Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anorexia Nervosa Recovery Story Watch

ReputationRep:
    i am 20 years old and i am a fully recovered male from Anorexia Nervosa. At the age of 14, i was diagnosed with Anorexia after 6 months of numerous medical exams to question why i was losing weight. seeing as i never heard of the disease, i was convinced that there was something wrong with me (i.e cancer) and neglected the fact that i was eating about 200 calories a day. when i was diagnosed, my BMI was less than 12 and i was given 4 weeks to live, it was a really scary time for me and my family.

I was admitted to Rhodes Farm, the best private eating disorders clinic in Europe, and was funded by the NHS. I was at Rhodes for nearly 1.5 years and missed most of my GSCE years. However, during that time i was in a documentary on the BBC called "im a boy anorexic" (which is on YouTube today) with two other boys. When is was realised i was still 'calorie counting', but i managed to get the best GCSE results in school, followed by 4 A*s in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths A-levels.

The part of my story that has inspired countless others to get better is what happened next. i got into the University of Cambridge to study medicine. I am now in my 3rd year and since i was 18 i have stopped calorie counting and am fully cured. my aspiration to become a doctor came from my personal experience in healthcare and my yearning to help people in need. before i was admitted i had always wanted to be an actor, but had to give it up when i realised it was a dead end. the idea that i cannot become an actor pains me even now. I have recently started a YouTube blog (www.youtube.com/smetin92) where i try to give advice to people with eating disorders and their families.

If you or someone you know is affected by an eating disorder, please watch my video blog for advice. i will make new videos from questions people have asked me. helping people means the world to me, so please feel free to ask anything you want.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smetin92)
    i am 20 years old and i am a fully recovered male from Anorexia Nervosa. At the age of 14, i was diagnosed with Anorexia after 6 months of numerous medical exams to question why i was losing weight. seeing as i never heard of the disease, i was convinced that there was something wrong with me (i.e cancer) and neglected the fact that i was eating about 200 calories a day. when i was diagnosed, my BMI was less than 12 and i was given 4 weeks to live, it was a really scary time for me and my family.

I was admitted to Rhodes Farm, the best private eating disorders clinic in Europe, and was funded by the NHS. I was at Rhodes for nearly 1.5 years and missed most of my GSCE years. However, during that time i was in a documentary on the BBC called "im a boy anorexic" (which is on YouTube today) with two other boys. When is was realised i was still 'calorie counting', but i managed to get the best GCSE results in school, followed by 4 A*s in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths A-levels.

The part of my story that has inspired countless others to get better is what happened next. i got into the University of Cambridge to study medicine. I am now in my 3rd year and since i was 18 i have stopped calorie counting and am fully cured. my aspiration to become a doctor came from my personal experience in healthcare and my yearning to help people in need. before i was admitted i had always wanted to be an actor, but had to give it up when i realised it was a dead end. the idea that i cannot become an actor pains me even now. I have recently started a YouTube blog (www.youtube.com/smetin92) where i try to give advice to people with eating disorders and their families.

If you or someone you know is affected by an eating disorder, please watch my video blog for advice. i will make new videos from questions people have asked me. helping people means the world to me, so please feel free to ask anything you want.

thanks
    So sorry that you've been through such a hard time - I am so happy for you that you have come through the other side! You have such an amazing story

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smetin92)

thanks
    well done mate, thats truely inspirational.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! You must be a very strong person! I respect you for going through that and beating it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Amazing story! Thank you for writing that post

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who has posted! the support i have got so far with my youtube blog has been brilliant. i really hope this can help others afflicted with this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.