Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I really need some help as I cant decide which uni to go to for Computer Science. I applied for Brunnel, Reading, Kings College, Surrey and Royal Holloway and have now received offers from all.

At the moment I'm thinking to go for Surrey, but I know that Kings College and Royal Holloway are also great unis.

I've looked at several league tables to see which is the best, but each of the tables vary.

Where do you think would be best? How do you decide which uni to go for?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to KCL, went to the RHUL open day and know the course and the environment at Surrey because I've spent a lot of time at the uni. I think it comes down to what you like most about computer science. Surrey if I remember correctly don't require A2 maths, so if you're really into the maths part then KCL might be a better choice. Royal Holloway didn't impress me much at the open day, the department didn't seem very welcoming or even interesting.

If you can't decide, I'd say visit them all. You can make up your mind and be a lot more informed about the kind of environment you'll be in, because being in London is really different to being in Guildford or Egham.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, i'm a first year computer science student at surrey, so i'll give my view, although clearly biast.

Out of the universities you have applied to, I also applied to reading. Went there for an open day too. Seemed alright but speaking to some graduates i know of the course they didn't rave about it, although it would be a possible insurance as it offers placement.

I don't know much about brunel, but it seems the weakest of the 5.

The real choice is between surrey and kings, and it really depends what you want. The biggest difference would be the life you would have at uni. My girlfriend goes to kings and she has to walk half an hour across london to get to lectures, in a packed city. I can pop up the path and be in my lecture theatre in 5 minutes on surreys campus. Surrey has a beautiful friendly campus, but guildford is a fairly quiet, sometimes boring town. Kings is in the centre of one of the busiest cities in the world, with loads of stuff to do, so it depends what you want.

Kings is a good uni, probably more prestigious than surrey, but not renound for it's computer science. If I were given the choice to go to kings or be on my course, i would definitely choose mine. And just looking at the unistats thing, only 61% said the course was interesting at kings.

I have only been here since september, so i'll comment on the modules i have had so far. You take 4 modules in your first semester. Firstly the programming module, which is taught fantastically, with handsets and a great enthusiastic lecture. Really good. Even if you have never programmed before, you will learn a lot from it. Then there's the foundations of computing, which is like maths basically, fairly hard but if you have done A level maths you'll be fine. Then theres professional studies which is basically about laws, business, security, information technology, that side of computing. And then there's computer logic for the computer science students only, covers assembly, latches, logic, architecture, which is hard as hell, tedious and a complete nightmare! but i guess everyone has that one module they hate. The students doing computing and information technology bsc take an accounting module instead, which is much easier and they do a lot better on.

I wouldn't put too much on league tables, in reality, it's about what you do at uni, what grade you get and your experience that counts. The difference between surrey and kings isn't huge.

I chose surrey because of the placement, feel of the campus, league tables and student satisfaction. Overall it's been a really good experience and I would reccommend it and compsci here any day.

If you get a 2.1 from here, with a placement year under your belt, you can do anything you want. If you want any other info, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    First just want to say thanks to both of you for responding. Since posting this message I've decided that it's definitely between Surrey and Kings. I did a comparison of the courses on Unistats and found it quite interesting. Something quite important that I've noticed is the fact that the course at Surrey is 65% coursework whereas at Kings it's just 19%. Now for me to go from a coursework based course to lots of exams, I'm not too sure how I would find it. But then again Kings College is in the Russel Group, which some would say means its a better University. Also the course at Kings has Accreditation, whereas the one at Surrey doesnt.

I'm currently doing a BTECH in Computing, and have a GCSE Grade B in Maths.

(Original post by Damask-)
    I applied to KCL, went to the RHUL open day and know the course and the environment at Surrey because I've spent a lot of time at the uni. I think it comes down to what you like most about computer science. Surrey if I remember correctly don't require A2 maths, so if you're really into the maths part then KCL might be a better choice. Royal Holloway didn't impress me much at the open day, the department didn't seem very welcoming or even interesting.......
    Damask are you saying that you think the course at KCL is more heavy on the Maths? Also, where did you go to in the end? Yeah I've been to Surrey twice now, once for a open day and another time for a UCAS day. I'll be visiting Kings for the first time in March so will see what I think of it then. I guess only when I've actually been to Kings, things will be clearer.

(Original post by Just Josh)
    Hey there, i'm a first year computer science student at surrey, so i'll give my view, although clearly biast.

The real choice is between surrey and kings, and it really depends what you want. The biggest difference would be the life you would have at uni. My girlfriend goes to kings and she has to walk half an hour across london to get to lectures, in a packed city. I can pop up the path and be in my lecture theatre in 5 minutes on surreys campus. Surrey has a beautiful friendly campus, but guildford is a fairly quiet, sometimes boring town. Kings is in the centre of one of the busiest cities in the world, with loads of stuff to do, so it depends what you want.....
    Josh many thanks for your lengthy response. At the moment I am gearing towards Surrey anyway. Yeah you're right about the grade and experience hmm. I've applied to do the course with a year in industry anyway. It sounds like you've done some good modules then, and it's good that the lecturers are enthusiastic. I suppose I also need to weigh up what's important. I've never really been a big clubber/partier so living in a quiet location wouldn't be too bad. The most important thing for me is the course.

1 question for you Josh. Accommodation. What type are you in? The main thing that concerns me is having to live with too many people, lol. What sort of options were on the application form for accommodation? Did you get the type that you wanted?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Educate95)
    Damask are you saying that you think the course at KCL is more heavy on the Maths? Also, where did you go to in the end? Yeah I've been to Surrey twice now, once for a open day and another time for a UCAS day. I'll be visiting Kings for the first time in March so will see what I think of it then. I guess only when I've actually been to Kings, things will be clearer.
    I'm not certain, but I think it's that way. I'm a 2013 applicant so I haven't gone anywhere yet, but I'm about 99% sure I'm going to firm Bath.

ReputationRep:
    Surrey all the way.. i also applied for computer science in 2013 with a placement year see you there if you choose Surrey in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Educate95)
    First just want to say thanks to both of you for responding. Since posting this message I've decided that it's definitely between Surrey and Kings. I did a comparison of the courses on Unistats and found it quite interesting. Something quite important that I've noticed is the fact that the course at Surrey is 65% coursework whereas at Kings it's just 19%. Now for me to go from a coursework based course to lots of exams, I'm not too sure how I would find it. But then again Kings College is in the Russel Group, which some would say means its a better University. Also the course at Kings has Accreditation, whereas the one at Surrey doesnt.

I'm currently doing a BTECH in Computing, and have a GCSE Grade B in Maths.

Josh many thanks for your lengthy response. At the moment I am gearing towards Surrey anyway. Yeah you're right about the grade and experience hmm. I've applied to do the course with a year in industry anyway. It sounds like you've done some good modules then, and it's good that the lecturers are enthusiastic. I suppose I also need to weigh up what's important. I've never really been a big clubber/partier so living in a quiet location wouldn't be too bad. The most important thing for me is the course.

1 question for you Josh. Accommodation. What type are you in? The main thing that concerns me is having to live with too many people, lol. What sort of options were on the application form for accommodation? Did you get the type that you wanted?

Thanks.
    Accommodation is really good. I'm in stag hill court, which is a set of mini houses, each with 10 people in. I pay 95 pounds a week, which is fairly cheap. My room isn't ensuite but i share a bathroom with just one other guy, and it's just outside my room so pretty much is. You apply for preferences of price band, A-E, cheapest to expensive, and you get allocated accomodation based on your preferences of price band. Most accomodation, including mine, is band C.

If you haven't done A level maths, I would strongly consider the Computing and Information Technology bsc instead. It's the better course content in my opinion and if i had my time again, I would chose it. The people who came in with BTECS are mostly on it. And you get to do financial accounting instead of logic, which is a bonus. It's worth looking into anyway. The only problem is that it may not be as attractive to employers, but with a year in industry and a good grade it won't be a biggie. It would be my choice if i could chose over

ReputationRep:
    Also, you said that the course at surrey isn't accredited but it is.

It has full BCS accreditation for Chartered IT Professional, which is what most CS courses have alone, as well as Partial BCS accreditation for Chartered Engineer, and Partial BCS accreditation for Chartered Scientist. A lot more than most courses

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for late bump. But are you guys sure Surrey's degree isn't accredited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahnik)
    Sorry for late bump. But are you guys sure Surrey's degree isn't accredited?
    I don't know where this rumour is coming from. I assure you the Surrey course is fully accredited by the BCS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.