Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

have you ever used Nightline? Watch

What did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    Never used it, but if its anything like Samaritans, frankly don't bother. Give it a try.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    What did you think of it?
    It depends what you want from the service. Nightline / Samaritans are services for people who are in distress, who simply want to vent their problems at someone, or are looking for specific information e.g. phone numbers for a particular third-party service. For example, a student might ring Nightline because they are upset and stressed about their upcoming exams, and don't have any friends to talk to about it. They don't provide advice, which is a common misconception. When the listening volunteer is good, the service is good, when they are bad, the service is bad. More often than not, they are good, or the service would not be in existence.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i used it once...
    they don't offer advice.. they are just there to listen. so if you go with a problem and want a solution, its frustrating because they keep asking you how you feel. they say things like 'that must have been hard' etc...
    if you really need someone to talk to, they're better than nobody... but they don't say much useful. they aren't trained counsellors or anything.

but they are definitely better than no one if you are really down about something.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work for nightline. As said above, they can only offer empathy and an ear to vent or talk. They aren't allowed to give advice or guidance. They are 100% confidential (unless you threaten somebody, then they are allowed to break confidentiality to tell the police to protect that person).

Some find it helpful whilst other's don't. I had some calls that would last for hours, just because it is sometimes good to vent all of your feelings and frustration.

They provide contraception and 3rd party help too, such as pizza deliveries, doctors surgery numbers etc.

(Original post by Robz_3000)
    I used to work for nightline. As said above, they can only offer empathy and an ear to vent or talk. They aren't allowed to give advice or guidance. They are 100% confidential (unless you threaten somebody, then they are allowed to break confidentiality to tell the police to protect that person).

Some find it helpful whilst other's don't. I had some calls that would last for hours, just because it is sometimes good to vent all of your feelings and frustration.

They provide contraception and 3rd party help too, such as pizza deliveries, doctors surgery numbers etc.
    I'm thinning of volunteering. Would you recommend it? What sorts of calls are common and weirdest?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinning of volunteering. Would you recommend it? What sorts of calls are common and weirdest?
    Well worth it, such a rewarding experience! Its quite strict on confidentiality so can't get too detailed here unfortunately, but things such as homesickness, exam stress and relationships are common calls. Expect quiet times as well though, some nights you may not get a call.

Loved every minute of it.

bump

It depends what you want from the service. Nightline / Samaritans are services for people who are in distress, who simply want to vent their problems at someone, or are looking for specific information e.g. phone numbers for a particular third-party service. For example, a student might ring Nightline because they are upset and stressed about their upcoming exams, and don't have any friends to talk to about it. They don't provide advice, which is a common misconception. When the listening volunteer is good, the service is good, when they are bad, the service is bad. More often than not, they are good, or the service would not be in existence.
    ^ This, really. A good Nightline will offer a consistent, high quality service. A poor Nightline will be a bit rubbish at what they do and probably be a bit useless. (I can think of a couple of **** ones right away, haha.) HOWEVER, it is also fair to say that sometimes Nightline is just not the right service for an individual caller (eg. if they only want advice).

I'm a current Nightline volunteer, and I love it. It's the sort of thing where you get out what you put in, and more. If you are empathic and want to be there to provide emotional support to someone who may be in a bit of a **** situation then go for it! There is no true typical call and so you have to be prepared to listen to anything someone might want to discuss with you. Of course, the service is aimed at students and so usually calls are related to some aspect of student life. Can't really tell you about the weirdest ones without breaking confidentiality, sorry! :p:

^ This, really. A good Nightline will offer a consistent, high quality service. A poor Nightline will be a bit rubbish at what they do and probably be a bit useless. (I can think of a couple of **** ones right away, haha.) HOWEVER, it is also fair to say that sometimes Nightline is just not the right service for an individual caller (eg. if they only want advice).

I'm a current Nightline volunteer, and I love it. It's the sort of thing where you get out what you put in, and more. If you are empathic and want to be there to provide emotional support to someone who may be in a bit of a **** situation then go for it! There is no true typical call and so you have to be prepared to listen to anything someone might want to discuss with you. Of course, the service is aimed at students and so usually calls are related to some aspect of student life. Can't really tell you about the weirdest ones without breaking confidentiality, sorry! :p:
    oh ok. its good that its big on confidentiality! i think its a fantastic service and its helped me a lot.

Anyone else?

I used the samaritans; it's quite funny as you ring then your mind goes blank but they get you talking and then you feel better as you manage to get things off you chest. Was years ago when I was a depresive teen but if you think it''l help then use it that what its there for.

Then if you call and dont want to say anything you dont have to. win/win

ReputationRep:
    Interesting responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They weren't very helpful when I called, but then I wasn't making a typical call. I cut my leg really badly at about midnight trying to shave, had no plasters e.c.t and nothing would stop the bleeding so phoned in the hope someone might be able to go and bring me one (or a bandage really given the size of the cut) so I could go to sleep without soaking my bedsheet through as they were the only people whose numbers I had who were open at that time and my flatmates were asleep. Needless to say though the girl on the other end of the phone didn't seem too bright - eventually she gave me the number of the campus security team but that wasn't what I wanted really as I couldn't really go anywhere. In the end just had to sit for an hour to wait for the bleeding to stop.

ReputationRep:
    I can do the same **** they do but I'll get you out of the hole you're in whereas they won't.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at whoever repped me? How difficult is it to get someone a plaster.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a disaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jelly1000)
    They weren't very helpful when I called, but then I wasn't making a typical call. I cut my leg really badly at about midnight trying to shave, had no plasters e.c.t and nothing would stop the bleeding so phoned in the hope someone might be able to go and bring me one (or a bandage really given the size of the cut) so I could go to sleep without soaking my bedsheet through as they were the only people whose numbers I had who were open at that time and my flatmates were asleep. Needless to say though the girl on the other end of the phone didn't seem too bright - eventually she gave me the number of the campus security team but that wasn't what I wanted really as I couldn't really go anywhere. In the end just had to sit for an hour to wait for the bleeding to stop.
    That's really not what Nightline is for. Unfortunately, a volunteer on shift will be unable to leave the phones to fetch something for a caller - a) they have to be there should the phone ring again, and b) it's just so not what the service offers. Nightline is there to listen to what is on someone's mind, not there to substitute a first aid team (who could be called by Security).

I'm a Nightline volunteer. I volunteered because I had used Nightline before, although it was only for a taxi number. However, without Nightline I'd have been stuck in my new uni city all alone with no way of getting back to my flat, so it was a lifesaving service.
    But yeah, we don't give advice, and that's sometimes as frustrating for us as it is for you!

(Original post by jelly1000)
    LOL at whoever repped me? How difficult is it to get someone a plaster.
    Pretty difficult when I'm an anonymous volunteer who can't leave the office.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.