Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can anybody help me in this question in A2 phy red book by miles hudson Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is page 59 Q 3 b

ReputationRep:
    Since current is decreasing according to the graph, using V=IR states that voltage will also decrease. Once the voltage drops bellow 4v the hand dryer will no longer work. Use the known values of V0 (6v, initial voltage) and V (4v, final voltage) in the discharge equation

V = V0e^-(t/RC).

This will give the answer in seconds. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, it asks to use the graph. V= IR , 4 = I x 200 therefor I = 0.02. Use the graphs line of best fit which gives approx 8 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x11chickling)
    Since current is decreasing according to the graph, using V=IR states that voltage will also decrease. Once the voltage drops bellow 4v the hand dryer will no longer work. Use the known values of V0 (6v, initial voltage) and V (4v, final voltage) in the discharge equation

V = V0e^-(t/RC).

This will give the answer in seconds. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but why is this wrong ? (I know it asks for a graph but theoretically i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x11chickling)
    Apologies, it asks to use the graph. V= IR , 4 = I x 200 therefor I = 0.02. Use the graphs line of best fit which gives approx 8 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did that but the answer is in the range of 50 to 55 so you'll have to deduct 60 from 8 you have any idea why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Dont think it is unless ive messed mytheory up, but it gives the same answer as interpretation. Although, as you actually sub in T = RC as you value for RC as your given a time constant. The answer actually comes out as about 8.1s. So your using V = V0e^-(t/T). But non the less, I over complicated it with that method as it wanted you to interpret the graph. Apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The books answer is from 50-55 :O ? seems strange considering the math behind it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.