Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the story about the vena cava and deoxygenated blood, pulmonary artery, aorta, ventricles etc? It says it in my textbook but it's really complicating things so can someone please summarise it, although not too simply so I'd still get the marks in an exam? Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    What's the story about the vena cava and deoxygenated blood, pulmonary artery, aorta, ventricles etc? It says it in my textbook but it's really complicating things so can someone please summarise it, although not too simply so I'd still get the marks in an exam? Thanks
    The vena cava carries deoxygenated blood back to the right side of heart, which pumps the blood through the pulmonary arteries into the lungs, where the blood is oxygenated. The oxygenated blood then flows back into the left side of the heart via the pulmonary veins, where it is then pumped through the aorta and carries oxygenated blood to the rest of the body.

ReputationRep:

Here is a visual of it to go with the explanation above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    The vena cava carries deoxygenated blood back to the right side of heart, which pumps the blood through the pulmonary arteries into the lungs, where the blood is oxygenated. The oxygenated blood then flows back into the left side of the heart via the pulmonary veins, where it is then pumped through the aorta and carries oxygenated blood to the rest of the body.
    oh right so to summarise it goes vena cava -> pulmonary arteries -> pulmonary veins -> aorta

Thank you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    oh right so to summarise it goes vena cava -> pulmonary arteries -> pulmonary veins -> aorta

Thank you
    Yes, thats right. :yep:

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    vena cava -> right atrium -> right ventricle -> pulmonary arteries -> lungs (where the blood is oxygenated) -> pulmonary veins -> left atrium -> left ventricle -> aorta -> systemic arteries -> other body tissues (where the oxygen is used up so the blood becomes deoxygenated) -> systemic veins -> vena cava

This cycle then repeats.

The vena cava is just a large systemic vein and the aorta is just a large systemic artery.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a tip - A is for away
    Arteries, aorta etc, carry blood AWAY from the heart. I think the exception is the Hepatic Portal Vein, which you could look up.

Another tip - RAT LAB
    Right Atrioventricular Tricuspid valves
    Left Atrioventricular Bicuspid valves

Don't get them mixed up!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun_Bear)

Here is a visual of it to go with the explanation above.
    Thanks for the diagram, memorising that has made all the muddled up parts in the cycle in my head fall into place, hopefully, I'll remember this diagram in the exam now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.