Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I will be in halls and starting university this year. I'm quite into listening to music on a decent hi-fi system and was wondering if I'm allowed a reasonable sized pair of speakers and amplifier.

I don't necessarily play loudly and wouldn't want to disrupt anyone with the volume.

I might be mad but could I get away with floorstanding speakers with the dimensions: 825mm (H) x 200mm (W) x 275mm (D) ?

Or if not would I be able to have a pair of bookshelf speakers measuring: 18.8 cm by 30.5 cm by 18.3 cm ?

I'm not sure if either are particularly practical but a decent system is something I wouldn't want to miss out on in uni if poss. Would either be practical or allowed?

I've looked at the halls brochure for my preferred university and it says larger speakers are on an item list of what not to bring. They may be talking about P/A systems or huge things, I'm not sure.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjsut)
    Hopefully I will be in halls and starting university this year. I'm quite into listening to music on a decent hi-fi system and was wondering if I'm allowed a reasonable sized pair of speakers and amplifier.

I don't necessarily play loudly and wouldn't want to disrupt anyone with the volume.

I might be mad but could I get away with floorstanding speakers with the dimensions: 825mm (H) x 200mm (W) x 275mm (D) ?

Or if not would I be able to have a pair of bookshelf speakers measuring: 18.8 cm by 30.5 cm by 18.3 cm ?

I'm not sure if either are particularly practical but a decent system is something I wouldn't want to miss out on in uni if poss. Would either be practical or allowed?

I've looked at the halls brochure for my preferred university and it says larger speakers are on an item list of what not to bring. They may be talking about P/A systems or huge things, I'm not sure.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
    Floorstanders may be pushing it slightly, if only for their size in typically small uni accommodation, but as for a powerful system it's shouldn't be a major issue. The iPod dock I had in halls had more power output than the bookshelf monitors I use now, and I ran that through an amp most of the time too. You'll find most people go into halls expecting a noisy environment unless they've specifically asked for quiet accommodation so I often had my speakers at a volume where I couldn't tell if people were banging on my door or if it was just the subwoofer making stuff rattle. The only times I got complaints were on the rare occasion that I'd gone a bit too mental with them and they could hear my music in the block on the other side of the car park.

I think it's more a case of etiquette at most unis rather than them being disallowed- if you're going to play them really loud, just don't do it at night, during exam periods or for twelve hours at a time.

If you're really worried, a high quality headphone/amplifier set up obviously won't cause the same levels of disturbance even if you nuke the drivers volume-wise and will arguably deliver better fidelity for the money than equivalent speakers.

ReputationRep:
    We have exceptionally loud speaker, along with what it seems everyone else, so I wouldn't be too fussed if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't especially talking about volume being the issue. I just enjoy "good sound quality" which is why I fancied this particular pair of floorstanders. I just wondered whether they were concerned about the size or they had restrictions on how big speakers can be?

I know the rooms aren't that big, it's going to be a bit of a squeeze!

ReputationRep:
    space wise it's going to depend a lot on the room. What's possible in one set of accommodation might not work in another (even within the same uni).

If you've got the space when you go there it might be worth taking a couple of options then you can see what will work when you're there (and send the rest home). Alternatively arrange a visit home after a couple of weeks to collect the speakers if they're suitable.

ReputationRep:
    id make sure you have floor space before taking floor standers ...last year i took some small bookshelf and this year i have a larger set on stands and a sub, as i am in a bigger room . i wouldnt be bothered about noise until you get a complaint , im presuming with the dimensions being fairly specific you already have the speakers/some in mind, what are they ? id just take the best ones..... also what amp ?

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a pair of Linn Keilidhs which I really enjoyed, so this was my preferred choice. They're quite compact for floorstanders and I was planning to get a cheap old Rotel amp, maybe an RA-840BX4 or a Marantz one. It's a shame I can't take my current system really. I think I'll have to see the room size first before this.

ReputationRep:
    nice speakers , i nearly got a set of those , make sure your covered insurance wise .

i use linn amplification on my main system at home , the wakonda and av5105 , thats two lk240's in one box... the speakers are sealed i think so you should be fine with them placed fairly close to the rear wall. as you said it just depends on if there will be somewhere to set them up where you can listen to them properly / if the room is big enough.

if they sound like other linn gear i cant imagine them to be too fussy about amplification . i think it was these speakers that had various tweeters in , some harsher than others , either way i don't think that a rotel amp would be to provocative whatever tweeter they have . i had a rotel ra820 for a while, it sounds quite nice, has a good headphone section too. the 840 will have more power had a quick look and it was 40wpc , but these have a fair amount of headroom available before clipping.

would you be looking to build the system up over time or buy an amp and keep it ?

its not a conventional hi fi amp but here at uni i have three old type citronic ppx300 power amps (no fan) , actively bi amping my kef speakers and the other drives a kef psw2000sub (taken the amp out of it as it went bang). they sound good and can be had cheap , you just have to be careful not to buy a dud as they are pretty old now.

also if your like me and like it loud every so often i don't think the rotel will cut quite cut it , not at all bad amps though .

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a pair of Keltiks in my home system which are fantastic with a Linn AV5103 and 4 LK100's. I'll miss them but yes I had the Keilidhs near the back wall and upgraded to the later smoother tweeters. I wasn't going to play them to ridiculous levels so I don't need an amp which is too heavy duty. Since I have a good system at home I'd rather spend my money on that than upgrading a uni system, Linn systems get to a value where I wouldn't risk taking it in case it got damaged.

Funnily enough I had an 820ax as my first amp when I was 14, very good for the money but Keilidhs need something a little more powerful. The 840 is about 80 watts into 4 ohms rather than 8 ohms.

ReputationRep:
    well , you seem to like your linn .. just curious are you active or passive quad amping , apparently with active cards they have a 20hz to 20khz response ! ...with regards to two systems that's what iv done , iv left my main system intact at home, i did have my cd player last year but now iv got a dac / old marantz cdp. i decided to spend a little on the 2nd system as i would spend so long using it.

after deciding if the room is suitable, it depends what you want to spend. if i were you id be looking for a cheap pre/power combo ,perhaps a lower end rotel or nad pre , iv seen a few pre's go cheap recently on ebay.
    unusually ? for a hi-fi'er my first port of call for a power amp would be an old hh ,citronic , or crown dc, (convection cooled) . i know these are from the pro world but that's not to mean they don't sound hi-fi, it does usually (maby not always) mean that they are comparably cheaper . you probably wont like the idea of using a pro amp but at the end of the day they are designed to do the same thing, amplify without changing the output form the input, only domestic and pro amps have some slightly different considerations. they are just an alternative that you may not have thought about.

... it seemed your question was about taking a system to uni and i ended up mini ranting about amps. :rolleyes: .... in halls you will more than likely end up having some kind of drunken get together with newly acquired friends , theirs nothing that's going to get your speakers more than a tiiny amp clipping away or overheating and blowing an output device and then dumping the dc rail onto your speakers (domestic gear often lacks proper loudspeaker protection)... anyway , you seem to have a fair collection of kit so im sure you will make a good choice . there is plenty out there .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.