Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lucid dreaming Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever had a lucid dream?
    Yes
    75.29%
    No
    18.82%
    I don't know / I don't remember
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    I've done it once completely randomly, it was really odd haha. I read up on it because I thought I was just a freak or something, then read about the chances of becoming paralyzed in your sleep or something, so I've never really looked into it out of fear...
    I get the paralysed but not the lucid bit lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzpig)
    I've tried. I really don't recommend the technique where you lie completely still with your eyes closed until you fall asleep. You have a sensation of literally falling backwards as you're slipping into sleep, you hear a lot of very clanky noises and you experience sleep paralysis. It's terrifying.

:afraid: I've never tried since then. That technique has a name but I can't remember it. If anyone's had any success with other ways though I might give it another try!
    Wake Initiated Lucid Dream (WILD)?

Sleep paralysis can be quite scary! I don't get it too often and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all (i.e. when I don't have scary hallucinations), but I've definitely had some freaky experiences with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazbian)
    Wake Initiated Lucid Dream (WILD)?

Sleep paralysis can be quite scary! I don't get it too often and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all (i.e. when I don't have scary hallucinations), but I've definitely had some freaky experiences with it.
    That sounds like it yeah.

It is scary! I had it once naturally with the hallucinations which was awful, and once when I was trying to lucid dream. Though there were no hallucinations with that one, just the clanking gong noises. Really don't want to go through that again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrc)
    A lucid dream is a dream where one is aware that they are dreaming. The dreamer can usually control their surroundings when they in a lucid dream. There are lots of ways to initiate a lucid dream. I'd advise skimming over the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream) for more information.

I've been trying to lucid-dream for a while. I've had a few in the past but quickly woke up once I realised, "Wow, I'm actually in a dream right now." Nevertheless, my quest in practising the art of lucid dreaming continues...

Have you ever had a lucid dream? If so, what was it like? Post your experiences.
    i've had quite a number of lucid dreams actually, i find the ability a curse rather than something enjoyable. There's a horrible feeling of being trapped, i can't wake myself up/find it extremely difficult to wake myself, and i'm unable to change my dream, i've tried many times it's not as good as everyone says, i really dislike them.

i actually stab myself in my dreams sometimes (it not as bad as it sounds haha ) and that works, because i always wake up before i'm about to die in a dream :L

ReputationRep:
    Try astral projection.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know that lucid dreaming was really a 'thing' until I heard it mentioned in a film. I reckon it helps to take notice of minor details, and if something looks off - somebody has the wrong hair/ drives the wrong car/ you car has pedals - question it.

Tuesday night I dreamed that it was the first day back at work after Christmas, but I realised I must be dreaming because I hadn't done the work for that morning's deadline. So... I snogged a colleague for fun.

I once also had a dream that I was on a school trip. a) I was a student in the trip - I left school 6+ years ago b) we were about to set sail in a ferry... from the coast of Armenia. So once I knew I was dreaming I went and had a nice relaxing night's sleep in a coffee shop. Lucid dreaming can be so tiring

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to do it before, but never been able too! Is it always just bad things that hapoen when lucid dreaming are they always scary? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've tried. I really don't recommend the technique where you lie completely still with your eyes closed until you fall asleep.
    That's a technique for lucid dreaming?? That's the only way I can get myself to fall asleep in the first place - I'm such a fidget arse otherwise,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I didn't even know that lucid dreaming was really a 'thing' until I heard it mentioned in a film. I reckon it helps to take notice of minor details, and if something looks off - somebody has the wrong hair/ drives the wrong car/ you car has pedals - question it.

Tuesday night I dreamed that it was the first day back at work after Christmas, but I realised I must be dreaming because I hadn't done the work for that morning's deadline. So... I snogged a colleague for fun.

I once also had a dream that I was on a school trip. a) I was a student in the trip - I left school 6+ years ago b) we were about to set sail in a ferry... from the coast of Armenia. So once I knew I was dreaming I went and had a nice relaxing night's sleep in a coffee shop. Lucid dreaming can be so tiring
    I find myself trying to perform surgery with a spoon on a dinosaur or something and I'm still 100% convinced that it's real.

Do you question things in real life and have it transfer over into dreaming? I heard once a trick was to bang three times on every door frame you go through in real life, so that you begin to do it in your dream - hence alerting you to the fact it's a dream. I did this and realised that I never, ever pass through doors in my dreams. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    That's a technique for lucid dreaming?? That's the only way I can get myself to fall asleep in the first place - I'm such a fidget arse otherwise,
    Yes it's quite a well known one. You're not allowed to shift position, scratch, blink, sniff, anything like that. I did notice that I'd never fallen asleep so fast before though!

ReputationRep:
    I find myself trying to perform surgery with a spoon on a dinosaur or something and I'm still 100% convinced that it's real.

Do you question things in real life and have it transfer over into dreaming? I heard once a trick was to bang three times on every door frame you go through in real life, so that you begin to do it in your dream - hence alerting you to the fact it's a dream. I did this and realised that I never, ever pass through doors in my dreams. :emo:
    But surely you'll still just knock three times on a frame?

Erm, I guess I naturally notice things so maybe this is why it's more obvious in a dream. But like on Tuesday night I thought 'hey... M doesn't usually have a beard. Wait, I had work to complete for him, but I was at L's yesterday :eyebrow: ...it can't possibly be January 7th. Lucid dream woop! Let's go thrash our inhibitions'

Yes it's quite a well known one. You're not allowed to shift position, scratch, blink, sniff, anything like that. I did notice that I'd never fallen asleep so fast before though!
    Yeah it can have you asleep quickly, but then that's why I sleep like that. Hmm, could explain a few things I guess?

ReputationRep:
    But surely you'll still just knock three times on a frame?

Erm, I guess I naturally notice things so maybe this is why it's more obvious in a dream. But like on Tuesday night I thought 'hey... M doesn't usually have a beard. Wait, I had work to complete for him, but I was at L's yesterday :eyebrow: ...it can't possibly be January 7th. Lucid dream woop! Let's go thrash our inhibitions'
    With the door frame thing, you're meant to think "OK I'm doing this because I want to lucid dream" or something of the sort. It's meant to trigger in your sleeping mind the idea that you could be asleep. So you might think "I'm doing this because I want to... oh wait a second!" Though most people wake up as soon as they realise they are asleep.

Yeah it can have you asleep quickly, but then that's why I sleep like that. Hmm, could explain a few things I guess?
    Quite possibly! I'm surprised you don't get sleep paralysis often though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm often very aware i'm in a dream, often to the point i can say to myself so in that dream.

But i have no control whatsoever, i wonder whats the next step?

ReputationRep:
    lucid dream not sure about- i need to get into the habbit of keeping a dream jorunal and such but i have experienced sleep paralysis- Terrifying stuff. I was in my bed and i could feel my pillow smothering me someone, like i could actually feel the force on my face and it felt so real and i could see like this hooded figure that looked like one of those nazgul from lord of the rings- scared poopless

ReputationRep:
    With the door frame thing, you're meant to think "OK I'm doing this because I want to lucid dream" or something of the sort. It's meant to trigger in your sleeping mind the idea that you could be asleep. So you might think "I'm doing this because I want to... oh wait a second!" Though most people wake up as soon as they realise they are asleep.

Quite possibly! I'm surprised you don't get sleep paralysis often though.
    Personally I think the door frame thing might not be obvious enough. You'd have to really understand any differences, as in dreams things seem much more real and familiar than they actually are.

Spend a couple of days making mental notes at things that strike you most, I find that emotions/ knowledge are usually the most telling thing. Like something twigged in my mind when we set sail from the coast of a country that I knowdoesn't even have a coast. It's really hard in dreams to take note of these things though - I bet you've woken up plenty of times and realised how stupid/ unrealistic a dream was. It's noticing it before you wake up, and I reckon making a habit of mentally noting things helps.

Sleep paralysis? Could you explain a little more?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think the door frame thing might not be obvious enough. You'd have to really understand any differences, as in dreams things seem much more real and familiar than they actually are.

Spend a couple of days making mental notes at things that strike you most, I find that emotions/ knowledge are usually the most telling thing. Like something twigged in my mind when we set sail from the coast of a country that I knowdoesn't even have a coast. It's really hard in dreams to take note of these things though - I bet you've woken up plenty of times and realised how stupid/ unrealistic a dream was. It's noticing it before you wake up, and I reckon making a habit of mentally noting things helps.

Sleep paralysis? Could you explain a little more?
    Hmm that's a good idea I'll go about trying to see if things are unusual. I should probably be more attentive anyway lol. I have woken up from dreams plenty of times and thought WTF.

Sleep paralysis is when you are awake but can't move. You can feel as if you're made of sandbags or as if you're being held down. People often have hallucinations at the same time, and most accounts are of hooded or dark figures either staring, holding them down, or sort of just being there.
    I've only had it twice, once with hallucinations. The second time was through that lucid dream technique of lying still, it's a very common side effect.

The door banging thing is a suppose to be a reality check but I've never heard of that one. Try pushing a couple of your fingers through the palm of your other hand throughout the day and you will start doing it in dreams. If you fingers pass through your palm you'll know you're dreaming.

ReputationRep:
      Hmm that's a good idea I'll go about trying to see if things are unusual. I should probably be more attentive anyway lol. I have woken up from dreams plenty of times and thought WTF.

Sleep paralysis is when you are awake but can't move. You can feel as if you're made of sandbags or as if you're being held down. People often have hallucinations at the same time, and most accounts are of hooded or dark figures either staring, holding them down, or sort of just being there.
      I've only had it twice, once with hallucinations. The second time was through that lucid dream technique of lying still, it's a very common side effect.
      Haha if you're not very observant maybe that's why you're less likely to realise you're dreaming? Would make sense tbf! Well think back to those weird dreams you've had. Mine have included my mom's car being open underneath the pedals, my mom driving a pick-up, being able to breathe underwater (and I still didn't realise I was dreaming here - duh!) And when they happen again, maybe you'll notice. I want the first PM if you lucid dream now :cool:

Oo er that sounds dodgy! Had no idea that could be brought on by the way you sleep. I've had the feeling of not being able to move much but not to that extent and never had those hallucinations. And if I start getting them now you've made me aware of them, I'm coming to e-kick your ass

ReputationRep:

Do you question things in real life and have it transfer over into dreaming?
      Yep, they're called reality checks. It's basically about habitually questioning reality by either just thinking, or by testing the world around you by trying to levitate, trying to pass your hand through objects, etc. As it becomes a habit you carry these behaviours into your dream and end up realising you're dreaming! You should also end up being more critical of you present reality, so you would be less likely to simply accept dinosaur surgeries! Then the fun begins ...

(Original post by gozatron)
      I'm often very aware i'm in a dream, often to the point i can say to myself so in that dream.

But i have no control whatsoever, i wonder whats the next step?
      Just try changing the dream as you see fit, either by thinking a command or verbalising it. It also helps to have a goal for your lucid dream in mind (such as flying) before you go to sleep.

There are many sites with more information on the topic. This wiki is a good start.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
      The door banging thing is a suppose to be a reality check but I've never heard of that one. Try pushing a couple of your fingers through the palm of your other hand throughout the day and you will start doing it in dreams. If you fingers pass through your palm you'll know you're dreaming.
      If you've never heard of it then how do you know it's supposed to be a reality check

/pedantic

To be fair, you can still 'touch' things in dreams, so why would you be able to push you fingers through your palm? Never dream-tried it but can't see it being the best way.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.