Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine Or Investment Banking Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know there are quite a few similar threads but none really helped. I'm at a point where i have to decide, with approaching a level choices, which career i would like to pursue.

Medicine is the more logical. I am very good at the sciences and have been consistently predicted a high A*. I am surrounded by contacts in medicine and up until recently this was the path i wanted to take. I knew i enjoyed chemistry and biology.

Recently however, i've been working out my number. By this i mean the amount of money which would make me switch to a different career path and IB is attractive. I also have contacts in IB, but the problem is that with medicine, i am guaranteed a job in something i know i would be good at. I was hoping for some advice on wether the money involved in IB outweighed the risks and cost of not following medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor: You're helping people, working alongside many beautiful nurses, and the general impression of a doctor is very positive.

Investment Banker: Stereotype is you're a money freak who does anything for money, and you're working with fellow workaholics who are also motivated by money.

Your choice. I know which I'd pick.

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you like really- people say that if you have a job as a doctor, youre sort of guaranteed that you wont loose it where as in the financial area, its not quite the same. You can loose your job very quickly.
    The competition for both is rising.

ReputationRep:
    Money is important when choosing a career. People will say it isn't but let's face it, we'd like to have a nice car/house etc. The thing is, if you only want to medicine for money you'll be making a mistake. Of course it pays better than average, but the salary isn't amazing considering that not only does it require far more years of study in addition to long and unsociable hours. I won't pretend to know much about ib, but i know that you need to be committed if you want to pursue a medicinal career.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for medicine since it's easier to go from being a doctor to a banker when you in four forties than going from a banker to a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAsianComplex)
    I know there are quite a few similar threads but none really helped. I'm at a point where i have to decide, with approaching a level choices, which career i would like to pursue.

Medicine is the more logical. I am very good at the sciences and have been consistently predicted a high A*. I am surrounded by contacts in medicine and up until recently this was the path i wanted to take. I knew i enjoyed chemistry and biology.

Recently however, i've been working out my number. By this i mean the amount of money which would make me switch to a different career path and IB is attractive. I also have contacts in IB, but the problem is that with medicine, i am guaranteed a job in something i know i would be good at. I was hoping for some advice on wether the money involved in IB outweighed the risks and cost of not following medicine.

I used to want to do investment banking for the money. However, as I matured I realised its not money I want.

I can't see how you'd be stuck between the two because they are quite opposite and simples, if you're interested in lots of money and a shorter degree go for IB.

If you generally want to study for a while and enjoy the caring side and application of science and arent fussed about money, then go for Medicine.

I think work experience in both fields should help and dont rush a decisioN!

ReputationRep:
    If i were to study medicine, i would only ever be satisfied with surgery, neurosurgery being very appealing. But i know that the years required to get there are very long. Both professions require extreme dedication and hours, its just a matter of doing what im good at or doing something with the same amount of effort, but with greater reward. I would like to help people, but the fact is, everyone has a number at which money supersedes this. For many this is very high. If i weren't to become a surgeon, i hear from many GP's etc. than too often, alot of their time is wasted seeing people with no problems and are just too stupid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.