. of 300 UCAS points (which is coming back to bite me in the butt) ... however with PwC, I was able to apply through the Inspired Talent Route for those with First Class Honours. I hate this UCAS stuff - I'm a hard worker, I learn quickly and effectively and I've been relatively successful in my current company and at University - now my poor two years at 6th form has presented a problem.

I'm feeling a bit disheartened and de-motivated ... nevertheless, I'm determined to get into a better job with better career development and progression.

I've also looked at starting my own company but that's in the early stages and Ideally I'd like to get more experience and learning in a solid graduate programme with a big company.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the long reply - goodness didn't realise how much I wrote. If you made it to the end of the post - sorry for boring you

ReputationRep:
    Are you still at the same consultancy you were promoted in? I'd say the issue is you aren't really a grad intake, applying for grad roles is actually a step back in your career if I understand your situation correctly. You say yourself you have over 2.5 years of experience and are currently in a full-time role. Sounds like an experienced hire to me. Have you studied for any professional qualifications?

Check their experienced hire vacancies for something suitable, usually the grade requirements aren't as strict, experience plays a bigger factor. Do not limit yourself to just PwC, there are many other consulting firms that will consider your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowydog)
    Hi all

Bit of background first - I graduated back in July with a First Class Hons in Sports and Exercise Science.

During my placement year I worked at a N.I based management consultancy firm to the Third Sector and more recently smaller Private Sector Companies.

During my placement I was promoted to a Junior Consultant (rather than a placement student) due to my hard work and excellent results. I was also given the responsibility of managing a Large Internal Market Research Project, as well as being the project lead on a number of projects contracted with local Government (who were particularly impressed with my work).

I continued working there through final year, delivering on projects while maintaining a 78% average in the classroom, ultimately achieving my First Class Hons.

All in all, I've had over two and half years experience as a management consultant (started out placement > Junior > Full Consultant).

So - I've decided to look for a new consultant job as I feel the opportunities are limited in the current company I work for. There is also some issues within the company that makes it undoubtedly more difficult for a female to progress in any role (Out of a team of 18, I'm the only female who is a consultant). Furthermore, the salary is extremely low relative to the hours that I do (considering consultants can charge high hourly rates, I'm basically getting done over) and is not on par with less experienced and lesser qualified male colleagues. Basically, despite enjoying the actual job and the people, the company as a whole is terrible to work for and hasn't got much in the way of career development or progression (other than gaining experience on a large variety of projects)

I seen the PwC consultancy graduate roles open for a March intake in my City. I applied through the Inspired Talent Route (First Class Hons). I completed the online tests and was average/above average (compared to banking, economics etc student groups).

I was invited to complete the application questions. I spent a great deal of time on these to ensure they were just right .. I even managed to get my essays proofed by 2 management consultants who have over 15 years experience in the industry (one of which previously worked for PwC). Their feedback was very positive so I was confident with my questions.

I got an email on CHRISTMAS EVE (:eek:) from PwC to say I was unsuccessful. I know there is a great amount of graduates applying for jobs and competition was always going to be fierce, but given I have over 2.5 years experience as a management consultant, I'm pretty miffed as to why I couldn't make it to the next stage. I'm going to contact them for feedback next week.

I'm wondering what advice you guys might have as to other firms I could apply for?

One problem I have is that I don't have a min. of 300 UCAS points (which is coming back to bite me in the butt) ... however with PwC, I was able to apply through the Inspired Talent Route for those with First Class Honours. I hate this UCAS stuff - I'm a hard worker, I learn quickly and effectively and I've been relatively successful in my current company and at University - now my poor two years at 6th form has presented a problem.

I'm feeling a bit disheartened and de-motivated ... nevertheless, I'm determined to get into a better job with better career development and progression.

I've also looked at starting my own company but that's in the early stages and Ideally I'd like to get more experience and learning in a solid graduate programme with a big company.
    I would definitely consider applying to different firms through the experienced hire route. As this is separate from the grad scheme your UCAS points shouldn't hold you back.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.