Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I got another rejection yesterday, from my first choice of uni (not good )

The reason again was to do with my healthcare experience which is perfectly valid, as I don't have a great deal.

However, I have applied for endless amounts of care assistant, healthcare assistant and support worker roles to be turned down. I have also applied for volunteering through St Johns, Mind and NHS, but none of these have gotten back to me either.

Rant over (I promise I'm trying to stay positive )
    Has anyone got any ideas on how to gain such experience? My next interview so far is in late March, so even gaining a bit by then would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan1209)
    So I got another rejection yesterday, from my first choice of uni (not good )

The reason again was to do with my healthcare experience which is perfectly valid, as I don't have a great deal.

However, I have applied for endless amounts of care assistant, healthcare assistant and support worker roles to be turned down. I have also applied for volunteering through St Johns, Mind and NHS, but none of these have gotten back to me either.

Rant over (I promise I'm trying to stay positive )
    Has anyone got any ideas on how to gain such experience? My next interview so far is in late March, so even gaining a bit by then would be great!
    Hi There,

Have you asked your local hospital about work experience or volunteering? I was extremely lucky to get work experience on the children's ward of mine which has given me a lot to speak about in interviews.

Also maybe apply for jobs in healthcare settings which aren't actually caring jobs. I work in a Nursing Home doing hot drinks and little bits and pieces for the old people during hand over. Easy job to get but you can expand on the things you've learnt in interview - such as observational skills, recording concerns on a patient.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Emma x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy101)
    Hi There,

Have you asked your local hospital about work experience or volunteering? I was extremely lucky to get work experience on the children's ward of mine which has given me a lot to speak about in interviews.

Also maybe apply for jobs in healthcare settings which aren't actually caring jobs. I work in a Nursing Home doing hot drinks and little bits and pieces for the old people during hand over. Easy job to get but you can expand on the things you've learnt in interview - such as observational skills, recording concerns on a patient.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Emma x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey Emma!

Thankyou so much for the advice, I'll definitely contact my local hospitals and see what I can do, and also look for some jobs that maybe don't require care but in that environment

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! May not give a bit of help but we're on the same situation. Pretty daunting but I know we'll get some experience soon. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck let me know how you get on. Also any type of volunteering helps, especially with the age group you want to work with. ATM I am volunteering with children who have problems socially and helping integrate them into an activity. Website called Do It advertises lots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyclaire)
    Hello there! May not give a bit of help but we're on the same situation. Pretty daunting but I know we'll get some experience soon. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah definitely thankyou, you too!

Where have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy101)
    Good Luck let me know how you get on. Also any type of volunteering helps, especially with the age group you want to work with. ATM I am volunteering with children who have problems socially and helping integrate them into an activity. Website called Do It advertises lots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks will do, that sounds great actually, I'd love to work with children in a CAMHS setting or at least have a placement there to see how it goes so I'll definitely look into that! Emailed all the places I've applied to anyway to see if I can get anywhere! And I'll give that website a go too.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.