Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fatties gotta learn.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. I remember what I was thinking when I first read this. How would they classify someone as obese? Would they go by BMI? Because if they do, then it's a flawed system from the very start

Unless they require a visual check from your doctor, or a body fat test instead?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If they do this for obese people, they need to do it for other illnesses, such as eating disorders, smoking related illnesses and alcoholism.

I'm sorry; but you can't just pick and choose which people you're going to give benefits to based on illness. They're better off doing cookery classes (cooking on a budget, making use of left over food, etc) and reducing the cost of healthy foods.

BMI is an awful way to decide this too. I am overweight according to that. But I am not fat. I am a size 10/12 - hardly fat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)

BMI is an awful way to decide this too. I am overweight according to that. But I am not fat. I am a size 10/12 - hardly fat...
    This. Like I said above, if they use BMI, it's flawed from the very start. Thankfully, for me(Just under average weight for a male, but still a lil fat ), the BMI works, but for people like you, it doesn't
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    This. Like I said above, if they use BMI, it's flawed from the very start. Thankfully, for me(Just under average weight for a male, but still a lil fat ), the BMI works, but for people like you, it doesn't
    I think it only really works for people who are either really obese or those who are really underweight. It should be only used as a guide. I wonder if there's a more accurate way of working out if someone is obese?

People who do sports (like myself) are classed as overweight due to the amount of muscle we generally have.

ReputationRep:
    I think it only really works for people who are either really obese or those who are really underweight. It should be only used as a guide. I wonder if there's a more accurate way of working out if someone is obese?
    Or if you're "average" Im average height, just under average weight. 5 foot 8. 65Kg. Average is 5 foot 8, 70kg I think.

You can use body fat, which isn't great, but it is far far better than BMI

People who do sports (like myself) are classed as overweight due to the amount of muscle we generally have.
    Exactly this

ReputationRep:
    Fat asses.

They need to hurry up and get a heart attack.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.