Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is page 59 Q 3 b

ReputationRep:
    Since current is decreasing according to the graph, using V=IR states that voltage will also decrease. Once the voltage drops bellow 4v the hand dryer will no longer work. Use the known values of V0 (6v, initial voltage) and V (4v, final voltage) in the discharge equation

V = V0e^-(t/RC).

This will give the answer in seconds. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, it asks to use the graph. V= IR , 4 = I x 200 therefor I = 0.02. Use the graphs line of best fit which gives approx 8 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x11chickling)
    Since current is decreasing according to the graph, using V=IR states that voltage will also decrease. Once the voltage drops bellow 4v the hand dryer will no longer work. Use the known values of V0 (6v, initial voltage) and V (4v, final voltage) in the discharge equation

V = V0e^-(t/RC).

This will give the answer in seconds. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but why is this wrong ? (I know it asks for a graph but theoretically i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x11chickling)
    Apologies, it asks to use the graph. V= IR , 4 = I x 200 therefor I = 0.02. Use the graphs line of best fit which gives approx 8 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did that but the answer is in the range of 50 to 55 so you'll have to deduct 60 from 8 you have any idea why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Dont think it is unless ive messed mytheory up, but it gives the same answer as interpretation. Although, as you actually sub in T = RC as you value for RC as your given a time constant. The answer actually comes out as about 8.1s. So your using V = V0e^-(t/T). But non the less, I over complicated it with that method as it wanted you to interpret the graph. Apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The books answer is from 50-55 :O ? seems strange considering the math behind it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 4, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.