Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by York2595)
    Me too, I was a bit worried about committing to something, then hating it, but that doesn't seem to be a problem at Durham . Haha I was worried by that too, I'm not sure how I'd cope going to Russia after just 2 years of learning Russian- although I guess you'll improve your Russian loads over the year abroad so it doesn't really matter too much if you're not so good at the beginning .
    Yeah exactly have you heard from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom181)
    Still waiting - applied for Chinese. Sigh...
    Me too!! C'mon Durham....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess there'll be a way but London is probably easiest, you can get trains to pretty much anywhere from London. I keep forgetting we'll have to bring luggage in it, it will make the tube a bit of a nightmare :L. I'm going to try very hard to be social haha, but everyone will be a bit nervous so it shouldn't be too bad . Well I'm sure those good stories will make for useful icebreakers in conversation! Yep, I'm not sure how much of a jump there is between school and university, so it would be useful to find that out... I think it said on some PDF thing about the open day that there'd be students at the station, but I can't remember where I saw it for certain.

Thanks! I think I'll go to the German and Russian talks, and maybe speak to the lecturers from other departments (if there's a chance to do that). It will be different, because at uni there'll be a bit of pressure because the Russian you learn will count for something, but I'm sure it'll still be fun
    I'm hoping to be able to pack a relatively small bag, otherwise I'm stuffed on the journey, but I always want my laptop with me, I love that thing. I'll just have to wrestle with not overpacking! My family only has bags in the size of "backpack" or "suitcase", really, though, so we'll have to see how that turns out. It's so close now! We should run into each other while we're there--what's your name, by the way? I don't think I've asked over all this time, ahaha.

Something I really want to find out is what clubs are available. I might even get sporty if I'm feeling adventurous, but it probably won't happen. Art would be lovely, maybe choir, I want to join the sorts of things I just didn't have time for at school. They only show a selection online--at least I hope so, it was a very small list--and I'm quite looking forward for them.

I'm aiming for French and Russian, but I haven't seen the PDF in a while, should really look what's actually going on! I'm excited, but nervous, and I've got bloody coursework due next Thursday... haven't done the first draft yet. (I'm sure it'll be fine, welp.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopih)
    Something I really want to find out is what clubs are available.
    http://www.teamdurham.com/

http://www.dsu.org.uk/content/730493/

Good for a browse.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    The only downside is that I now want to join half the societies. There are so many interesting/fun ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopih)
    The only downside is that I now want to join half the societies. There are so many interesting/fun ones.
    This is the drawback of having such an active student base. There's one society I've been intending to go to for three years, and still not managed. And of course some more that I've considered, but not got the time or priorities for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felbss_x)
    Me too!! C'mon Durham....
    Yaaaay! I'm not the only one left for Chinese!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    This is the drawback of having such an active student base. There's one society I've been intending to go to for three years, and still not managed. And of course some more that I've considered, but not got the time or priorities for.
    I'm going to have a make a list and throw a dart at it or something, or go to all of them in the first few weeks and see which ones are the most fun. I want to do art and music and a martial art and a film group and a magazine and--

help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopih)
    I'm going to have a make a list and throw a dart at it or something, or go to all of them in the first few weeks and see which ones are the most fun. I want to do art and music and a martial art and a film group and a magazine and--

help
    The second one is the right approach. Sign up for everything at the Freshers Fair, go to as many events as possible without paying membership, then see what you enjoy/manage to keep going to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    Yeah exactly have you heard from them yet?
    yeah I heard about a month ago . Have you heard from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopih)
    I'm hoping to be able to pack a relatively small bag, otherwise I'm stuffed on the journey, but I always want my laptop with me, I love that thing. I'll just have to wrestle with not overpacking! My family only has bags in the size of "backpack" or "suitcase", really, though, so we'll have to see how that turns out. It's so close now! We should run into each other while we're there--what's your name, by the way? I don't think I've asked over all this time, ahaha.

Something I really want to find out is what clubs are available. I might even get sporty if I'm feeling adventurous, but it probably won't happen. Art would be lovely, maybe choir, I want to join the sorts of things I just didn't have time for at school. They only show a selection online--at least I hope so, it was a very small list--and I'm quite looking forward for them.

I'm aiming for French and Russian, but I haven't seen the PDF in a while, should really look what's actually going on! I'm excited, but nervous, and I've got bloody coursework due next Thursday... haven't done the first draft yet. (I'm sure it'll be fine, welp.)
    Me too, trains and loads of luggage don't mix- but same, don't know how I'd cope without the laptop! That's annoying, although it does mean you'll never run out of room for packing stuff! I have the opposite problem, there don't seem to be any big bags in my house but to be honest I haven't really thought about this visit day much, I have no idea exactly what I'll bring. Less than a week! We should run into each other- I'm Peter, and I'm guessing from your profile name you're Sophie?

Me too, I don't really do much currently so I want to join loads of stuff at uni! Sounds good, I was going to go down the sporty side and maybe do tennis or badminton, or maybe start up something new. Exactly, uni is the best time to join loads of clubs! Me neither, I think I'll have to have another look at the PDF before monday, I've half-forgotten all the details :P. I'm nervous too, but also looking forward to it! Ouch, not exactly the most convenient time for coursework- I dropped english so I managed to avoid all coursework aha

ReputationRep:
    Me too, trains and loads of luggage don't mix- but same, don't know how I'd cope without the laptop! That's annoying, although it does mean you'll never run out of room for packing stuff! I have the opposite problem, there don't seem to be any big bags in my house but to be honest I haven't really thought about this visit day much, I have no idea exactly what I'll bring. Less than a week! We should run into each other- I'm Peter, and I'm guessing from your profile name you're Sophie?

Me too, I don't really do much currently so I want to join loads of stuff at uni! Sounds good, I was going to go down the sporty side and maybe do tennis or badminton, or maybe start up something new. Exactly, uni is the best time to join loads of clubs! Me neither, I think I'll have to have another look at the PDF before monday, I've half-forgotten all the details :P. I'm nervous too, but also looking forward to it! Ouch, not exactly the most convenient time for coursework- I dropped english so I managed to avoid all coursework aha
    I'll probably just bring the laptop along and use it while I travel, make sure it's near me all the time. Realistically I guess we won't need that much stuff for an overnight trip, though it is oop north so it'll probably be a bit windier and colder than down here, need to wrap up warm. I was in Yorkshire last weekend, and the wind was so cold.

I'm Sophie, yup--I've got blonde hair, just past the shoulder, and glasses. I'll probably be wearing a bright red coat, I should be fairly hard to miss. I'll keep an eye out for you; we should meet at dinner, or the Russian talk at least. I'm planning on going to that one second.

I do a lot of work at the moment, and not a lot else, so it'd be great to do clubs as well. Sports are not my thing, but I'm interested in some of the martial arts that are all about turning your opponent's strength on them rather than being a badass who can chop through wood--I'd get splinters in the first second--and all the ones that involve food sound right up my street. I do history and english, so I've had two lots of coursework this year ;-; I just keep telling myself that this time next Thursday it's all over...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaGrrrr)
    Yaaaay! I'm not the only one left for Chinese!
    I only applied on the Jan 15th deadline though, to be fair :P
    Do you know other people that have offers for Chinese at Durham? Or is the department just a slow one in general?
    ....found out that St Mary's college has an open day on Monday, and I haven't even heard from Durham yet!! :'(

ReputationRep:
    yeah I heard about a month ago . Have you heard from them yet?
    Still haven't, I'm not hopeful now to be honest but hey, it's kinda far anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felbss_x)
    I only applied on the Jan 15th deadline though, to be fair :P
    Do you know other people that have offers for Chinese at Durham? Or is the department just a slow one in general?
    ....found out that St Mary's college has an open day on Monday, and I haven't even heard from Durham yet!! :'(
    Well I applied in October, but I'm an EU :P
    I know nothing about other people, so I like to think the department is slow.

So sad about the open day! I really wanted to see what it would be like... I already missed a visit day at a different uni because I was snowed in. The sky is against me! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    Still haven't, I'm not hopeful now to be honest but hey, it's kinda far anyway
    Ah no! Well best of luck anyway, hope you get in . Yeah, it's really far away for me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopih)
    I'll probably just bring the laptop along and use it while I travel, make sure it's near me all the time. Realistically I guess we won't need that much stuff for an overnight trip, though it is oop north so it'll probably be a bit windier and colder than down here, need to wrap up warm. I was in Yorkshire last weekend, and the wind was so cold.

I'm Sophie, yup--I've got blonde hair, just past the shoulder, and glasses. I'll probably be wearing a bright red coat, I should be fairly hard to miss. I'll keep an eye out for you; we should meet at dinner, or the Russian talk at least. I'm planning on going to that one second.

I do a lot of work at the moment, and not a lot else, so it'd be great to do clubs as well. Sports are not my thing, but I'm interested in some of the martial arts that are all about turning your opponent's strength on them rather than being a badass who can chop through wood--I'd get splinters in the first second--and all the ones that involve food sound right up my street. I do history and english, so I've had two lots of coursework this year ;-; I just keep telling myself that this time next Thursday it's all over...
    Sounds like a good idea, I want to bring mine but it tends to muck up when I use it away from home, so not sure if it's worth it. Yup, definitely have something warm to wear- I have family in the north and every time I've gone to see them it's so much colder than down south! Sounds like it's going to be freezing then...

Indeed, I shouldn't have any problems seeing a bright red coat- I'm small with brown hair (not very helpful really haha), but I'll keep an eye out for you . We should definitely see each other in the Russian talk then, I'm going there second too .

I would love to say I worked hard, but I'd be telling a massive lie . But yeah, I think at uni there's definitely way more opportunities/time to look into joining things! Hahah agreed, pretty sure chopping wood is harder than it looks :P. History and English? God, you must have mountains of coursework, I don't envy you! Good that it's almost over though.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good idea, I want to bring mine but it tends to muck up when I use it away from home, so not sure if it's worth it. Yup, definitely have something warm to wear- I have family in the north and every time I've gone to see them it's so much colder than down south! Sounds like it's going to be freezing then...

Indeed, I shouldn't have any problems seeing a bright red coat- I'm small with brown hair (not very helpful really haha), but I'll keep an eye out for you . We should definitely see each other in the Russian talk then, I'm going there second too .

I would love to say I worked hard, but I'd be telling a massive lie . But yeah, I think at uni there's definitely way more opportunities/time to look into joining things! Hahah agreed, pretty sure chopping wood is harder than it looks :P. History and English? God, you must have mountains of coursework, I don't envy you! Good that it's almost over though.
    Mine is pretty hardy; I use it at school, so it has to be fairly robust. I took it up to Yorkshire with me and it survived the trip in a disgusting minibus, so trains should be all right for it. Oh god, it's forecast to snow on Tuesday! I love snow, but I love snow when I'm sat snugly at home. Though if anyone's up for making a snowman, I am so there.

Ahaha, that's one of the vaguer descriptions I've heard. As long as we have some vague idea of who the other is, it's less of a guessing game (is that one Peter?? what about that one??) I'm sure introductions will happen there, anyway. There's student entertainment happening according to the email, so prospective students will be congregating at some point, I expect.

I do 4 essay subjects, and the workload is killer; it's widely acknowledged that the French department are sadists at my school. Here's an essay, here's a presentation, here's 4 questions on this page, here's some translation, help. I'm going to finish the first draft of this coursework today, and then I have to start attacking editing the beast. Nearly done oh my god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaGrrrr)
    Well I applied in October, but I'm an EU :P
    I know nothing about other people, so I like to think the department is slow.

So sad about the open day! I really wanted to see what it would be like... I already missed a visit day at a different uni because I was snowed in. The sky is against me! :rolleyes:
    Ooh that's exciting, where in the EU? I like to think that too... Don't know how true it is though

Me too, and everyone will already have met each other oh gosh, which uni was that for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.