Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's a first class **** right there.

ReputationRep:
    What an absolute tit.

ReputationRep:
    First world-state misperception.

ReputationRep:
    He's right, there is no 'real' poverty in the UK, only relative poverty. I don't agree with his call to not to donate to food banks though; just because we're better off on average than a lot of other countries doesn't mean we should suddenly stop looking out for our own poor.
    I also think he raises an interesting point that is worthy of discussion, that there is a small yet significant number of people in this country that receive charity handouts and welfare or claim to be in hardship yet have no trouble getting hold of alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, or atleast there is a perception amongst the public that this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Compare some of the poor people from the UK to people from Africa, China, Brazil or India...

While I disagree with him on the fact that we shouldn't help our poor, we do have to remember that in comparison they are doing pretty well...

ReputationRep:
    He's a idiot for suggesting people should stop donating, but I completely agree with "pol pot noodles" there is no 'real poverty' in Britain because of things like food banks and homeless shelters! Yes it is by no means perfect but if you offered it to a family in Darfur, or another war torn example of extreme poverty, they would jump at such a chance!

ReputationRep:
    He does have a tiny point that some do indeed blow all their benefits on **** and booze and then pop down to the food bank to pick up free food and others just have terrible budgeting, however the abuse by a minority should not tar the majority of poor families who struggle to make ends meet. I'm a single person who doesn't smoke or drink and I remember the days when because of screw ups by the benefit office I went weeks without any money at all and had to cycle 10 miles all the way down to some place where they were giving out free food and back again for my one meal a day. The queues for that measly bit of vegetarian curry and bread were always extremely long even in the pouring rain. Now this fat, rich Tory who doesn't know a thing about poverty wants to take that service away? If he wore a top hat and monocle he would be straight out of 1910.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him to an extent to be honest. There is only relative poverty in the UK but food banks are still needed, definitely. I think the difference is that people here with no food have the chance to access it from soup kitchens, food banks and benefits. In developing countries, there is almost no opportunities like that.

So yeah, relative poverty.

ReputationRep:
    We all live in large country estates lounging around with butlering bringing our champaign on ice while we flick on our widescreen ceiling tv while lying on a float in our large swimming pools. Of course there's no poverty, what on earth suggests that there is?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with the statement on food banks, they have their place in the UK. Crises can happen any time to any of us, we all make mistakes with money those on low incomes have no buffer when it happens and generally a lack of education and often parental guidance.

However, I see where he is coming from as there IS no real poverty in England. There is only "relative poverty", I.e. you have less than 50% of the average income in the uk you are on low income and in poverty. People are not starving on the streets we have systems and money to prevent anyone starving to death.

Even those on the streets are there out of their own choice or because they break the rules!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no real poverty in Britain. Well, perhaps among illegal immigrants or other excluded people, but that's not an economic issue.

(Original post by S.R)
    I'm a single person who doesn't smoke or drink and I remember the days when because of screw ups by the benefit office I went weeks without any money at all and had to cycle 10 miles all the way down to some place where they were giving out free food and back again for my one meal a day.
    I think it's bizarre to defend foodbanks in this scenario. A person's needs are far more complex than food alone. In reality, you were dependent on your benefits - presumably - and yet you didn't get them. That's probably the major issue here.

(Original post by joey81)
    I disagree with the statement on food banks, they have their place in the UK. Crises can happen any time to any of us, we all make mistakes with money those on low incomes have no buffer when it happens and generally a lack of education and often parental guidance.
    There should be, and as far as I am aware is, procedures to alleviate that however. I'm thinking of DWP crisis loans and things of that nature.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Even those on the streets are there out of their own choice or because they break the rules!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Judgmental, much? Not everyone chooses to be on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are so ignorant. I am sorry, but there are people who live in squalor or on the streets. A small number, but seeing as benefit cheats are so hyped up...

ReputationRep:
    I
    WTF

ReputationRep:
    Apart from very specific cases, he is right. There is essentially no destitution within Britain (nor inside the rest of western europe).

However, this doesn't mean we should create destitution.

ReputationRep:
    How can people actually be agreeing with this utterly deluded statement?!

There is no real poverty in the UK? We have people who are forced to live on the street with no money, no food, no shelter... To say there is no real poverty in Britain is incomprehensibly ignorant and is insulting to each and every one of those people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    How can people actually be agreeing with this utterly deluded statement?!

There is no real poverty in the UK? We have people who are forced to live on the street with no money, no food, no shelter... To say there is no real poverty in Britain is incomprehensibly ignorant and is insulting to each and every one of those people.
    How many people actually live on the streets in the UK? And then consider the fact that there are about 64 million people in this country. Of course that doesn't excuse the cases that there are, but you seem to be blowing it quite a bit out of proportion. There will always be extreme cases, in every country. But that doesn't change the fact that we have reached a level of development in this country where by real poverty is all but non-existant, and there is help in place in the form of food banks, homeless shelters, temporary accomodation etc. for those who are indeed that unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    Fat Tory *******.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely agree (aside from an extremely small minority of cases), i'm sat here in my unemployed parents house having just eaten a pizza which cost £2 (you can buy 18 packets of Noodles for that) and Pepsi Max.

It may be tough but absolute poverty in the UK is very close to non-existent though i don't agree with abolishing welfare state entirely as he does.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.