Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie.loney)
    Just a quick question. In flow chart style questions when should you begin a new row in the table. ?
    Would really like to know the answer to this^

When you're following an algorithm with steps, I generally start a new row for each new step, but sometimes they do it differently in the book.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question. In flow chart style questions when should you begin a new row in the table. ?
    In a Gantt Chart, you first do the critical activities in a single bar from time 0 to critical time. (If there are more critical activities which doesn't fit in a single row which means there are more than one critical paths, just put it under the first raw.)

Then alphabetically move to a new row below for each activity. All the individual bars should be under the critical activity bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thephysicsguy)
    In a Gantt Chart, you first do the critical activities in a single bar from time 0 to critical time. (If there are more critical activities which doesn't fit in a single row which means there are more than one critical paths, just put it under the first raw.)

Then alphabetically move to a new row below for each activity. All the individual bars should be under the critical activity bar.
    I'm pretty sure they are talking about something like this:

Name:  flowchart.PNG
Views: 145
Size:  26.6 KB

P.s. I also want to know the answer to this question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kishan91)

Yep, can anyone clarify? Is there a formal way of doing it? I've seen it done so many different ways in the text book...

ReputationRep:

Ooh okay I see now, when you said chart i directly thought of critical path analysis sorry

This one I remember from Jan 10 paper.
    In general there is not a formal way to do flow charts.
    For answer, check the mark scheme, the thing with the marks scheme is that there are empty places after the first yes-no question.
    TBH i didn't really get that one either...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I came on here to ask the exact same question...seems nobody knows....

ReputationRep:
    When using Dijkstra's algorithm, would you replace the working values with higher numbers? I was told not to but it seems they do it in the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question When drawing an activity network, is the start event number a 0 or a 1 as in the textbook they always start at event number 0, but in the January 2009 paper mark scheme they started at 1.

Name:  activity network.PNG
Views: 157
Size:  19.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLLF)
    When using Dijkstra's algorithm, would you replace the working values with higher numbers? I was told not to but it seems they do it in the mark scheme.
    No you only write down smaller numbers. In the mark scheme they put larger numbers in brackets, which isn't compulsory in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    No you only write down smaller numbers. In the mark scheme they put larger numbers in brackets, which isn't compulsory in the exam.
    hi one question in dijkastras if we get 2 numbers which are the same in the 2 boxes do we order them with the same number

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    hi one question in dijkastras if we get 2 numbers which are the same in the 2 boxes do we order them with the same number
    If you have your Edexcel D1 textbook look at the diagram on page 55 - answers the question.

No you don't order them with the same number, i.e. if vertex A and B have 8 in the box, do the stuff at A and label it 2 and then do the stuff at B and label it 3

ReputationRep:
    If you have your Edexcel D1 textbook look at the diagram on page 55 - answers the question.

No you don't order them with the same number, i.e. if vertex A and B have 8 in the box, do the stuff at A and label it 2 and then do the stuff at B and label it 3
    I don't have the text book, so what's the answer? :P

My teacher told me its down to personal preference and doesn't make a difference. But if Edexcel use 1 as the start I suppose it's safe to use that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanojyoxx)
    I don't have the text book, so what's the answer? :P

My teacher told me its down to personal preference and doesn't make a difference. But if Edexcel use 1 as the start I suppose it's safe to use that.
    I'll probably just start it with a 1 then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed something with the January 2011 D1 paper.

For question 4: It asks to find an improved matching, so I found an improved matching from D (left side) to 1 (right side). I then found a complete matching from this.

However, in the mark-scheme the only alternative answers listed are from J to an unmatched node in the other set.
    It says: 1M1: Path from J to 1 or 4 (or vice versa).

But, my final answers for the complete matching are the same as in the mark scheme .

Paper Q4: http://tinyurl.com/aseknz2
    Mark scheme: http://tinyurl.com/bcysz3a

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed something with the January 2011 D1 paper.

For question 4: It asks to find an improved matching, so I found an improved matching from D (left side) to 1 (right side). I then found a complete matching from this.

However, in the mark-scheme the only alternative answers listed are from J to an unmatched node in the other set.
    It says: 1M1: Path from J to 1 or 4 (or vice versa).

But, my final answers for the complete matching are the same as in the mark scheme .

Paper Q4: http://tinyurl.com/aseknz2
    Mark scheme: http://tinyurl.com/bcysz3a
    I remember doing this question and I couldn't find an alternating path from D...what was yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    I remember doing this question and I couldn't find an alternating path from D...what was yours?
    Improved matching:

D-2 = A - 5 = M - 1 Breakthrough has occurred
    Change status: D=2-A=5-M=1

A = 5
    B = 3
    D = 2
    J = unmatched
    K = 6
    M = 1

Complete matching:

J -3=B-1=M-5=A-6=K-4 Breakthrough has occurred
    Change status: J=3-B=1-M=5-A=6-K=4

A = 6
    B = 1
    D = 2
    J = 3
    K = 4
    M = 5

ReputationRep:
    Improved matching:

D-2 = A - 5 = M - 1 Breakthrough has occurred
    Change status: D=2-A=5-M=1

A = 5
    B = 3
    D = 2
    J = unmatched
    K = 6
    M = 1

Complete matching:

J -3=B-1=M-5=A-6=K-4 Breakthrough has occurred
    Change status: J=3-B=1-M=5-A=6-K=4

A = 6
    B = 1
    D = 2
    J = 3
    K = 4
    M = 5
    How can M go to 1??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    How can M go to 1??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my gawd...I thought it joined to 1 instead of 2...I'm a fool

Thanks a lot for pointing that out

I hope I don't make a stupid mistake like this in the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gawd...I thought it joined to 1 instead of 2...I'm a fool

Thanks a lot for pointing that out

I hope I don't make a stupid mistake like this in the actual exam.
    Yeah, I'm pretty worried about that as well. I'll just have to be extra-pedantic and trace all the lines to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I was wondering if you could clear one other thing up.

When using kruskals and you have to select arcs, what happens if they're both the same weight? Do you show them both in the same bracket to show they're considered at the same time?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.