Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have to write an essay on Out Out by Robert Frost and Disabled by Wilfred Owen, and I am aiming for an A* but my teacher isn't great and therefore I don't really know much about the poems. I've written the main bulk of it, but apparently there are still quite a few problems. If you can offer any help with this, please do. Please do not hesitate to ask for more details if needed.

Thanks
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skridovaste)
    So I have to write an essay on Out Out by Robert Frost and Disabled by Wilfred Owen, and I am aiming for an A* but my teacher isn't great and therefore I don't really know much about the poems. I've written the main bulk of it, but apparently there are still quite a few problems. If you can offer any help with this, please do. Please do not hesitate to ask for more details if needed.

Thanks

More details please

What's the essays question? Can try and bombard you with information on the poems that way.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply. The question is about how despair is portrayed in those two poems.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't specific to those texts as I haven't done either -although I have done other Wilfrid Owen war poems so I'll try and remember some things from that... btw I got A* in my English lit gcse. This is my unofficial general formula, this is what kinda went through my head when writing essays.

1) PLAN.- Just do a subject header for each paragraph at what 'types' of desperation is shown. With comparison essays you want to look at pretty basic links between the texts then go further onto each text (or just one) individually in each paragraph. Do bullet points of the quotes you want to use and why

2) Make sure you include a point about emotions, imagery etc all the basics.

3) Don't be afraid to say something a little out of the box that could be completley wrong- but ask it as a question. This shows you have the capability to analyse texts, but doesn't make you sound wrong= BONUS POINTS. Oh yeh and only say it if you have evidence to back it up- that goes for anything.

4) Don't make the same point twice, even in slightly different ways.

5) Look on websites for analysations of both texts (dont rly want to find one comparing the two, look for individual analysations). Note down any important points, words or images that you could link.

Soz that wasnt really in the correct order, its just what I do. Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.