Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stretch Marks & Losing Weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For my new years resolution, I want to lose weight and also get rid of stretch marks.

Got a few questions...
    1. What are stretch marks and how can I remove them?
    2. I haven't had fizzy drinks since the new year, but I have had non-fizzy drinks such as 5Alive and Rubicon. Is that a good thing?
    3. I'm going to get a gym membership. The gym is quite far so I will have to commute. How often should I go to the gym, if I do join?

ReputationRep:
    1) Stretch marks are caused by rapid gaining or losing weight. They cannot usually be removed, but they lighten over time and turn white which are hardly noticeable. Some people find that moisturising helps, or using cocoa butter or bio oil on them- although time is the best healer, and the best way to avoid them is simply to lose weight slowly.

2) It is good that you haven't had fizzy drinks, but if you've replaced them with something equally as unhealthy then obviously that isn't good. Try replacing some with water, even if it's only replacing one drink a day for now.

3) If you have to commute to the gym then you may find that your motivation wanes after the first few visits. Why not try exercises that you can do at home such as running, cycling and occasionally swimming if you have a local pool? Unless you're planning on lifting weights (if you are then go to the gym) then you can get most cardio exercises at home for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Hi,

For my new years resolution, I want to lose weight and also get rid of stretch marks.

Got a few questions...
    1. What are stretch marks and how can I remove them?
    2. I haven't had fizzy drinks since the new year, but I have had non-fizzy drinks such as 5Alive and Rubicon. Is that a good thing?
    3. I'm going to get a gym membership. The gym is quite far so I will have to commute. How often should I go to the gym, if I do join?
    The sticky thread has all the information you require.

For clarity:
    Stretch marks - Tearing in the dermis of your skin. Proper weight loss should see a reduction in these. I think there are treatments but I haven't read into them so cant suggest any!
    Drinks - Only drink water.
    Gym - What exercise do you want to do? Cardio? Weights? IF you just want to go for cardio I'd save yourself a few hundred quid and get yourself some decent running shoes and clothes and get started on Couch to 5k. For resistance training it'll depend on what you want from your routine. There are hundreds of excellent threads here with endless information. I highly recommend browsing through the fitness blogs on here because more often than not you'll find someone who started with the same credentials as yourself.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    1) I got stretch marks after starting working out, I dunno if they're usually any different to those from weight loss, they were kinda pink to begin with but I've never treated them or anything and now they're basically invisible.

I think 99% of the treatments for stretch marks are probably bull****, people just like to believe they're doing something and are willing to waste a load of money in the process.

You shouldn't let the possibility of getting some put you off becoming more healthy.

2) Fizzyy drinks suck. I dunno why people make out that it's so hard not to drink them. Rubicon and 5Alive sound like pseudo-healthy fruit drinks. Just drink decent things like real fruit juice, milk, coffee (sans obscene amounts of sugar because that's gross and cavities suck) and above all water.

Like I said I don't know much about stretch marks at all but I'm going to imagine that remaining properly hydrated helps to minimize them (as it helps keep skin healthy generally) and water is the best way to do this. That and when you're really thirsty water is just the best.

3) Kinda impossible to answer with what you've said but you could stand to go 3 times a week and do a decent weights programme. No point going to a gym just to use their treadmills when there's the entire world to run in.

If you really want to avoid things like stretch marks you need to accept that this all takes time, and you need to stay committed and avoid stupid ****ing women's magazine fad diets and ****. Eat healthily, life weights, do a bunch of cardio if you want, but stick to it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.