Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Constantly failing Psychometric Tests. Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I an currently on track to get a First from a Top 10 Uni but just cannot pass logic and numerical reasoning tests! I am getting really frustrated I have now failed to progress on 9 grad schemes because of this.

I have practised, and do get decent-ish scores on the practice tests. I have bought a package from Assessment Day which has helped me a bit but not dramatically.

Am I just screwed and expect to just to go into a rubbish job? I've always been very pro-active job wise but now think that there may not be anything I can do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is practise, practise, practise and guess what. practise some more. Performance in psychometric tests are largely based on 'fluid intelligence' - the kind of intelligence your literally born with, as opposed to 'crystallised intelligence' - the kind of intelligence you learn, adapt, use and modify through school and university. Getting a first at university usually means you have a high level of 'crystallised intelligence' but unfortunately these psychometric tests are not testing this type of intelligence.

The only thing you can do to improve is to practise and hope that you get lucky unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling. Having just done a maths degree I often felt like an absolute idiot failing numerical tests.

(Original post by Ravel)
    Performance in psychometric tests are largely based on 'fluid intelligence' - the kind of intelligence your literally born with, as opposed to 'crystallised intelligence' - the kind of intelligence you learn, adapt, use and modify through school and university. Getting a first at university usually means you have a high level of 'crystallised intelligence' but unfortunately these psychometric tests are not testing this type of intelligence.

The only thing you can do to improve is to practise and hope that you get lucky unfortunately.
    This is actually what I was going to talk about... I started practising numerical tests with Assessment days. For about two weeks, I'd just keep doing numerical tests. They weren't even similar to the SHL ones. Eventually, my speed and accuracy were above average. Then, I looked at the practise SHL questions (the 8 you get before each test) and spent some time on them, trying to figure out what they were testing and which answer was correct.

Having done this, I started doing actual tests. I've been passing them ever since.

People say that you can't "learn" how to pass psychometric tests, but I've found that this is just rubbish. Of course, passing the interview afterwards is another matter entirely, but getting there becomes a walk in the park after a while.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have this problem but the more I have done them the better marks I seem to be getting. I have done the online practices ad nausea and got 3 books on the subject. I don't worry about them as much as I used to, maybe that's having an impact.

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with this a few weeks ago. I've now done a couple a week and I'm not average/above average for numerical and logical.

I'd advise you to make 'alias' accounts for the companies you want to apply to, if they've got any vacancies available use alias emails and set up accounts just so you get a real feel for the tests. The one that I did it for give you feedback on your tests as well so you can see how quickly you're improving.

Assessment Day is also quite good. Whilst they are slightly easier, they all have the same fundementals. You need to master the process of getting to an answer, so by the time you read the question you already know I need to divide x by y times it by 100 and find the lowest sales or whatever it is.

It's horrible at first but practice helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I would do a few different things:

First I would practice as many tests as I could on as many different websites that you can find - you therefore get a lot of experience on a wide range of tests so nothing surprises you.

Next I would apply for jobs with fake accounts and screen shot the psychometric test questions. This means that you can forget about doing them in the time limit and instead take your time and figure out the patterns and what they are looking for you to demonstrate. Therefore, when you take the tests for real, you know what you need to do because it is likely that just the numbers/shapes will have changed!

These two strategies combined should improve your scores. If not then you have a choice between getting a friend to help you and hoping you don't have to do a re-test at an assessment centre (you don't always - out of the 4 I did last year only two made me re-test), or apply for smaller companies that don't have psychometric testing and rely more on the traditional interview.

ReputationRep:
    I found a completely free website to practice Numerical Reasoning Tests....says Logical and Verbal are coming soon but it's just numerical at the moment! Its pretty simple to use although the test layout is slightly annoying the question content is easily as good as other website which I have previously paid to use. www (dot) gradreasoningtests (dot) com GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maysie07)
    Hello.

I an currently on track to get a First from a Top 10 Uni but just cannot pass logic and numerical reasoning tests! I am getting really frustrated I have now failed to progress on 9 grad schemes because of this.

I have practised, and do get decent-ish scores on the practice tests. I have bought a package from Assessment Day which has helped me a bit but not dramatically.

Am I just screwed and expect to just to go into a rubbish job? I've always been very pro-active job wise but now think that there may not be anything I can do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    I know the feeling. Having just done a maths degree I often felt like an absolute idiot failing numerical tests.

This is actually what I was going to talk about... I started practising numerical tests with Assessment days. For about two weeks, I'd just keep doing numerical tests. They weren't even similar to the SHL ones. Eventually, my speed and accuracy were above average. Then, I looked at the practise SHL questions (the 8 you get before each test) and spent some time on them, trying to figure out what they were testing and which answer was correct.

Having done this, I started doing actual tests. I've been passing them ever since.

People say that you can't "learn" how to pass psychometric tests, but I've found that this is just rubbish. Of course, passing the interview afterwards is another matter entirely, but getting there becomes a walk in the park after a while.
    Hey everyone
    I failed a pwc AC yday because my scores for logical and numerical were way below the benchmark! As an economics student at a top 10 uni I feel pretty useless now!

I pretty much epitomise "crystallised" intelligence as I only really became smart at around GCSEs and before then was pretty thick.

I just wanted to ask whether you have secured any jobs since then (and passed numericals/logicals in doing so?) also do you have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Trick is to not attempt all the questions and instead focus on getting an 80% plus score while attempting only about 60-70% of the questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.