Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lucid dreaming Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever had a lucid dream?
    Yes
    75.29%
    No
    18.82%
    I don't know / I don't remember
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    The door banging thing is a suppose to be a reality check but I've never heard of that one. Try pushing a couple of your fingers through the palm of your other hand throughout the day and you will start doing it in dreams. If you fingers pass through your palm you'll know you're dreaming.
    This seems like a better idea, I'll try this one.
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Haha if you're not very observant maybe that's why you're less likely to realise you're dreaming? Would make sense tbf! Well think back to those weird dreams you've had. Mine have included my mom's car being open underneath the pedals, my mom driving a pick-up, being able to breathe underwater (and I still didn't realise I was dreaming here - duh!) And when they happen again, maybe you'll notice. I want the first PM if you lucid dream now :cool:

Oo er that sounds dodgy! Had no idea that could be brought on by the way you sleep. I've had the feeling of not being able to move much but not to that extent and never had those hallucinations. And if I start getting them now you've made me aware of them, I'm coming to e-kick your ass
    I'm sure you'll be waiting for a long time! I will report back with my progress though. Hmm in my dreams I mostly seem to restart from an earlier point. I do question it sometimes and do wonder if I could 'do it better this time round', but I never realise I'm asleep. Perhaps that's some development though, I know it's gone wrong somehow so I go back to try and redo it. I just need to try and become aware now!

Eh, perhaps I should buy a book on it.

I hope you don't get the hallucinations, they're pretty horrific. :afraid::sadnod:

I take no responsibility for horrible acts your brain commits though. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Every dream I have is lucid, I'm always aware that I'm dreaming and when I dream i always interact with the dream, and can control it to some extent. I think most of people's dreams are lucid?
    no, this is not the case for most people. In fact it takes lots of training to achieve a lucid state for the majority, and even then it comes and goes on its own accord (could be days or years between lucid episodes.) I believe I've read of people who always have lucid dreams regularly, but there are very few such individuals, as far as I remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    Yep, they're called reality checks. It's basically about habitually questioning reality by either just thinking, or by testing the world around you by trying to levitate, trying to pass your hand through objects, etc. As it becomes a habit you carry these behaviours into your dream and end up realising you're dreaming! You should also end up being more critical of you present reality, so you would be less likely to simply accept dinosaur surgeries! Then the fun begins ...

Hmm. Well then I guess the first step for me is to remember to be more aware about everyday life. For example the clock on the mantle piece has stopped.

Haha well I'll certainly give it a go, I really hope I can remember to practise this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazbian)
    Wake Initiated Lucid Dream (WILD)?

Sleep paralysis can be quite scary! I don't get it too often and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all (i.e. when I don't have scary hallucinations), but I've definitely had some freaky experiences with it.
    I tried to initiate a lucid dream once, but ended up in sleep paralysis, which was an absolutely horrible experience. I couldn't move, talk, even open my eyes, whilst fully conscious and awake (you are not sleeping anymore during the paralysis stage). I thought I was having a stroke!!! It took about 10 sec. for me to wake up (which seemed like an eternity at the time), but after this experience I shall not even think of inducing lucid dreams! This stuff is scary!!

If you've never heard of it then how do you know it's supposed to be a reality check

/pedantic

To be fair, you can still 'touch' things in dreams, so why would you be able to push you fingers through your palm? Never dream-tried it but can't see it being the best way.
      A reality check has to be quite specific and as Fuzzpig said he never encountered any doors so that wasn't a useful reality check. This check requires only your body.

Also just touching anything won't make you aware that you're dreaming. In waking reality you can't pass your finger through your palm but you can disregard the natural forces in a dream and your fingers will pass through your palm and you'll become aware you're dreaming. Always works for me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fuzzpig)
      Hmm. Well then I guess the first step for me is to remember to be more aware about everyday life. For example the clock on the mantle piece has stopped.

Haha well I'll certainly give it a go, I really hope I can remember to practise this though.
      Note the time on it, not that it's stopped.

Details are key: What colour are the carpets? Who put the path leading from a brick wall? Has there always been a giraffe in my bed? That sort of thing.

Oo I know what is a total give away: when things from your past randomly appear. Like a teddy you lost on a train when you were 7, or a wallet you binned once ben sherman went out of fashion. Things that are so familiar but really shouldn't be there.

Why am I so into this thread???

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hrc)
      A lucid dream is a dream where one is aware that they are dreaming. The dreamer can usually control their surroundings when they in a lucid dream. There are lots of ways to initiate a lucid dream. I'd advise skimming over the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream) for more information.

I've been trying to lucid-dream for a while. I've had a few in the past but quickly woke up once I realised, "Wow, I'm actually in a dream right now." Nevertheless, my quest in practising the art of lucid dreaming continues...

Have you ever had a lucid dream? If so, what was it like? Post your experiences.
      It is awesome, but some tips and hints as I've had countless;

- You can't alter **** unless you are highly emotionally stable. It is as hard in a dream to change something as in real life unless you are utterly relaxed yet highly focused...but still dreaming.
      Also start small.
      Don't try to pull cities out of the ground as you'll probably just poo yourself or something :rofl: Instead start by making tiny ripples that grow into bigger ripples, then waves, then do what ever you want from that.

- Focus on an object, mainly the floor.
      As soon as you realise you are dreaming, your mind begins to wake up. You can stop this by focusing on an object and tricking your brain.

ReputationRep:
      A reality check has to be quite specific and as Fuzzpig said he never encountered any doors so that wasn't a useful reality check. This check requires only your body.

Also just touching anything won't make you aware that you're dreaming. In waking reality you can't pass your finger through your palm but you can disregard the natural forces in a dream and your fingers will pass through your palm and you'll become aware you're dreaming. Always works for me.
      Wow that's really weird. I gues we're all really different. Don't think forces - or lack of - have ever come into play in my dreams. On the contrary, I've given myself scratches, bruises and broken teeth. Oh except gravity, but flying is totally normal.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hrc)
      A lucid dream is a dream where one is aware that they are dreaming. The dreamer can usually control their surroundings when they in a lucid dream. There are lots of ways to initiate a lucid dream. I'd advise skimming over the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream) for more information.

I've been trying to lucid-dream for a while. I've had a few in the past but quickly woke up once I realised, "Wow, I'm actually in a dream right now." Nevertheless, my quest in practising the art of lucid dreaming continues...

Have you ever had a lucid dream? If so, what was it like? Post your experiences.
      If I realise that I'm dreaming I always wake up lol 😂 I'm not helping am I *slowly walks away*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lawstudent321)
      If I realise that I'm dreaming I always wake up lol 😂 I'm not helping am I *slowly walks away*

Posted from TSR Mobile
      That's quite common. I think you have to keep your mind fairly stable and control how many thoughts rush through your head. After all, it is new information input (sounds, light, pressure) that wake us, and usually we thought process it before we find ourselves awake. So, take it easy and go with the dream, just push boundaries for fun

Wow that's really weird. I gues we're all really different. Don't think forces - or lack of - have ever come into play in my dreams. On the contrary, I've given myself scratches, bruises and broken teeth. Oh except gravity, but flying is totally normal.
        What do you use as a reality check then?

By lack of forces I meant that the actual reality check is suppose help you deduce whether you're dreaming or in real life. I often do the reality check even when I know I am awake just to make sure I'm not dreaming.

ReputationRep:
        What do you use as a reality check then?

By lack of forces I meant that the actual reality check is suppose help you deduce whether you're dreaming or in real life. I often do the reality check even when I know I am awake just to make sure I'm not dreaming.
        Intesresting, as I always know if I'm not dreaming.

I don't do reality checks, I just notice things that are off or question things that are a tad unusual. I've put quite a few examples in my posts.

Yeah I get what you mean by them now, but I've never been able to put my hand through an object or anything. Yet I have bruised myself from throwing a punch (obviously actually hit something). I guess we're all affected quite differently!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jimbo1234)
        It is awesome, but some tips and hints as I've had countless;

- You can't alter **** unless you are highly emotionally stable. It is as hard in a dream to change something as in real life unless you are utterly relaxed yet highly focused...but still dreaming.
        Also start small.
        Don't try to pull cities out of the ground as you'll probably just poo yourself or something :rofl: Instead start by making tiny ripples that grow into bigger ripples, then waves, then do what ever you want from that.

- Focus on an object, mainly the floor.
        As soon as you realise you are dreaming, your mind begins to wake up. You can stop this by focusing on an object and tricking your brain.
        When I researched lucid dreaming a lot I also read in a lot of places that to prolong the dream, spin on the spot. When I eventually had a lucid dream and felt like I was in danger of waking up I started spinning on the spot and it worked! It actually properly feels like you're spinning as well. So strange!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by warfarin)
        no, this is not the case for most people. In fact it takes lots of training to achieve a lucid state for the majority, and even then it comes and goes on its own accord (could be days or years between lucid episodes.) I believe I've read of people who always have lucid dreams regularly, but there are very few such individuals, as far as I remember.
        OH OK, well it really isn't hard, just go to sleep and just have a lucid dream...but then again I guess I would just say that.

But seriously why do you find it hard and why do you want it so much? It isn't anything special you know...well apart from being able to fly on one's own accord, that's pretty good to be able to do.

Intesresting, as I always know if I'm not dreaming.

I don't do reality checks, I just notice things that are off or question things that are a tad unusual. I've put quite a few examples in my posts.

Yeah I get what you mean by them now, but I've never been able to put my hand through an object or anything. Yet I have bruised myself from throwing a punch (obviously actually hit something). I guess we're all affected quite differently!
          Interesting.

Personally, the line between dreaming and reality is a lot more blurred.

ReputationRep:
          Interesting.

Oh I totally agree, which is probably why it's so hard, and maybe even why it also gets easier.

But if you look at my examples you'll see how obvious, yet familiar, those observations were.

ReputationRep:
          Love lucid dreaming!

ReputationRep:
          Interesting.

Yeah, I think it depends on the individual, my lucid dreams are very obvious, all my senses are much more powerful so it's easy to know what's what. It must be very strange having to do reality checks!

(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
            Yeah, I think it depends on the individual, my lucid dreams are very obvious, all my senses are much more powerful so it's easy to know what's what. It must be very strange having to do reality checks!
            Mine are very real; no flying or anything cool like that. On one occasion, I've had 5/6 nights of consecutive lucid dreaming on very little sleep (3/4 hours a night) during a stressful time with deadlines.

That is when I was really struggling to determine whether I was awake or dreaming.

ReputationRep:
            I went through a period a few months ago of reading up on it every night for a good few weeks, I found the whole idea of lucid dreaming to be incredible- like a real life matrix..

I tried everything, i listened to binaural beats, had naps in the morning, did frequent reality checks, went to bed repeating phrases or images, and i only achieved lucidity once, and for only like three seconds. I was at school, and literally just asked my friend if i was dreaming and he said yes. I got so excited and happy so quickly, that i instantly woke up..

I've never achieved it since, which is annoying cos looking back I seemed to have gotten pretty close..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources
          AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.