Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling really anxious about this all girl flat! watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in halls in an all girls flat and it is awful! I cannot stand 3/4 of the girls but I try my best to co-exist with them. They never included me in anything and never knock for me. Now the Christmas holidays are over, I am feeling highly anxious about going back to live with them. Awkwardness is always at 200% when I walk into a room or past them. They will be talking and then if I walk past utter silence. I don't know if I can handle this! What can I do since I cannot change halls!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you stand these 3 girls? Did you fall out at the start of the semester?
    Are you making the effort or do you expect them to do so most of the time?
    You can try spending more time with the other girl you get along with if all fails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsuperwoman)
    What can I do since I cannot change halls!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know this varies from uni to uni, but is there a possibility to move to another room within the same hall? When people drop out, this often produces empty rooms. I moved room after my first 3 weeks after I didn't get along with my flatmates there.

ReputationRep:
    If you want the awkwardness to go away (without changing halls) then you're going to have to make the effort with them, it may be unbearable at the beginning but it may pay off in the end!

If you really cannot stand them, then make new friends and start inviting them over to your flat or hang out with them more often and try to get by until summer holidays! Get close to your course friends as you're like to spend a lot of time with them in the next 2/3 years. My sister and all of my other friends who moved out ended up moving in with course friends as opposed to people in their flat in their first year.

ReputationRep:
    You should have sex with all of them.

ReputationRep:
    try and see if you can social with them more e.g. suggest going out one evening or maybe playing a game or something and just sitting and starting a convo.
    Or do what my friend has done and just goes to her friends from her course's houses or invite them over and hardly sees her flat mates aha

ReputationRep:
    Why is it awkward?

Did you never consider being proactive and suggesting things you could do together? Sitting and waiting for people to make your social life for you lead to lonliness, I can tell you that from experience. They might have wanted to get to know you, but thought that you prefer being left alone. It's not too late to get to know them.

ReputationRep:
    Having experienced exactly the same in first year I can completely understand. I ended up in an all girls flat (which I had specifically asked not for) as I just don't get on with all girls, and I hated the whole year. Luckily I lived close to my uni so ended up going home most weekends. People have said make an effort with them and it is worth a shot, but equally I can understand it is difficult as I tried with my flat and as a result the first time I went to a club with them they all walked off and left me in the first pub we went to and then decided that they weren't going to talk to me for the rest of the year no matter what effort I made and never did anything social with me, though they all spent a lot of time with different groups of friends. The only thing I can suggest is if you really don't get on with your flat try and make friends with other people in your halls, can be a bit difficult, or on your course or join a club or society and spend your time with those people instead.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.